X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Jim Edmonds a Cub

Glad to see that Jimmy will have an opportunity to end his career in a manner other than being cut by the Padres, but honestly man, could you have gone to a different team? Any other team, honestly. The thought of Edmonds in a Cubs uniform just seems so bizarre to me.

Evidently, Cubs fans are even less pleased:

I offer the below reactions from a few of the biggest Cubs' blogs, a group of influentials who haven't referred to Edmonds as anything but Lassie since he was actually an impact-type player for the Cardinals. (I'll let you adults research that nickname on your own.)

Goat Riders of the Apocalypse: "Since Edmonds is the newest Cub, he shall be designated as a rookie for the duration of the '08 season (even if real rookies later join the squad). Consequently, he shall be forced to wear women's garments on all road trips, and he shall be taunted and bullied before every game. ...come to think of it, this is not unlike his normal routine."

View From The Bleachers: "I just pictured him in a Cubs uniform. His evil was burning through it like in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark burned the Nazi symbol off the box it was in. (That’s not a perfect analogy because in that instance the good was burning through the evil, but the visual is right.)"

Hire Jim Essian: "Jim Hendry, you’ve done an awful lot of dumb things in your tenure as the Chicago Cubs’ general manager. You signed Neifi Perez a couple of times. You thought Shawn Estes belonged in a starting rotation. You traded Kyle Farnsworth right after a crap year instead of right after a good year. You ate that whole cheesecake that had been sitting out on the counter for a week, even though I told you that the top shouldn’t feel slimy. I’ve forgiven you for most of those things. But so help you God, if you sign Jim Edmonds, you are dead to me."

Desipio: "Old Lassie’s a winner. He’s got some nice postseason numbers (in 61 postseason games) .277/.365/.523 with 13 homers, 42 RBI. That’s great. You know who else has nice postseason numbers? Mickey Mantle. He can’t play anymore either."

While some of you who don't live along I-55 may have never heard of this dislike for Edmonds before, be assured that it's one of those rivalry byproducts in which one single player becomes the living object and target for all the negative feelings from the other side. Think Steve Spurrier for the rest of the SEC when he was coaching Florida. Think Tyler Hansbrough for all of those who hate UNC's powder blue or J.J. Redic for everyone who hates Duke's Blue Devil.

Will be weird. Cubs next stop in St. Louis is July 4 -- will be interesting, to be sure. I bet he still gets a massive ovation from Cardinals fans when he comes here, but the Cubs fans' reaction when he first steps onto the grass at Wrigley will be something to watch.
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re: Jim Edmonds a Cub

Evidently, he was pretty well received at Wrigley today, save a smattering of boos. And he singled in his first at bat, which was ironically against the Padres:
    Jim Edmonds drew a round of applause from the Wrigley bleacher fans today and was generally well-received at the plate before he ripped a Greg Maddux pitch to right for a single.

Maddux asked Edmonds if he wanted to keep the ball, and after Edmonds nodded in the affirmative, Maddux threw the ball out of play.
    Class move on Maddux's part, too.

Comment

• Garrick
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

watched the game on espn against the astros at the juice box on monday night and jim edmonds did his usual over the back catch and saved two runs from scoring (grrrrrr!!!)... except this time it was different. he did it while climing tal's hill in center field. that guy's eye/hand coordination is unreal. i hate that hill. one day someone is going to hit that flag pole and kill themselves.
      Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• i!!ustrious
        I got some N64 Games Yo!!
        • Mar 2008

damn, ya thats kinda wack..im thrilled to see how this contract unfolds though. Jim sure is a class act, and he's one really kind and integral slugger forsures. i sure do miss him in a Angels uniform no doubt!
        (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Bryanw24
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

Being a Cubs fan I'm pumped! Maybe he can help make Soriano not look so bad in the field. Sure Soriano can kill the ball in the leadoff spot but DAMN he sucks at catching fly balls.

Comment

Working...