X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threehills
    I heart Lollergirl
    • Jun 2005

Will it take off?

This is blatantly stolen from another board, but I curious as to what some of the real "minds" over here at MS have to say about the subject.

A plane is standing on a movable runway( something like a conveyor).as the plane moves the conveyor moves but in the opposite direction.the conveyor has a system that tracks the speed of the plane and matches it exactly in the opposite direction.

The question is, will the plane take off or not?
    It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Will it take off?

No I don't think so. You're saying the conveyor cancels out the plane's forward vector. So your plane is stationery.

If I'm not wrong the plane has to gather enough speed for the air/wind to work on those wings to lift it up.

Dynamics of flight

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Troklo
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Mythbusters did this, and yes it takes off
      Quiero brincar al agua para caer al cielo

Comment

• threehills
        I heart Lollergirl
        • Jun 2005

^ but myth busters was crap. The "treadmill" was not countering the speed of the plane as the plane is clearly acclerating forward.

Bobo77 sebagai pusat bermain anak muda di atas 18 tahun yang dimulai dari generasi muda yang bertajuk Gen-Z, dengan demikian kami selaku penyedia permainan slot online untuk kaum baru ini menyediakan promo setiap pemain.

Comment

• Garrick
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

i've heard a bunch of different responses and i'd have to see it for myself because i don't know who to believe. i think the answer is no, the plane will not take off if it is solely using the treadmill to gain momuentum and not moving forward. as soon as it goes up in the air, i would think there isn't enough resistance against the air to keep it afloat. part of the reason the planes fly is the air it distributes under and above its wings to balance itself. when it takes off, it doesn't have the force against the plane it would have if it were moving forward and i'd think it'd just come back to the ground.
          Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

I'm with feather, the plane is in fact stationery (conveyor canceling the forward motion of the plane) and you need airspeed to lift the wings/plane. Can't see how the plane took off.
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

Originally posted by threehills
              ^ but myth busters was crap. The "treadmill" was not countering the speed of the plane as the plane is clearly acclerating forward.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode97
              This is because the thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground.
              that doesn't sound right, even if the engines are providing the forward thrust, wont the reversing direction of the treadmill reverse the airflow (by moving the plane backward at the same speed) thereby providing nearly no "lift"
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Actually ... if those engines are there to provide thrust from sucking air in and thus over and under the wings (I always assumed the engines were there to propel the plane forward on the runway, but Kamal makes an illuminating point or whoever he quoted), the plane might end up lifting off or hovering. But I don't think it will maintain its flight as there is no forward motion here, the conveyor has cancelled it.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Garrick
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

i guess it might depend on how much thrust the engine emits. i'd think it'd take a helluva lot more thrust to keep a plane up in the air from a standstill (how much more thrust? is it possible?) than if it were already moving at normal takeoff speed.
                  Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• lilsensa
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Troklo
                    Mythbusters did this, and yes it takes off
                    Fucking Mythbusters! The ruin everything...Fucking assholes.
                    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

Originally posted by feather
                      but Kamal makes an illuminating point or whoever he quoted), the plane might end up lifting off or hovering
                      thats quoted from the mythbusters link that threehills posted. If the "thrust" from the engines is in fact lifting the plane, then premise of the experiment is inaccurate imo because the wind speed through the engines far exceeds the reversing speed of the treadmill.
                      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                        Anyone have Styx livesets?
                        • Jun 2004

if its a harrier jumpjet it will take off - no problem
                        ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                          if its a harrier jumpjet it will take off - no problem

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• srbbnd
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jul 2005

Yes it will take off. Think of yourself running on a treadmill. The faster you run the more air resistance you have. IMO
                            www.bestfilmsofthe20thcentury.com/

www.forwardthinkingproduction.com/

Comment

• threehills
                              I heart Lollergirl
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by srbbnd
                              Yes it will take off. Think of yourself running on a treadmill. The faster you run the more air resistance you have. IMO
                              Not so my friend. Runner's world suggests always running at a +1% incline to what you would normally do to simulate the MISSSING air resistance.

The only air resistance encounterd while on a treadmill is from your arms swinging through the air...not whole body air resistance from running normally.

Comment

Working...