X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Earthquake!!

I know this sort of thing is very common for those of you in California, but I was awakened to my dog freaking out this morning, which was then immediately followed by an earthquake. My understanding is that no one was hurt and that the damage was fairy minimal, and with that being the case, I have to say that it was pretty fucking cool. Never experienced anything like that before, and it was positively surreal. I'm laying in bed, the house starts to rumble and then stops after a few seconds, and I'm thinking "Holy shit, was that an earthquake? In St. Louis?"

I can imagine that a big quake would be really scary, though. With almost any other sort of natural disaster, there's somewhere you can go and be assured safety. When the ground itself is no longer your friend, though, that's got to be pretty unnerving.

Was really odd that Truman (my dog) was up and about at the time. You always hear about animals having a 6th sense for that sort of thing -- they were even talking about that on the news this morning -- and although the rational part of me thinks that's ridiculous and that it was pure coincidence that Truman was up, it's really intriguing. He gets up in the middle of the night all the time for any of a host of different reasons and rarely bothers to let us know that he's up, but last night he jumped off the bed, spread out and crouched down on the ground, and started this growling/whining sound and just became more insistent with his growling when I asked him what was wrong. A few seconds later, the house started rumbling. Pretty wild.
  • Dhar_2
    meat and potatoes
    • Jun 2004

Re: Earthquake!!

no, animals have a sixth sense for these things.

and sometimes death they say!

its crazy, obviously a trait we have lost.

Comment

• threehills
      I heart Lollergirl
      • Jun 2005

Really cool about your dog! Maybe there were small rumblings that didn't wake you but set him off prior to your waking up? Maybe the building pressure before the quake set of some high pitched noise we wouldn't hear but agitated him? Who knows.
      It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• Steve Graham
        DJ Jelly
        • Jun 2004

animals can defintely sense stuff like that.. you birds flee when a massive storm is coming, dogs start to get uneasy when they can sense a storm is coming

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

It's not ridiculous...animals do have differently attuned senses. They can smell things we cannot and they can hear and feel things in various frequency ranges that we cannot.

yep a 5.2! strongest here in 40 years
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• pr0ficient
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Apr 2006

This woke me up when it happen around 5am. First one I have ever experienced here in the midwest.

Comment

• threehills
              I heart Lollergirl
              • Jun 2005

^ Yeah, I agree and would hesitate to call it a sixth sense. Its just their normal senses attuned to different things.

Could you imagine being able to smell some of the stuff they can? I think I would pass. They had a guy on the radio here not too long ago who could sense which women were menstruating. He couldn't explain fully how he knew, but he just did. They had 10 or so women in the studio and he guess correctly all of them what had their period.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                meat and potatoes
                • Jun 2004

great trick to make sure u score on a night out!!

otherwise some crazy fetich thing!!

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by threehills
                  ^ Yeah, I agree and would hesitate to call it a sixth sense. Its just their normal senses attuned to different things.

Could you imagine being able to smell some of the stuff they can? I think I would pass. They had a guy on the radio here not too long ago who could sense which women were menstruating. He couldn't explain fully how he knew, but he just did. They had 10 or so women in the studio and he guess correctly all of them what had their period.
                  that's got nowt to do with smell... just whichever ones are acting like cnuts

Comment

• threehills
                    I heart Lollergirl
                    • Jun 2005

So kinda on a related note about the senses...what about ESP and being psychic? Anyone believe in this? Any explanation for this? Highly tuned senses?

I honestly find it hard to believe in being psychic....but all be damned if my mother in law is not psychic. She has called on several occasions from another state and been able to describe what my wife is wearing or doing right before she called.

Just the other weekend, she said " I think Paul (her husband) is on his way home from work early". Sure enough, 5 seconds later the phone rang with Paul saying he was on his way home.

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

Really cool about your dog! Maybe there were small rumblings that didn't wake you but set him off prior to your waking up? Maybe the building pressure before the quake set of some high pitched noise we wouldn't hear but agitated him? Who knows.
                      Who knows indeed. I've been talking with other folks at my office since my original post, and the people that had dogs were all already up because their dogs were already up and barking before the quake hit. Maybe it was small pre-rumblings or something, because he was actually up at least a minute or two before I actually felt the quake. It was enough time for me to "argue" with the dog for a minute before actually getting up, then walk downstairs with him to see if he doggie door was closed or something.

As an aside, we just had another small quake while I was writing that last paragraph.

Comment

• DJJEFFJONES
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Nov 2005

My cat woke us up this morning and I though he was playing with the wooden blinds in my bedroom but it was the quake.

I just felt a tremor just about 5 mins ago. My office gently was shaking and the leaves on my plant in here were moving.

Or I am just recovering from last night.. lol
                        http://www.idgafclothing.com

Comment

• Dhar_2
                          meat and potatoes
                          • Jun 2004

Just the other weekend, she said " I think Paul (her husband) is on his way home from work early". Sure enough, 5 seconds later the phone rang with Paul saying he was on his way home.
                          weirdly i kinda know where my ex is (in a non stalker way)

i know when she is near or not (we work in the same company)

its weird i know that i'm going to see her, or she's away. just a gut feeling. cant really explain it!

Comment

• pr0ficient
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DJJEFFJONES
                            My cat woke us up this morning and I though he was playing with the wooden blinds in my bedroom but it was the quake.

I just felt a tremor just about 5 mins ago. My office gently was shaking and the leaves on my plant in here were moving.

Or I am just recovering from last night.. lol
                            I just felt it again, about 20 minutes ago as well

Comment

• 88Mariner
                              My dick is smaller
                              • Nov 2006

i heard st. louis is going to slide into the mississippi river. you better get out of there while there's still time....
                              you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

Working...