X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88Mariner
    My dick is smaller
    • Nov 2006

What will you do if there was a Draft?

years ago the question of whether there would be another draft was one that was laughable. today, however, with an ever expanding theater in the middle east and a full scale war against iran, there is always the possibility that with diminished manpower of the armed forces that our legislators could reinstate the draft. Even Obama, who would seemably believe that we individuals exist for the sake of the government, could very well support the draft. And, in light of the growing talks of a potential pre-emptive strike against Iran either in july or between the election and the inauguration... a Draft seems ever more possible.

That said, I was hoping to see how some of you have thought out what you would do if there was a Draft and/or if you were drafted subsequent to it.

Me? I imagine I would duck out of the county, to australia or canada, perhaps sweeden or finland or norway. A good friend of mine suggest that I do as he did: create the file work to show a supporting case for a conscious objector so that you don't have to leave the country but also don't have to serve.

What's your position?
    you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

Re: What will you do if there was a Draft?

I'm from Canada and would advise any Americans who don't want to be drafted for the Iran war come on up now... If you come later you are a draft dodger if you do it now it looks better..

The Bush administration has launched a "significant escalation" of covert operations in Iran, sending U.S. commandos to spy on the country's nuclear facilities and undermine the Islamic republic's government, journalist Seymour Hersh said Sunday.

Comment

• FM
      Wooooooo!
      • Jun 2004

Depending on the rules & regulations, personally I may be able to be medically exempt.

But of course we've seen felons and others get accepted into the Forces because of constantly dwindling recruitment #'s so who really knows?

The latest bill sitting is HR 393...no calls, considerations or anything of the caliber for it right now. But, the title makes sense:

"To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make permanent the favorable treatment afforded combat pay under the earned income tax credit, and for other purposes."
      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
      Facebook!
      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• tiddles
        Encryption, Jr.
        • Jun 2004

quickly marry a french girl and give up my US citizenship, get drafted by the french army and raise the white flag with all my might

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

^interesting thought. i'm wondering what would happen if one had dual citizenship: still forced to fight?
          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
            Anyone have Styx livesets?
            • Jun 2004

You can move back to the country where you have dual citizenship.
            OR you have to do something to get your US citizenship revoked - (like take a government job in your other country) but that is not necessarily a wise move.

I have absoutely no problem - and in fact I would be delighted - if my kids decided to choose a military career in which ever country they end up in. But there is a HUGE difference in choosing and being forced to fight.

My views would clearly also depend on the cause that was being fought for - another without basis pre-emptive strike - GTFO
            ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

it would depend on what the war was being fought for.

Comment

• Funky Dredd
                Are you Kidding me??
                • May 2005

I can't be drafted. I already served 8 years.
                Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• Miroslav
                  WHOA I can change this!1!
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                  ^interesting thought. i'm wondering what would happen if one had dual citizenship: still forced to fight?
                  I have a dual citizenship. assuming your other country of citizenship is not in a war, then yes, I believe you're still forced to fight. The US oftentimes doesn't preclude you from having other citizenships, but it also doesn't necessarily recognize any of them when it comes to US legal matters related to US citizens. They'll get you even if you're just a permanent resident with a citizenship somewhere else.

Me, I'm old. I'm about to turn 30, which is well past the current draft age around here. By the time they'd get around to extending the draft to 30-some year olds, I figure we'd probably be in a dire world war situation where running isn't an option anyways.
                  mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• hambino21
                    PFC Semen Ham
                    • Jul 2004

I really hate the thought of a draft. It'shard enough to do your job with some of the quality of people certain branches decide to let join, the last thing you need is a bunch of people who were forced to be in. i really don't see a problem with peopl leaving, especially if the cause was a grey area. On the other hand those who would leave should expect a little shunning if and when they come back, but it will eventually wear off. As everyone knows some countries require military service from their population, just be lucky you're not there.
                    " Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"

- Me-

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                      I have a dual citizenship. assuming your other country of citizenship is not in a war, then yes, I believe you're still forced to fight. The US oftentimes doesn't preclude you from having other citizenships, but it also doesn't necessarily recognize any of them when it comes to US legal matters related to US citizens. They'll get you even if you're just a permanent resident with a citizenship somewhere else.
                      My understanding is that if you're already a US Citizen, you can take on other countries' citizenship as well, but if you're a citizen of another country and want to be a US citizen, you have to give up your citizenship of the other country. It would surprise me to find out that there was any sort of difference between being a US Citizen and having dual citizenship in terms of what rights/responsibilities you have in the US -- I think either you're a citizen or you're not.

Comment

• Miroslav
                        • Apr 2006

^^ Not necessarily. I have US and Slovak passports. picked up US citizenship in 2001 and kept my Slovak citizenship. US didn't care.

Comment

• Jenks
                          I'm kind of a big deal.
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
                          My understanding is that if you're already a US Citizen, you can take on other countries' citizenship as well, but if you're a citizen of another country and want to be a US citizen, you have to give up your citizenship of the other country.
                          not true. an old girlfriend of mine we both know was a czech citizen, then became an american citizen, and she has dual citizenship.

Comment

• toasty
                            Sir Toastiness
                            • Jun 2004

Really? Well, I stand corrected.

Wonder if that's new. I'm going off of what some travelers told me while backpacking across Europe way back when. Then again, perhaps that's what I get for trusting the word of strangers on a train...

Comment

• Miroslav
                              • Apr 2006

^^ I think it varies by nation. The US does not encourage or necessarily recognize dual citizenship, but they will oftentimes accept it as long as it does not pose any sort of a legal conflict for either side. Such legal conflicts may result in ongoing agreements with certain nations to disallow dual citizenships.

Comment

Working...