Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unkownartist
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: what track/s got you listening to Edm?

Originally posted by AntonyM
    Psykcik Warriors of Gaia,.
    i met one of the guys from them @ pure one night, didnt say much tbh because i was holding the walls up and he and speedyj were doing something they shouldnt of been doing

na i was actually working, well supposed to be

Comment

• Homskillet
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Early Chemical Brothers or Prodigy is what got me listening to EDM....

BUT

The CD that made me start going crazy over it would have to be DJ Dan's - Loose Caboose.
      https://soundcloud.com/dahlheim/shadynasty-tres-final

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
        Editor Shmeditor
        • Nov 2006

Leftfield's 'Leftism', which is happily still one of my best loved and most played discs to this day
        Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7

Comment

• ddr
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by TheMightyGreg
          Leftfield's 'Leftism', which is happily still one of my best loved and most played discs to this day
          timeless album!
          "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Funky Dredd
            Are you Kidding me??
            • May 2005

George Kranz - Din Daa Daa (probably dating myself with this one)...but I started in this era early to mid 80's and never have seemed to have left it, just evolved as time went on into the different genres of electronic music. I was probably 12 or 13 and heard this and Kraftwerk (Numbers) around the same time.
            Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• emuler
              I'm Ignorant.... so sue me!!
              • May 2007

paul van dyk - for an angel

and don't laugh.... ROFL

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

I'm not sure where pop ended and EDM began ... when I was a kid I managed to miss out on all the Eurasure or Wham or New Order stuff, but listened to Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode a lot, so I guess that was my earliest brush with anything electronic. I think back then it was just 'dance music' or pop to me. SNAP? Rhythm is a dancer? And then Jam & Spoon. After that, the first proper EDM would've been some MOS comp mixed by Danny Rampling, and something random I picked up from HMV cos it had a nice paper cover/case. And then Underworld. It's also odd that I missed out on Leftfield in those days. Then Oakie's Perfecto Fluoro and Digweed's Winning Ticket, then Northern Exposure. I also missed out on S&D's Renaissance until a bit later. I only discovered Renaissance the same time Cream was putting out comps, so it's the era of Nick Warren, Ian Ossia, and Dave Seaman. Then the GUs of course.

So it's been a fairly natural progression from those electronic/synth pop days into more and more EDM.

The weirder thing is I had some small dalliance with bands like Guns n Roses or Nirvana or Bon Jovi but they never stuck on me. In fact I used to hate band music until recently when I decided / realised not as many people listen to EDM as I'd like to think! But before, in my world, EVERYONE (that I knew) listened to EDM. Until this indie uprising and all my friends are suddenly closet indie fans, traitors!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• djsethnichols
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

awesome replies, could've included many of the same responses in mine

it's really all about that starting point, but the beauty is, from there, you don't know where you'll end up! One day you will be disgusted with 'enter genre', and another you will be inspired by it. Just shows you gotta keep the ears and mind open at all times.

For me, as far as DJ music goes, I got into trance and d&b first. Spun trance for a little while, collected a bunch of classics. Moved onto progressive thanks to San Fran, Ibiza, and Hong Kong sessions. And further and farther it goes today, hopefully to no end.
                  https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• floridaorange
                    I'm merely a humble butler
                    • Dec 2005

Robert Miles

Crystal Method - Las Vegas

Paul Oakenfold

RITM

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

it probably also bears mention that groups that I was already listening to, like Curve, Garbage & Sneaker Pimps, started having their stuff remixed by guys we all know, like PVD, Victor Calderone, AVH, Oakenfold, etc. I was already into house music at the time, but that is what got me back into it after the early 90's rave thing died down some (at least where I was).

Comment

• dig72
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Nov 2004

Man, we are going back a few years now but the one that really got me was kraftwerk - tour de france.

Very minimal sound and still believe it sounds pretty amazing even today.

Many of you might know the track. It's the one where Turbo from the movie Electric Boogaloo dances to with the broomstick.

The scene and track below.

Classic movie by the way.
                        “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”
                        Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

• Jibgolly
                          Vortexuralizor
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Garrick
                          luckily i moved to atlanta and steve sorted me out real quick with proper underground. don't think there's a chance i'd ever stop listening to EDM now. thanks steve!
                          it was always there, i just pointed it out, thank the artists for dropping mad flava on us.

as for me, no idea what my first one was. all i remember is my older sister taking me to a "rave" when they still existed in Florida, feeding me a smurf, and raving til dawn to tony faline. it was only a few months later i ventured to the uber rave ZEN and heard sasha, john digweed, rabbit in the moon, josh wink, keoki, and several others i dont remember that got me in to the amazing sound of progressive house. from that night on and those 10 beans later i was hooked. on the music not the beans.

Comment

• unkownartist
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

show me your poedigree bitches!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6lc4esqOfM

Comment

Working...