X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Heavy Metal Magazine

Does anyone read this? I picked up my first issue the other day and am reading through it. I always thought there was some great artwork in here but never checked it out. I can really care less for the cartoon boobs, but am looking for some good scifi/fantast/dark comics, etc.

I know this mag has been around for a pretty long time, anyone think it is worth checking out? I am getting into reading more graphic novels and have wanted to check this out.

I also have the first few volumes (about 500 pages each) of the Cerebus comic book series and also Watchmen which I am going to be reading through soon.
  • 88Mariner
    My dick is smaller
    • Nov 2006

Re: Heavy Metal Magazine

didn't read it. but i did crank up Danzig's "Mother" today on the streets of phila.
    you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

i played it on guitar hero this weekend,

Comment

• 88Mariner
        My dick is smaller
        • Nov 2006

oh shit! that's on guitar hero?

hey, you're in indy. You ever go see Hairbanger's Ball? It's the best tune they play imo.
        you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

i havent been to see them yet, friends have a couple times at the vogue but ive missed them.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Used to read Heavy Metal, big fan of Moebius' works. Also into comics and graphic novels.

Some staple to check out: Sandman, Preacher, Invisibles, Watchmen, Bone, Maus, Concrete, All-Star Superman (Grant Morrison), League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Lucifer, Daredevil ...

You'll be surprised at the quality of writing even in the traditionally superhero titles.

There's also an ongoing, free web comic by Warren Ellis that I'm following.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

thanks for the suggestions feather. i just recieved a lot of about 18 heavy metal mags i won off of ebay from around 82-83. looking forward to checking them out and some of the stuff above.

is there any site that reviews stuff like this or underground comics that is up to date? that would be nice for a place to go to discover some stuff as alot of this stuff is pretty underground.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                is there any site that reviews stuff like this or underground comics that is up to date? that would be nice for a place to go to discover some stuff as alot of this stuff is pretty underground.
                Not that I know of. Your best option online is probably check out Amazon and look at other people's Lists of must-reads.

Most graphic novel writers/artists come from the monthlies background so if you collect comics or keep abreast of them, you recognise the writers.

Eg. of those titles that I suggested, the writers I look out for are Mike Carey, Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Ed Brubaker, Neil Gaiman.

Your local comic store would be the best place to check out for recommendations. There's a scifi/fantasy book forum I lurk on which has a graphic novel section. If you're looking to 'try' before deciding on your favorites, Demonoid has a very active section for comics.

If you're looking for really 'serious' and dark shit, try Charles Burns' Black Hole

or Dave Mckean (who is an amazing artist, look out for his work with Grant Morrison in Batman Arkham Asylum)'s Cages

I'm currently looking for Shaun Tan's The Arrival which is a surrealist no-dialog tale about alienation and a foreigner in a strange land.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • May 2006

great suggestions feather i will start googling and digging around on amazon for more. i did see Black Hole on the shelf at barnes and nobel and the cover caught my eye and it looked interesting. i was wondering what that one was about.

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Yeah Black Hole is like some sick surreal nightmare ... very Alan Moore and Grant Morrison. But I found the art difficult to get into 'cos it's so dense and black. Gotta be in the mood for it.

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Just remembered, if you fancy a bit of erotica, Alan Moore's Lost Girls is epic. Took him and Melinda Gebbie 15yrs to complete, beautifully drawn and painted. Tells the stories of the three ladies from stories we read as kids.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by feather
                        Yeah Black Hole is like some sick surreal nightmare ... very Alan Moore and Grant Morrison. But I found the art difficult to get into 'cos it's so dense and black. Gotta be in the mood for it.

i didnt for sure notice the artwork when checking it out. it seems like it could be kind of creepy to read. have you read through it and is it worth it? the storyline ive heard about, the disease thing sounds interesting...

i heard about that alan moore book coming out a while back. if it is all just nakedish women that doesnt do much for me, but i did hear about it and the controversy about it.

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

Nah I've only flipped through it myself too. It's a bit too thick for me to pick up though I'll probably get around to it someday. The compete Bone and Blankets are thicker, very unwield for reading!

You can check out some of the art here, definitely on the dark and creepy side.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by feather
                            Nah I've only flipped through it myself too. It's a bit too thick for me to pick up though I'll probably get around to it someday. The compete Bone and Blankets are thicker, very unwield for reading!

You can check out some of the art here, definitely on the dark and creepy side.
                            Hah I actually found that site earlier today when I was searching for more info for this book.

The reviews of this have been pretty good, I might just buy it off of amazon to check it out. Yeah the artwork is extremely dark and has a good creep factor. I bet even thought it isnt really the best looking stuff it would make the disease/deformity storyline even creepier.

The Arrival looks actually really good. I see it is on amazon right now for only ~$13, I think I am going to buy this one too.

The artwork looks gorgeous and reminds me of the old Chris Van Allsburg books I used to read when I was a kid.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

This looks good and seems to also have gotten alot of praise:

Looks like an interesting tale of this guys life and love and growing up in the midwest.

Comment

Working...