For anyone thinking of doing this, highly, highly recommended. At least twice as fast as my old g network, and the sound quality beaming songs around the house is actually better than I expected. Great products, both of them...
Apple Airport Extreme/Express
Collapse
X
-
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
For anyone thinking of doing this, highly, highly recommended. At least twice as fast as my old g network, and the sound quality beaming songs around the house is actually better than I expected. Great products, both of them... -
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
So can you use Airport Extreme + external hdd as an NAS, or is it automated to work only with Time Machine for system backups?
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
honestly, I haven't had a chance to give that a whirl yet -- I need to grab a power strip to free up outlet space near the base station for the drive -- but my understanding from the documentation is that either works. I'll let you know, though, as I should have it up and running by Friday at the latest...Comment
-
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
Sweet thanks, if it works as a normal drag-and-drop file NAS + Time Machine + router + music stream ... this is just about perfect

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
I think it does work for normal file sharing.
Sharing and Securing USB Hard Disks on Your AirPort Extreme
Base Station
If you connect a USB hard disk to your AirPort Extreme Base Station, computers connected to the network, both wireless and wired, can use it to back up, store, and share files.
To share a USB hard disk on you network:
1 Plug the hard disk into the USB port on the back of the base station.
2 Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a Mac, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows
3 Select your base station, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu, or double-click the base station to open its configuration in a separate window. Enter the base station password if necessary.
4 Click Disks in the toolbar, and then click File Sharing.
5 Choose “With a disk password,” or “With base station password” if you want to secure the shared disk with a password, or choose “With accounts” if you want to secure the disk using accounts.
If you choose to use accounts, click Configure Accounts, click the Add (+) button, and then enter a name and password for each user that will access the disk.
6 Choose “Not allowed,” “Read only,” or “Read and write” to assign guest access to the disk.
7 Select the “Share disks over Ethernet WAN port” checkbox if you want to provide remote access to the disk over the WAN port.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
I went ahead and attached a bus-powered drive to the base (Extreme) and it works like a champ as a file sharing drive. Great thing is that that is the drive I use for storage of all my tunes, and iTunes still recognizes it as such even though it is no longer connected directly to my MB -== notwithstanding that I didn't do shit other than just plug it in.
FYI, the Express can be used for network printing, but not for network drives -- the drive has to be used on the Extreme. Will report back after I get the TM drive attached, to confirm that it works for that, too...Comment
-
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
Airport Extreme Base costs AUD249 ... wondering if there is a more economical option. Maybe a wireless modem/router + NAS with built-in BT downloader.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Apple Airport Extreme/Express
Wow. that Airport seems like it's a good 4-5 steps ahead of all other routers. No wonder it costs so much more. Think I might eventually be interested in one.Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,210
Posts: 1,238,525
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 32
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment