X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1sT3rL
    Getting Somewhere
    • Mar 2006

DJing Needle Recommendations

I've had a pair of Trackmaster II's for 7 years. Now I'm wanting a change. Figure since I'm going with Serato, I wanted to get new needles. Any suggestions? Anyone hear anything good about Whitelabels by Shure? What about Ortofons? Thanks ahead of time.
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: Needle Recommendations

I used to have those Trackmaster IIs as well...solid needle but a bit heavy on the vinyl. I've heard good and bad about both...I suspect the Shures will be the better value for your dollar. This is assuming that you're a mix DJ and don't plan on scratching up a storm. Two things I have heard on some forums about the Whitelabels:

1. they can be a bitch to set up - too little OR too much tracking force = skip, especially if not broken in. But if you have them right, they supposedly hold quite well.

2. the needle itself seems to be more fragile and prone to breaking than others - not too surprising as this is a typical tradeoff with high-end sound needles.

But many people swear by them and they sound great. I briefly played on some that were broken in and they worked very nicely from what I could tell.

Haven't used much of anything in the Ortofon Concorde series...you'll have to investigate whether those DigiTracks are really worth it. Only thin I would add is obviously not to consider elliptical needles - even moreso given that you're going to be playing digital sound files anyways.
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

i've only used Ortofons in my dj'ing. I personally use the blue Concorde series. Have loved them since the day I bought them. Made my vinyl sound just as good as a cd with clarity.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Caley Martin
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Oct 2004

I switched from Whitelabels to Digitracks, since I am primarily DVS now. No problems thus far and they sound great!
        For your aural infusion of Caley:
        http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
        http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
        http://ultrawizardsword.net
        RA: Caley

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

Shure M-44G, won't ever use anything else. Track better than anything i've ever used. Super funky low end sound. They're made for turntablists. those in the know, know.

Comment

• Miroslav
            • Apr 2006

^^ That's what I use now. also lowest tracking force you can pretty much find for a good sounding needle

Comment

• jeffrey collins
              Not cool enough
              • Jun 2004

they also bite into the record more, and therefore the records don't last as long. One of the reasons most turntablists have three or four copies of their records.
              My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

no they don't track heavy at all. you're thinking the M44-7, or you're just generalizing about turntablist needles, which i would normally agree with you, but not in this case.

the M44-G is what you're after. those who know, know.

With the same unique Shure Type S cantilever as used on the M44-7, the M44G is a highly reliable performer, which is also easy on your vinyl.

Skip Resistance: very high
                Output: high
                Record Wear: very low
                Sound Emphasis: detailed bass and lows
                ^there ya go. it's the detailed bass and lows that make this cart shine imo. but don't trust the type, try them out. i used to be one of those ortofon guys back in the day, never again.

Comment

• BureOne
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

I used the grey ortofons and then switched to the yellow bananas and have had those for a very long time. Need to get me a new pair of needles tooo!! big time.

On vinyl I play mainly house. But I also have older vinyl such as Disco, New Wave 80's stuff. And old trance and prog.

I'll look into those MG things... also have any of you heard of those ortofon night club groove watchamacallits?

Comment

• Jenks
                    I'm kind of a big deal.
                    • Jun 2004

if you're playing anything even remotely funky, you're gonna want the 44Gs. if you're playing trance, it doesn't matter, use a porcupine or a piece of sandpaper or something.

Comment

• BureOne
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

Comment

• Miroslav
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                        they also bite into the record more, and therefore the records don't last as long. One of the reasons most turntablists have three or four copies of their records.
                        Originally posted by Jenks
                        no they don't track heavy at all. you're thinking the M44-7, or you're just generalizing about turntablist needles
                        Doesn't matter what needles turntablists use, they go through so many records cuz they actively tear the shit out of their vinyl for fun

cool thing with M44G is that we're talking optimal tralking force in 0.75-1.5g range - that's like half of your typical Orts with the same style spherical needle - and the thing still tracks great

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                          Not cool enough
                          • Jun 2004

unfortunately, in almost every club i would go to when people around here were spinning vinyl. They ALWAYS had the needles giving too much weight on the arm. It was always on full blast of weight, and everyone knows that is wrong. I would always go and fix that when I was spinning myself. But when you are spinning out you are fighting people on the floor who are dancing and possibly making the needle jumping like the dancers.

Yeah I was thinking of the 7 series needle.

That Night Club ortofon is supposed to be one of their best, but I always had the concorde and could never tell a difference. Hell you are spinning in a club, you're not spinning on an audiophile system where you want a $2K needle on the deck.
                          My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• kassios
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Been using ortofon concorde for 5 years i went from the black ones to the grey....don't see any difference, as for the shure had no experience on them.
                            http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

Working...