X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

I just got a dog.......

..........and I'm stressed now because it's a lot of responsibility!

Friend of mine split with his gf and they couldn't look after their 7 month old Weimaraner - so I said I'd have him. He's gorgeous and house-trained, but it's gonna take some getting used to! I can't just go out down the pub for a few beers without checking someone is home to look after him!

Anyone have any problems with young dogs?
  • poults
    Platinum Poster
    • Nov 2006

Re: I just got a dog.......

My neighbours had a couple of them and they had to watch them because they would eat anything including stones. Both of them had numerous operations to get things removed from there stomachs so keep an eye out for that.
    Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• Miroslav
      WHOA I can change this!1!
      • Apr 2006

get a cat. they don't need constant attention, don't go apeshit every time something moves, and don't ooze slobber on everyone in the vicinity. they just sit around and act aloof.
      mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Jibgolly
        Vortexuralizor
        • Jun 2004

you'll want to housetrain him:

as so:

set him up in your kitchen (or similar room) where you can block him off and have newspapers on the floor at all times.

when he shits or pisses, rub his nose in it, not despitefully, but as a learning curve for the dog. after 2 or 3 time they learn not to do it. i shit you not (pun intended)

dogs learn thru being scolded, but dont confuse scolding with abuse. its one thing to rub his nose in it now, but another when the dog is fucking 5 years old.

i'm sure there are bleeding hearts who will oppose my advice, but having raised several dogs to be loyal to me, this was the method i used every time. they learn by being disciplined.

if you don't discipline them they will shit on your shit for all times to come.

dont get me wrong, they will still chew your shoes or remote controls. or mp3 players, but they wont leave a heaping mound of steam on your carpet after a few nose dives.

learning them NOT to chew your belongings is another story but learning them not to default in your house is #1 priority.

Comment

• simonr
          Transitionator
          • Jun 2004

Couldn't you have taken the ex-girlfriend instead ?
          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• fabric8
            200mph Club
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by simonr
            Couldn't you have taken the ex-girlfriend instead ?

after Jibbies "how to" segment, the ex is looking like a better deal

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
              you'll want to housetrain him:

as so:

set him up in your kitchen (or similar room) where you can block him off and have newspapers on the floor at all times.

when he shits or pisses, rub his nose in it, not despitefully, but as a learning curve for the dog. after 2 or 3 time they learn not to do it. i shit you not (pun intended)

dogs learn thru being scolded, but dont confuse scolding with abuse. its one thing to rub his nose in it now, but another when the dog is fucking 5 years old.

i'm sure there are bleeding hearts who will oppose my advice, but having raised several dogs to be loyal to me, this was the method i used every time. they learn by being disciplined.

if you don't discipline them they will shit on your shit for all times to come.

dont get me wrong, they will still chew your shoes or remote controls. or mp3 players, but they wont leave a heaping mound of steam on your carpet after a few nose dives.

learning them NOT to chew your belongings is another story but learning them not to default in your house is #1 priority.
              He said the dog is already house trained. !! Thank goodness !! There are a lot easier and more pleasant ways to housetrain a dog than your suggestions

Greg, do you live in a house? Dogs don't normally need to be baby sat all the time. Just make sure they have plenty of exercise and toys to play with so they don't get bored!! Once they have done teething the chewing thing is usually from boredom!

I love having a dog.
              Originally posted by TheVrk
              it IS incredible isn't it??
              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

We just got an American Golden Retriever at 7 months. We keep her at the back of the house with minimal stuff to chew on except her bones and toys. She's also house trained so she only does her business out in the garden (was previously trained to do it on newspapers).

IMO the main issue with pups are chewing and shitting all over the place. You don't have to babysit them much as long as the area they live in are set up for them.

Only thing to take note is some pups need attention or start whining/crying/barking when left alone for too long. So that's the only thing you have to worry about.

And remember to feed them. We always feed our pups twice a day.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                  meat and potatoes
                  • Jun 2004

i want a dog!! but cant because i havent got a garden so it would be unfair on him.

post pics!

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dhar_2
                    i want a dog ... a chihuahua ... when i get back to my small flat ... i want to hear somebody bark ... oh ... you can get lonely!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Oct 2005

I want pic's.. damn it !!!! IIIIIIIII LLLLLLOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE DDDDDDOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Play with him. rough house him.. they love it.. I want pic's

Comment

• Dhar_2
                        meat and potatoes
                        • Jun 2004

sweet jesus man!

calm down!!!

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Oct 2005

^^^^ .. PIC'S NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• GregWhelan
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

Fortunately he is house trained so I don;t have to worry about that, but thanks anyway Jib. I do need to teach him to calm down though when we are walking - he is pulling the bloody arm off me.

I broke my heart this morning when I left for work - I could hear him whining as I left! But there are always a lot of people around the house so he's never alone for too long

Comment

• Jenks
                              I'm kind of a big deal.
                              • Jun 2004

no. dogs learn through positive reinforcement, not "being scolded." reward your dog for doing things right. The only negative word you should teach your dog is NO.

positive reinforcement > your way

and, not all dogs are the same. pick up a book on your type of dog, they all have different personality traits. learn yours before applying "across the board" type advice.

Comment

Working...