X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shiva
    MCast Mistress
    • Nov 2007

Progressive [House] Music: Status

I keep on receiving this type of comments from friends, djs and producers alike:

"Oh, he is producing minimalz coz he ain't making money with proggy"

or

"He just lost several gigs in Europe coz he plays proggy, so he shifted..."

or

"That dark dj/prod has definetly abandoned the dark proggy and turned to electro-house coz he was not being booked..."

I am getting this type of comments a lot from my region lately; Europe & Middle-East.
    So I would like to know if it's the same on other continents: how is the proggy status going in your town/country at the moment ? What are the current tendencies?

Would appreciate your input on this...

• feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Progressive [House] Music: Status

Abyssmal in Singapore but they never knew what's good for them anyway.

In Melbourne Australia, there are one or two prog nights going on but a lot of the DJs I know of have jumped on the minimal shitwagon.

Overall I'd say the prog as we knew it, be it dark or melodic or whatever, is dead as dead. There was a shortlived resuscitation when people like Kosmas showed up but that's it.

We just have to sit tight and hope it comes back. But in the mean time I'm digging the deep minimal stuff.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

france is full of shit music except for places that are too far away from me.
      dark boring prog is alive and well in south america it seems.

i have a good laugh when prog djs try to jump on the trendy train like the lawlers and the pappas. they end up sounding like assholes

housey housey house

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Isn't that Nyckees guy on Frisky French? I like his stuff. Prog trance.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• tiddles
          Encryption, Jr.
          • Jun 2004

i don't know, but here in the south it's all david guettaesque brie factory music

Comment

• AndyH
            Platinum Poster
            • May 2005

Good question!

There is def a shit load of minimal in London at the mo which is just fine by me as anything dark I love. There is def some prog but I would imagine it tends not to be the lovely 'dark boring prog' of old. Thats why its been so nice listening to your sets recently
            [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

This week's mcast level b show, 33 mins in, pretty proggy. Hooked me right in with the Deep Forest opener. Good debut mix.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

as long as Shiva and Kintar & Rex keep producing the amazing sets they do - then I'll be happy.
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• spyros
                  Gold Gabber
                  • May 2007

we all know what is going on with the minimal taking over progg..
                  i mean i get 2 emails from juno every week with the new productions on progressive & minimal. the weekly new productions of progg are a max of 25. minimal is something like 200. and thats weekly!!
                  imo electro and minimal in these high levels is a new thing,and djs had overplayed the same sounds of progg. over and over again so they wanted sumit different for a change..
                  for me progressive is the shit and if djs want to try other styles,i will just stick to Garcia,Logiztik Sounds,Federico Epis and of course Shiva.
                  Greeks don't fight like heroes, heroes fight like Greeks

"Winston Churchill"

Comment

• simonr
                    Transitionator
                    • Jun 2004

There's no Prog scene in the UK ... for me the only true name DJ out there playing prog is Garcia ... the likes of JD and Sasha deserted that style in 2004.

Prog isn't fashionable and doesn't fill clubs. Its either minimal/tech house/electro .. american house/disco, trance or retro style.
                    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Digger
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Nov 2004

its sux on here, most of it is minimal, or electro disco or who know what the shit that is......miss the old days!....
                      https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
                      All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• |Thrax|
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Mar 2007

In Los Angeles area we have a dying prog scene as well.

I will never ever get tired of Garcia, and I enjoy it more when it's not pounding me in the clubs.

The scenes and parties out here in LA/Hollywood/surrounding socal areas are dominated by Electrohouse/House/ and real good hard banging Techno and Techhouse/Minimal berlin artists we have been pulling through.

The scenesters are starting to find our parties now, they think Minimal or Techno is "glitchy idm and or underground" its not IDM.. and its not underground if you just found it?? no!

The scenesters love electroshit and mashups. DFA, Dim Mak, JUSTICE etc.

dancepunk.. hahahahahahaha
                        This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
                        Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                          Not cool enough
                          • Jun 2004

unfortunately I personally feel that when people say Dark Prog...they are speaking of a type of prog without any kind of real groove to it. Just basslines that are like pads that don't do much.

I think people are just searching for stuff with more of a groove. Something to really get down with. I've got a couple tracks I'm working on right now that are dark and proggy, but also have a hell of a groove with some groovy basslines and great tribalish percussion. You'll hear them soon.
                          Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                          My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                          My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• FM
                            Wooooooo!
                            • Jun 2004

Seems the minimal side is starting to invade your neck of the woods...

But it's all about progression as a whole and the trends...follow the $$$ and you'll see what's "big" as a fad so to speak.

Electro is big here; kind of tries and follow trendiness so to speak...mash-up style has its DJ's, and that glam rock/punk/electro whatever its called has a few parties going on in Boston that seem to be doing well...

I always feel it's a matter of finding the right tracks that have enough elements that you aren't abandoning the sounds you really enjoy..they are out there, just harder to find under the weight of the bandwagon tracks being piled up on everything.
                            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                            Facebook!
                            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Shiva
                              MCast Mistress
                              • Nov 2007

(that doesn't look good till now...)

Comment

Working...