• Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kfitz";p="
    Originally posted by Jenks";p="
    oh good god, Drew. you know him?
    I don't know Drew but i know his brother Zach... Dennis Rodgers had him over for his birthday party...
    dennis = 1 cool mfker.

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

^because there isn't any. lol.
      I disagree, but whatever, thats neither here nor there, I dont want to get into a useless argument, lol. I like all kinds of EDM if it is good, it's good...

classic line on your signature by the way... did you make that up?

Comment

• kfitz
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by djway";p="
        His exposure set from earlier this year is probably the best set of his I've heard this year. 3 hours long. It's got all his good shit in it.
        The set's a few months old, but it's got his journey all over it. Good to Great mixing also.

A torrent link to the set = http://www.torrentbox.com/download.p...re_mp3.torrent

And the TL of the set. It's killar I tells you!

01. petter - freak & love.
        02. Paul Jackson - The Way We Do It
        03. Petter - Untitled Acid
        04. Josh Wink - Oakish
        05. ID
        06. Scape one - Milieu (James Holden Edit) with Holden & Thompson - Nothing (acapella)
        07. PQM and Phil K - They just won't let me be
        08. Petter - All Together
        09. ID
        10. Agoria - la onzieme marche (Alexander Kowalski remix)
        11. ID
        12. Reinhard Voigt - Supertiel
        13. MFA - Difference it makes (Petter mix)
        14. Ozgur Can - Sometimes
        15. Jase From Outter Space - Do What You Want (Infusion Mix)

Part 2

15. Jase From Outter Space - Do What You Want (Infusion Mix)
        16. The MFA - 2 Billion Year Journey
        17. Kosmas Epilson - Architech
        18. Nathan Fake - Adamedge
        19. ID
        20. Meerkat - Colours (James Holden Re-edit)
        21. Petter - Modern Eternity
        22. ID
        23. Britney Spears - Breathe On Me (James Holden Dub)
        24. Britney Spears - Breathe On Me (James Holden Club Mix)
        25. Perc - Closer (Nathan Fake Remix)
        26. Yilmaz Altanhan - Eighties
        27. The MFA - The Difference It Makes
        28. Petter - Left Turned
        29. Nikola Gala - Swing 2 Harmony

Part 3

30. Nikola Gala - Swing 2 Harmony with PQM - You are Sleeping (Accapella)
        31. Filterheadz - Yimanya
        32. Luke Chable - Melburn with Holden & Thompson - Nothing (Accapella)
        33. The MFA - Motherload
        34. James Holden - I Have Put Out The Light
        35. Valentino - Flying (Sultan & Tonedepth Remix)
        36. ID

--djway

PS I'm in Australia, no I didn't hear Holden, but the Troopers have also given the set glowing reports!

How do you open the torrent file??

Comment

• kfitz
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kfitz";p="
          oh good god, Drew. you know him?
          I don't know Drew but i know his brother Zach... Dennis Rodgers had him over for his birthday party...
          dennis = 1 cool mfker.
          Dennis is the shit...

Comment

• cmd
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by nastyrasti";p="
            i can only vouche for what i heard sunday night, and that was prog at its finest, its envelope pushing outward. whoever wants to label it trance gets a raised eyebrow that says, "you don't know what the fuck you're talking about." i know trance, and this isn't it. not pvd. not astral projection. not epic or psytrance or progressive trance or any other dorky nonsense (not to hate, but...).

what i heard, sober, was a combo of very fresh and odd and psychedelic melodies (i'm a musician and i know music), tweaked to all hell but still minimal. top notch production, morphing 80s synth-like sounds vocoded, matched with tripped out, minimal rhythms and crisp to muddled beats juxtaposed against bassdrop surprises. some "new genre" may do that, but this easily qualifies as prog in the sense that his sound is redefining sound itself.

i've always known prog as sasha and digweed define it. others do it well too, but these guys are the godfathers, as are their tastes in track and production.

holden produces with intense sophistication, and his dj set matched, if not exceeded, that level of sophistication. he was dead on point. every sound was carefully considered and well-worked.

i haven't heard a set on the net that is even half as good as what i heard sober on sunday night at cielo. then again, i left at 230/300.
            dude, I don't know how you can classify JH's set last Sunday @ Cielo as the best progressive. Of course, it was not progressive in the general meaning of the term. Just because you are musician, it doesn't guarantee you can identify every style of music... hell, every kid on this board is a DJ.... and I don't see how you can make association between the style played by Holden and Digweed...

I would have to agree with kfitz as far as classifying the set. To me it seemed like electro progressive. But not progressive. I was ready to be devastated by Solstice or Nothing, but it seems like Holden right now is far away from that kind of progressive. Overall, the set was nice, I kind of was surprised too by it and in the end I liked it too... Props to Made and the people @ Cielo for making this event happen and for creating the warm athmosphere during the night.

And if you left around 230/300 I think you might have missed the best part...

Comment

• lucasvickers
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by nastyrasti";p="
              i've always known prog as sasha and digweed define it. others do it well too, but these guys are the godfathers, as are their tastes in track and production.

holden produces with intense sophistication, and his dj set matched, if not exceeded, that level of sophistication. he was dead on point. every sound was carefully considered and well-worked.

i haven't heard a set on the net that is even half as good as what i heard sober on sunday night at cielo. then again, i left at 230/300.
              let me begin my ripping

sasha and digweed have both sucked hardcore every time I have seen them. The reason we haven't heard music anywhere as good in a while is because most of the music flooding nyc is poppy and crappy

holden was great opening with really chilled techy prog (sorry for the stupid lingo throwing), but as the night progressed i drank myself into oblivion to enjoy it, I'll be honest. He should have gotten deep and dark to contrast his opening nicely but he stayed light and fluffy which the crowd loves but as a dj he wasn't anything special. None the less I had a good night.

ps i was the 6'4 guy by the bar with kinda long dirty hair who was hanging with a few mates
              War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
              - Ambrose Bierce

Comment

• Luke
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

Re: James Holden in NYC at Cielo = best prog I've ever heard

go Frodo

holden's on a tear as of late imo...hope he doesn't taper off
                http://www.lukemorrison.com/

Comment

• Maikol
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jul 2004

he is the man his sound is amazing, maybe the best

Comment

• itsjung
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

i heard from someone that went there that the music was really reallly good. however , i had holden also had trouble beat matching.

thats kind of a turn off. a dj that has trouble beat matching.

i still love his productions though.

Comment

• BuzzFuzz
                      Addiction started
                      • Feb 2007

Can any1 upload this set?

Comment

• MusicJatt
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Aug 2004

dude an '04 set, where did this come from ?

Comment

• pipey
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Mar 2007

can anyone please post links to this that aren't torrents?
                          Originally posted by Kamal
                          Thank you Dr. Needle for attending the balloon Party

Comment

• trick12
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jul 2007

someone started a thread recently on p&r with a bunch of holden's sets old and new on mega….look through artist database and give thanks to the awesome uploader
                            Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• Fooja
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

i searched the artist database and couldn't find this set. Can someone re-up this.THx

Comment

Working...