• Show
Clear All
  • headrushmusic
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

U.K. Paper Urges Letters to Ohio Voters

U.K. Paper Urges Letters to Ohio Voters

2 hours, 25 minutes ago

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio - A British newspaper urged readers to write to Ohio voters to share their thoughts on the presidential race.

The Guardian of London published a special section Wednesday, inviting readers to contact voters in Clark County, about 30 miles west of Columbus, about the importance of the Nov. 2 election.

Under the headline, "football and mowers," the paper described the county as a good example of American life outside of big cities and noted that Ohio is a key swing state.

By logging onto the paper's Web site, anyone can put in an e-mail address and receive the name and address of a registered voter who is not affiliated with a political party. The paper received more than 3,000 requests the first day.

The newspaper's Web site said letter-writers were free to support either President Bush (news - web sites) or Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) but noted that a Guardian poll showed 47 percent of Britons back Kerry and 16 percent support Bush.

Features Editor Ian Katz said the newspaper would be pleased if the project gave U.S. voters "a little more awareness, perhaps, of just how huge the effect of American policy is on the rest of the world."

"In many ways this election will have more impact in our countries than our own political elections do," Katz said.

The paper also offered a three-day trip to Clark County for the four best letters.

Linda Rosicka, director of the Clark County Board of Elections, said the paper paid $25 for a list of all registered voters. Anyone can buy the list, and purchasers can extract whatever segment of voters they want.

"Our government has interfered enough in other elections, other political situations around the world, that why can't people from other countries try to influence us with their opinions?" said Springfield independent voter Artimus Keiffer, 52.

___

On the Net:

The Guardian: www.guardian.co.uk
  • digitalghostx
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jul 2004

Re: U.K. Paper Urges Letters to Ohio Voters

Nothing would piss me off more than to get a letter from someone in the UK about the importance of this Presidential election. Who the hell told them we care what the hell they think about who I vote for! That's noneof the their business, this is the same crap we have to read about when we hear that the UN has to send election monitors. Note to the rest of the world, mind your fugg'in business! This is OUR election!

Comment

• discojoe
      Fresh Peossy
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ";p="

"Our government has interfered enough in other elections, other political situations around the world, that why can't people from other countries try to influence us with their opinions?" said Springfield independent voter Artimus Keiffer, 52.

good point

Originally posted by ";p="
      Nothing would piss me off more than to get a letter from someone in the UK about the importance of this Presidential election. Who the hell told them we care what the hell they think about who I vote for! That's noneof the their business, this is the same crap we have to read about when we hear that the UN has to send election monitors. Note to the rest of the world, mind your fugg'in business! This is OUR election!
      not as good of a point. when you stick your nose in everyone else's business you make it their business.
      besides nobody's telling you how to vote, i am not sure what the big deal is getting an outsiders perspective to see things from different angles. I certainly wouldnt mind hearing what people from other countries think about my country and politics.

Comment

• mixu
        Travel Guru Extraordinaire
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by digitalghostx";p="
        The difference is that the US government's actions affects the whole world... Most of the world isn't really concerned with who governs France, Germany, Japan, Australia or the UK because their foreign policy has nowhere near as much impact as that of the US. The world's only superpower (until China catches up) affects all of us...
        Ask me a question...

Comment

• superdave
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Something smells unethical about the Guardian, a UK rag, trying to influence American voters. Not to mention, there's a Federal Election Commission that may have something to say about it.
          Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• palmer
            Retired or Simply Important
            • Jun 2004

Here are the response letters to the guardian email.....
            GUARDIAN RESPONSE LETTERS
            the teeth references are innumerable

I don't really have any thoughts on the actions of the guardian. I realize our elections will affect the world over. I guess when I initially read what these guys were doing I wasn't expecting to see any Americans response. I'm also originally from Ohio so its odd to see their thoughts. No one really talks about the elections or politics at all ....very taboo.... same here in Pennsylvania.

Some are funny.
            All are worth reading.

"Have you not noticed that Americans don't give two shits what Europeans think of us? Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you stupid, yellow-toothed pansies ... I don't give a rat's ass if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. If you want to have a meaningful election in your crappy little island full of shitty food and yellow teeth, then maybe you should try not to sell your sovereignty out to Brussels and Berlin, dipshit. Oh, yeah - and brush your goddamned teeth, you filthy animals.
            Wading River, NY"

so much hate
            todayistomorrow
            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• mixu
              Travel Guru Extraordinaire
              • Jun 2004

To be honest I'd probably say something similar

What's with the teeth thing though?
              Ask me a question...

Comment

• Yao
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Too much tea will give ya yellow teeth I think...I can understand if Americans are offended by this action, but I think it should make them realise the impact the US is having on world politics nowadays.

As DiscoJoe said: When you stick your nose in everyone else's business, you make it their business. That is so totally true, couldn't have said it better myself.
                It shouldn't be taken seriously, though, but as a sign that people around the world are concerned about what is the next chapter in the book of the war against terrorism.

Digitalghostx is really pissed about the UN monitoring US elections, well Digi, have I got news for you: the whole of Europe, Afhanistan, Iraq and many more countries are pissed off for Americans telling them what to do and how to do it. Get it? Stay out of the world's business, and we'll stay out of yours.
                Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by digitalghostx";p="
                  Exactly how I feel.
                  "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                  "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                  - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...