X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Obama Promises Germany-Plus

I oftentimes like what Obama says and I don't like what we currently have, but...there's one thing that worries me a little bit about Obama. This article neatly summarizes it.

Obama Promises Germany-Plus
    By GABOR STEINGART
    May 10, 2008; Page A9

When I begin to feel homesick for Germany, I have discovered a cheap and easy way out. I simply turn on the TV and listen to a Barack Obama stump speech.
    The promised land of universal health care, secure pensions, a lot of green-collar jobs and stable bridges brings me back to my home country. My grandma, who has worked in a post office all her life, enjoys her pension without having ever observed the stock market. Everyone who travels through the countryside can see thousands of windmills, but never a collapsed bridge. And the best: My mom, my friends and everyone around them have access to first-class medical services.

Sometimes it appears to me that Mr. Obama wants to trump all that. He has promised not only a $160 billion program for new green-collar jobs, a higher minimum wage, affordable health care for everybody, a massive investment in infrastructure and tax-free status for pensioners who make less than $50,000. All these nice things come with no tax increase for 95% of Americans. Wow! That's Germany-plus!

I've been in the U.S. for a while, but if I remember my home country correctly, all the German comforts come with a price. My grandma has paid 10% of her salary to the public pension system, and her employer has matched the contribution. For our health insurance everyone has to sacrifice 7% of his or her earnings, which again is matched by the company. Fashionable windmills go along with extra taxes for fuel. A gallon of regular gas in Munich or Berlin costs – fasten your seat belt – more than $8.

Not all of my fellow Germans are happy with this, but the overwhelming majority of my fellow countrymen made their decision a long time ago. They prefer big government. They have learned to live with growth rates far behind and an unemployment rate far above the U.S.

Maybe I am being unfair to Mr. Obama. But it seems to me that the agent of change was window-shopping in Germany without looking at the price tag. You should ask him for the bill.

Mr. Steingart is the senior correspondent in Washington, D.C., for Der Spiegel news magazine and author of the "The War for Wealth – The True Story of Globalization" (McGraw Hill, 2008 ).
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav
  • day_for_night
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Obama Promises Germany-Plus

if you guys stopped spending billion upon billion on your military...

Comment

• shosh
      Banned
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by day_for_night
      if you guys stopped spending billion upon billion on your military...
      at least we have one.

btw are you guise still on strike?

all jk

Comment

• day_for_night
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

i meant that if obama gets in he may cut military spending in iraq to fund his initiatives

you guys are spending $5,000 a SECOND over therer...so there is a bit of money going 'round.

Comment

Working...