^completely agree.
    ^completely agree agree.
    "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

• kfitz
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

Re: James Holden in NYC at Cielo = best prog I've ever heard

I wouldn't consider what he spun on sunday proggy at all. He started out with some minimal and built it up from there. During the peak hours I would call it melodic tech house... I do understand where the trance comments come from though because he was like that at Sullivan Room here last year...

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kfitz";p="
        He started out with some minimal .... During the peak hours I would call it melodic tech house... ...
        1. James Holden wouldn't know minimal techno if it slapped him in the face.

2. Melodic Tech House? There's a new one.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Ive seen some reviews that said he played a lot of prog but "good prog"...which to me is an oxymoron. either way you like what you like....

Comment

• themonk
            Getting Somewhere
            • Oct 2004

I love his production work and the Border Community artists he supports, and I think his Balance mix (which is more of a studio mix than a dj mix) is absolutely brilliant, but I've downloaded a few dj set and they don't do it for me. Dj'ing is a real art that requires years of nurturing, and moving the floor is not easy. For me the sets simply don't "move the floor" and lack a sense of rhythmic continuity that helps put people in a trance (i use this term in its real meaing) and lock them in a groove.

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DreamGirlie";p="
              Ive seen some reviews that said he played a lot of prog but "good prog"...which to me is an oxymoron. either way you like what you like....
              "good prog" is an oxymoron?

how so?

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

^because there isn't any. lol.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Comment

• kfitz
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks";p="
                    He started out with some minimal .... During the peak hours I would call it melodic tech house... ...
                    1. James Holden wouldn't know minimal techno if it slapped him in the face.

2. Melodic Tech House? There's a new one.
                    1. Typical elitist techno-head post. I have no idea how much JH "knows" about minimal but he used it effectively in his set. Deal with it...

2. Maybe I described the sound poorly, maybe it was more like ambient techno or tech house with a ton of effects, but whatever it was it was neither proggy or trancey...

Comment

• Johnnyboy
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DreamGirlie";p="
                      DG... I missed him at Avalon... But my friends that saw him said that it was a great show... Too damn bad because I love his work and would have loved to see him at the Avy.
                      Remember: You are never more than six days away from FRIDAY!!!

Comment

• Jenks
                        I'm kind of a big deal.
                        • Jun 2004

1. Typical elitist techno-head post. I have no idea how much JH "knows" about minimal but he used it effectively in his set. Deal with it...
                        :ROFLMAO: fair enough on the elitist techno head thing, but seriously man, i've seen JH live and i've seen countless minimal djs live as well, whatever it was JH was playing, i can assure you, it wasn't minimal techno. I'll give that kid his due in the studio, (hell, even i've played that spears dub thing he did.) Even the first part of his set (3-5 records) when i saw him live was pretty nails, but then it went downhill fast and into a boring hodge podge that sounded like one big fucking prog record. Of everything i've ever heard from him, records, sets, reviews, etc...never heard him get the minimal tag. If you wish, pm me, and i'll give you some links to some proper minimal techno, and if you tell me that's what james holden was playing, i'll eat my hat.

cheers

Comment

• kfitz
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

:ROFLMAO: fair enough on the elitist techno head thing, but seriously man, i've seen JH live and i've seen countless minimal djs live as well, whatever it was JH was playing, i can assure you, it wasn't minimal techno. I'll give that kid his due in the studio, (hell, even i've played that spears dub thing he did.) Even the first part of his set (3-5 records) when i saw him live was pretty nails, but then it went downhill fast and into a boring hodge podge that sounded like one big fucking prog record. Of everything i've ever heard from him, records, sets, reviews, etc...never heard him get the minimal tag. If you wish, pm me, and i'll give you some links to some proper minimal techno, and if you tell me that's what james holden was playing, i'll eat my hat.

cheers
                          I don't mean that he spun a minimal set. All I really mean was in the very beginning he spun a few minimal records and brought it up from there. I'm talking 2-3 tops. I respect your opinion of minimal and your opinion of JH on the night you saw him. Apparently the reviews have been pretty bad on most of the nights he's been in the US, but in NY he brought the goods. I wasn't much of a JH fan prior to Sunday, but I am now. As far as proper minimal is concerned, I'm not much of a spotter so I can't give you track names, but I've seen the likes of Hawtin, Magda, 112, etc on many occasions so I do know what quality minimal sounds like... As a matter of fact, I got to see StL's very own Drew Rasse the last time he came down here...

Yanks vs Cards in the WS!

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

oh good god, Drew. you know him?

Comment

• kfitz
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

oh good god, Drew. you know him?
                              I don't know Drew but i know his brother Zach... Dennis Rodgers had him over for his birthday party...

Comment

• nastyrasti
                                Fresh Peossy
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by themonk";p="
                                I love his production work and the Border Community artists he supports, and I think his Balance mix (which is more of a studio mix than a dj mix) is absolutely brilliant, but I've downloaded a few dj set and they don't do it for me. Dj'ing is a real art that requires years of nurturing, and moving the floor is not easy. For me the sets simply don't "move the floor" and lack a sense of rhythmic continuity that helps put people in a trance (i use this term in its real meaing) and lock them in a groove.
                                i can only vouche for what i heard sunday night, and that was prog at its finest, its envelope pushing outward. whoever wants to label it trance gets a raised eyebrow that says, "you don't know what the fuck you're talking about." i know trance, and this isn't it. not pvd. not astral projection. not epic or psytrance or progressive trance or any other dorky nonsense (not to hate, but...).

what i heard, sober, was a combo of very fresh and odd and psychedelic melodies (i'm a musician and i know music), tweaked to all hell but still minimal. top notch production, morphing 80s synth-like sounds vocoded, matched with tripped out, minimal rhythms and crisp to muddled beats juxtaposed against bassdrop surprises. some "new genre" may do that, but this easily qualifies as prog in the sense that his sound is redefining sound itself.

i've always known prog as sasha and digweed define it. others do it well too, but these guys are the godfathers, as are their tastes in track and production.

holden produces with intense sophistication, and his dj set matched, if not exceeded, that level of sophistication. he was dead on point. every sound was carefully considered and well-worked.

i haven't heard a set on the net that is even half as good as what i heard sober on sunday night at cielo. then again, i left at 230/300.

Comment

Working...