X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

A Man Needs a Maid

A Man Needs A Maid Neil Young's "A Man Needs a Maid" is an impressionistic musing by a man who is contemplating the start of a new romantic relationship. He is also encountering greater difficulties of an unspecified, but life-changing sort, beginning by noting, "My life is changing in so many ways/I don't know who to trust anymore." In such a context, he wonders whether instead of making the commitment necessary to a relationship, he ought to just hire a housekeeper instead. In this sense, he employs two different meanings for the word "maid" in the title. That got him in some trouble with feminists when the song was introduced on his popular Harvest album in 1972, since he seemed to be implying that the job of a female romantic companion was to cook for and pick up after him. And that implication is inescapable, though in a larger sense the song is about a man's struggle between his desire for companionship and his fear of being hurt. His account of falling in love with the actress in a movie seems to be directly autobiographical. Young was then involved with Carrie Snodgrass, star of the 1970 film Diary of a Mad Housewife. Just as Young was criticized for the way he expressed this idea, he was also criticized for the musical arrangement he used. In concert, he performed the song alone at a piano, but on record he brought in the London Symphony Orchestra for big orchestral effects that many found overly elaborate. Young defended himself against the criticisms when he included "A Man Needs a Maid" on his 1977 Decade compilation, humorously noting that " Robin Hood loved a maid long before women's liberation" and saying that Bob Dylan had told him he liked the arrangement.

My life is changing
    in so many ways
    I don't know who
    to trust anymore
    There's a shadow running
    thru my days
    Like a beggar going
    from door to door.

I was thinking that
    maybe I'd get a maid
    Find a place nearby
    for her to stay.
    Just someone
    to keep my house clean,
    Fix my meals and go away.

A maid. A man needs a maid.
    A maid.

It's hard to make that change
    When life and love
    turns strange.
    And old.

To give a love,
    you gotta live a love.
    To live a love,
    you gotta be "part of"
    When will I see you again?

A while ago somewhere
    I don't know when
    I was watching
    a movie with a friend.
    I fell in love with the actress.
    She was playing a part
    that I could understand.

A maid. A man needs a maid.
    A maid.

When will I see you again?

skip to 20 secs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNHet308wYA[/youtube]

""I fell in love with the actress
    She was playing a part I could understand"

They had a kid together, who happened to be born with cerebral palsy - which is how the Bridge School benefits came into being.

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

• day_for_night
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: A Man Needs a Maid

the pride of winnipeg, manitoba.

Comment

Working...