X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

NYC vs LA

I have often wondered why anyone would live in NYC when they could live in SF, LA or SD, assuming they like live in a big city...I think it would be very interesting to here from some of you who have lived in both places

It was fun while it lasted...
  • hypoluxxa
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: NYC vs LA

I live in LA, BUT I would live in Manhattan in a second. I love the chaos. San Diego is beautiful, and I've never made it to San Fran. I guess it's all a matter of personal taste.

Comment

• AntonyM
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Oct 2004

Have lived in LA, SF, and Diego, NYC has more culture, music, personality, arts, and opportunity than all three of those cities put together. Just depends on your tastes, geez and the transportation factor at nearly five bucks a gallon, try using mass transit in LA, forget.
      Originally posted by Shpira
      So came back last night...
      Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
      Originally posted by Illuminate
      Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
      2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
      3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
      4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• ShawnD64
        Quickshot the Minute Man
        • Jan 2005

i would never live in LA. and i would live in nyc in a heartbeat. LA is way to pretentious for me. that hollywood glamor shit... fuck that. i would however live in san fran, place is gorgeous. i would only take nyc over san fran due to the fact that i am from the east coast, and id be near fam/friends. san fran is so nice all year round. where nyc gets silly cold in the winter, and when that place really heats up in the summer, the city smells a bit from trash ect... it has its downfalls.
        http://soundcloud.com/scd64
        http://www.myspace.com/scd64
        http://b-sidesradio.blogspot.com/

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

haven't made it to san fran which I hear is awesome and san diego is nice enough but can't hold a candle to NYC from a culture standpoint, with its primary selling point being natural beauty and weather.

... but as between LA and NYC, it isn't a close call for me. No offense intended to those in LA, but at least for the things I like to do, NYC leaves LA in the dust. The lack of meaningful mass transit in LA is a deal killer, and it feels decidedly un-urban (think I just made up a word there) as opposed to the hustle and bustle of NYC.

Comment

• Global Eyes
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

seems as though people would pick NY in a landslide, gotta check this place out.

Comment

• miketpoto
              Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
              • Jan 2005

I live in NYC and I love it. Could NEVER live in LA.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                Not cool enough
                • Jun 2004

i would live in NYC before any of those other places. Being an artist you gotta go where the artists are. Plus they've got a great mass transit system, there really is no need for a car in NYC. Or even cabs for that matter. Just take the subway and then walk a bit. You get in shape really easily.
                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Jenks
                  I'm kind of a big deal.
                  • Jun 2004

I'd love to live in NYC. LA - no thanks.

Comment

• karaquazian
                    Addiction started
                    • Feb 2006

well, I'll be the one to go against the grain here. I grew up in LA, and have visited NYC and would pick LA in a heartbeat.

Personally I don't like the NY vibe...it's very compacted it's gritty and urban...the subways etc have a very dark vibe.

LA on the other hand...sunshine, and beaches. It's decidedly unurban. LA has tons of culture and hidden gems if you know where to look. Some of my fav spots: Venice, the Self Realization Fellowship Sanctuary off PCH, Malibu Creek State Park (greatest place to eat mushrooms), going to the first Thai Buddhist temple in the US for food on the weekend (seriously I have ruined people from all other thai restaurants there...can't top some old Grandmother making the best food for $ or 2). Going to the Standard downtown, Dodger Stadium...I could go on and on.

You have a point about the mass transit, but I would rather drive than have to sit (or stand) next to some other people with various odors etc. Also they do have the Metro that takes you right into downtown (I took it to work for 3 years...people always look at me funny when I say I took the subway in LA)

Comment

• thesightless
                      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                      • Jun 2004

NY rocks.

but i would love to live out in LA where people are just generally nicer and more relaxed and way more polite.
                      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                        My dick is smaller
                        • Nov 2006

san fran isn't anything special. besides the rampant homelessness, high cost of living, few buildings and housing that doesn't rise above two, maybe three stories, the weather is ok, it never gets really great, but never gets really bad. i could live there for maybe a year before i got sick of it...and i would never raise kids within a 100 miles of that place.

nyc's transit system is so much cleaner. they've got tall buildings, an absurd amount of high-quality restraunts, entertainment that never gets tiresome, you're just down the way from atlantic city and phila and boston, and dc (four places that are not alike at all, and yet are within a half day's drive...something you can't really say about LA or san fran), and the shoping is nuts. Plus the art museums and central park...how could it get better? Maybe add some mountains around it. That's about it.
                        you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• floridaorange
                          I'm merely a humble butler
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                          atlantic city and phila and boston, and dc (four places that are not alike at all, and yet are within a half day's drive...something you can't really say about LA or san fran), and the shoping is nuts. Plus the art museums and central park...how could it get better?
                          Well the diversity of places you can drive to that are located 6 hours away or less is pretty increadible from LA.

And regarding the sightless' statement, nicer and relaxed goes a long way with me, I think I've chosen my favorite place to live and my favorite place to visit.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• palmer
                            Retired or Simply Important
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                            san fran isn't anything special. besides the rampant homelessness, high cost of living, few buildings and housing that doesn't rise above two, maybe three stories, the weather is ok, it never gets really great, but never gets really bad. i could live there for maybe a year before i got sick of it...and i would never raise kids within a 100 miles of that place.
                            ^Obviously you stayed in fishermans wharf the whole time you were here.....

In any event....

I love them all really. I go to New York a few times a year but have never lived there. I go to LA usually once/twice a month, and San Diego every few months. Been living in San Francisco for almost 3 years now.

San Diego has the best weather in the entire country. Hands down. However I feel like it doesn't have much going on besides that. Housing is the cheapest of the bunch from what I've seen. Pretty sprawled out too, so forget about public transit. It doesn't, in my experience, have the same diversity in neighborhoods as any of the other three either....

Whoever said that shit about the pretentious glam culture has clearly never been to LA before. You'd have to seek places out that would make you feel that vibe. Great people. Great culture. Tons of shit going on. Pretty cheap housing. My biggest issue with LA is that it's so sprawled out and so huge that it takes forever to get anywhere. Not to mention it's pretty visibly polluted a lot of the time.

San Francisco is probably my favorite of the bunch right now. Mountains everywhere- so you've got mt biking, skiing/snowboarding, hiking, camping etc....All in relatively close proximity to the city too. The city is only 7miles wide so you can get around super easily without a car. Dope food. Awesome people. Housing is pretty pricey but it's still cheaper than New York.

New York is amazing. I was just there two weeks ago and had a fucking blast. It's got it's cons but it's hard for me to think about them. Ideally I'd love to split my time between both SF and NY. I love how laid back it is in California but I also love the pace of New York. That's really the only thing that differentiates them for me.
                            todayistomorrow
                            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• toasty
                              Sir Toastiness
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by karaquazian
                              LA on the other hand...sunshine, and beaches. It's decidedly unurban.
                              I think it's kinda interesting that for the second largest city in the country, LA's downtown skyline is not immediately recognizable to people that aren't in the area. It's pretty nondescript, and there's nothing in the skyline that tips you off that you're looking at LA. My vision of Los Angeles includes no tall buildings at all. I know that's not accurate, but I think more about palm trees and sunshine than any business or industry (apart from Hollywood, of course).

Comment

Working...