• Jun 2004

Re: calvin and hobbes

wow, the last C&H was in 1995?

Comment

• drucki
      Getting warmed up
      • Mar 2008

yes...this was the last strip that was published in a newspaper but the last collection was published in 2005

wikipedia about his retirement:
      Dear Reader:

I will be stopping Calvin and Hobbes at the end of the year. This was not a recent or an easy decision, and I leave with some sadness. My interests have shifted however, and I believe I've done what I can do within the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. I am eager to work at a more thoughtful pace, with fewer artistic compromises. I have not yet decided on future projects, but my relationship with Universal Press Syndicate will continue.

That so many newspapers would carry Calvin and Hobbes is an honor I'll long be proud of, and I've greatly appreciated your support and indulgence over the last decade. Drawing this comic strip has been a privilege and a pleasure, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity.

Sincerely,
      Bill Watterson
      – Watterson's letter to newspaper editors announcing his retirement, November 9, 1995

Comment

• Steve Graham
        DJ Jelly
        • Jun 2004

man, i had no idea.. funny stuff tho.. i agree to that the far side was soem quality, but no where near as consistant as calvin n hobbes

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

love these hardbound collections. i have the complete far side and am working my way thru the don martin collection.

don martin drew some of the funniest stuff around, no one drew people the way he did.

Comment

• threehills
            I heart Lollergirl
            • Jun 2005

What's Bill Watterson been up to the past 13 years?
            It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• gjg21
              Gold Gabber
              • Jul 2004

I see (and agree with) your c&h and raise you:

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by threehills
                What's Bill Watterson been up to the past 13 years?

Since ending the strip, Watterson has kept away from the public eye and has given no indication of resuming the strip, creating new works based on the characters, or embarking on other projects. He refuses to sign autographs or license his characters, staying true to his stated principles. In previous years, he was known to sneak autographed copies of his books onto the shelves of the Fireside Bookshop, a family-owned bookstore in his home of Chagrin Falls, Ohio. However, after discovering that some people were selling the autographed books online for high prices, he ended this practice as well. He is a notable recluse, and very reluctant to give interviews and make public appearances.
                In 2005, Watterson and his wife, Melissa, moved from Chagrin Falls to the City of Cleveland.[16][17] On December 21, 1999, a short piece called "Drawn Into a Dark But Gentle World," written by Watterson to mark the forthcoming end of the comic strip Peanuts, was published in the Los Angeles Times.[18] In October of 2005, Watterson answered fifteen questions submitted by readers.[19] His most recent foray into public was on October 17, 2007, with a review of Schulz and Peanuts, a biography of Charles Schulz, in the Wall Street Journal.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• threehills
                  I heart Lollergirl
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by gjg21
                  I see (and agree with) your c&h and raise you:

Bloom County. Good Call. That bit where Opus had a nose job was pretty good.
                  It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

Working...