X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erik Mitchell
    Gold Gabber
    • Oct 2004

Production Balancing your DJ career and day job

I'm curious to know how you guys use your free time here when not working. I seem to never have enough time to get anything productive done these days, damn work!

I can't just blame work though, I do go out to the clubs a lot as I'm sure most of you do. You have to support the music, right? I realize when pursuing any sort of career you must make sacrifices. Here's what I'm thinking of...

I for one am thinking of only working the bare minimum possible, get to work as late as I can and leave as early as I can. I am paid hourly and any extra hours I work is great overtime pay and I could really use the money.

I love going to shows and the club, but am I wasting my time? I am all for supporting the music, but how much is too much? If it wasn't for the people going to shows then there would be no point to all this right?

I'm also thinking of sleeping less (6-7 hours max), not exercising any more (I'm in good shape and I work on my feet all day), less time cooking more quick eats

I hope I can post this type of question without being flamed too much. Share any methods you use, I would love to hear the responses.
    soundcloud - facedbook
  • danielRR
    Getting Somewhere
    • May 2008

Re: Balancing your DJ career and day job

Just follow the gut. If you're feeling like you want to get home from work faster, stop exercising, stop going out to get more time in with the production, then do it. Like you said, sacrifices must be made if you want the time, but those sort of decision just usually happen by necessity, not by plan. For example, on Monday night I found myself at the end of my weekend, having only gone out of my apartment to buy chicken for the previous 2 days. It's not that I didn't want to go out, it's just that I was wrapped up in making music.
    http://soundcloud.com/lexajune

Comment

• FM
      Wooooooo!
      • Jun 2004

Re: Balancing your DJ career and day job

Balance is key...and that's personal.
      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
      Facebook!
      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

Working...