Do you really want a guy who can't think on his feet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Do you really want a guy who can't think on his feet?

As has been discussed on this board and in the press quite a bit over the election season, it is well-known that the Bush team is very picky about who is allowed into his campaign events -- you are required to sign an oath of loyalty, etc. Kerry, in contrast, is not as strict about who can attend (which has resulted in some dissent at some of his events).

The result is that Bush whistlestops are nothing more than a love-in, with softball questions lobbed his way. You all saw the result in the first debate when Bush was, for the first time this election season, challenged on any of his points and policies -- he looked flustered, confused and irritated. Kerry, more accustomed to getting hard questions, kicked his ass.

Do you really want a guy who needs to be surrounded by "yes men" to make a good appearance? Bush is at his best when the circumstances are tightly controlled -- when they are not, he can't hang (which might also explain why he has had less press conferences than any president since press conferences became a significant way of communicating from the White House).

Outside of the first debate, the only moment I can think of where Bush was in a similarly unscripted and uncontrolled environment is the seven minutes that immediately followed the second plane hitting the WTC shown in F9/11 -- and in that seven minutes, Bush had the same confused, troubled look he did during the first debate.

I believe that how one deals with adversity on his or her feet is germane to the question of what kind of a leader he or she is. The two times I've seen Bush deal with adversity, the immediate reaction has been less than reassuring.

Just a thought.
  • mixu
    Travel Guru Extraordinaire
    • Jun 2004

Re: Do you really want a guy who can't think on his feet?

Funny you should say that today as I've just read this:

Bush's operation has taken stage management to extremes. His handlers have figured - correctly - that the press conference format suits their man poorly and is to be avoided at all costs. His last primetime press conference was in April 2004, and he has had only two with the White House press corps since late August - both of them with the Iraqi prime minister, Ayad Allawi, at his side. (The Bush campaign actually wrote Allawi's speech in order to squeeze out precious political points.)

Bush's campaign appearances are not much better. While Kerry's events are open to the public, Bush's affairs require the signing of a "loyalty oath". Quietly wearing an anti-Bush T-shirt or badge is grounds for expulsion.

Bush faces only adoring audiences vetted by the campaign's enforcers. At his town hall events, questions are planted for maximum political effect. At one, a veteran merely got up and requested permission to salute his commander in chief.
    Interesting read...

The Bush campaign was once happy to use 'angry' as a term of abuse - but that was before the US public met Furious George, writes US political blogger Markos Moulitsas.
    Ask me a question...

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Along the same lines, I saw that Bush has decided to take a pass on visiting with 25,000 AARP members in Las Vegas despite the fact that he will be in town anyway and has nothing else planned at the time. Political analysts have opined that Bush doesn't want to run the risk of being booed off stage by 25,000 angry seniors who are upset about the Medicare reform Bush is touting as a victory for seniors.

Comment

Working...