• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adzey
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Mar 2008

Re: Progressive [House] Music: Status

haha good story!

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

maybe the dj should have been informed of what was expected of him before hand to avoid embarrassment and confusion.

Comment

• djsethnichols
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Based on replies to my post, you all have a very specific definition as to what clasifies 'minimal'. Like villalobos is minimal, and that's it.
        Have you all really been listening to artists like bodzin, huntemann, minilogue, gabriel ananda, buttrich, among others?

Minimal has been fused with progressive in many ways.

Let's also notice how many progressive labels have gone digital only. This is because the sales are down due to a lack of fresh sound coming from the genres producers. Lots of mediocre to crap releases.
        Also note that the same things you all are saying about minimal, is what tech house people said about progressive about 5 years ago. Around when digweeds LA came out.

Even still, I love me some good progressive as much as anyone. It still makes up the greater part of my record collection, just not for newer stuff.
        https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Shiva
          MCast Mistress
          • Nov 2007

^ (IMO) Minimal was good when it first started, when it was coupled with proggy...but not anymore. Yes, unlike Electro (or any track that has electro sound) tech-house is VERY appreciable, use to play lots of tech-house which can be very dark and massive.

I am very happy to have more and more fans that are discovering proggy and fully appreciating it. Not all of them come from EDM background, many listen to Rock, others to French music or even Arabic music (and thats a total bounce of culture and mentality!).
          I even have some fans and friends that totally stopped listening to anything else but proggy, and that audience is continuously increasing in number...
          proggy might have slowed down the last few years, but it's not dead. And from what I notice around, it is being revitalized.

Comment

• Steve Graham
            DJ Jelly
            • Jun 2004

Minimal has been fused with progressive in many ways
            so is it really minimal then? of course its all down to interpretation, like when electro-house first became the thing to play, everyone was calling it electro, which clearly are not the same thing.. but i think minimal is just that.. adding progressive and/or housey elements it ceases to be minimal IMO

I dont think progressive was ever dead, going by the true definition of its name, its always going thru transformations.

Comment

• |Thrax|
              Platinum Poster
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by djsethnichols
              Based on replies to my post, you all have a very specific definition as to what clasifies 'minimal'. Like villalobos is minimal, and that's it.
              Have you all really been listening to artists like bodzin, huntemann, minilogue, gabriel ananda, buttrich, among others?

Minimal has been fused with progressive in many ways. .

Sure, the production "sound" and tecniques have been fused into other forms of dance music, but that doesn't make it very minimal anymore, does it?
              So stop calling it minimal.

Anyone that hears a little clikkity clickky bleep bloop in a track, and its automatically classified.

Minimal is a NOT a sound, its a style. I know you probably know this, and i aint mad atcha!

It's attrocious, when I hear some 23 year old girl playing Mark Henning in a Hollywood bar in a tuesday.. then proceeds to trainwreck into some electro houser track. ffs get a brain people.
              Then, after her set she calls it Glitchy IDM.

for ducks sake you want to hear minimal, listen to phillip glass.
              if you want IDM listen to Autechre.

edit: haha holy crap, I didnt even read Steve reply above.. before i typed mine.

spot on mate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzXgb-jFUOc&[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD0LFAHMt0k&[/youtube]
              This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
              Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

• Steve Graham
                DJ Jelly
                • Jun 2004

great vids mate.. something to be said about a female boppin to the groove with headphones on

Comment

• Jenks
                  I'm kind of a big deal.
                  • Jun 2004

best thing you can do is step awaaaaay from the internet. don't read about music, listen to it. go out. i stopped talking and reading about music on boards awhile ago and my djing and brain and partying experience is so much better for it. pigeon holing sound into a category, following "trends", it's all bullshit. The status of a sound? It's what you make it, it's what you get out of it. Who gives a fuck what the status is, how it's doing, etc? that's nonsense. Take a look at the dancefloor next time you play, or you're at a party- there's you answer, it's not on a messageboard.

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

I agree with most of that but unfortunately I'm one of those who isn't finding much to dance to at the moment The music that makes me want to dance, and the music I identify as progressive, just isn't around much any more. It will get better I'm sure
                    Originally posted by TheVrk
                    it IS incredible isn't it??
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• |Thrax|
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Mar 2007

I'm not arguing by ant means, just trying to state my mind.

when you love a electronic music, a certian way.. you want it to stay as pure as possible. when you start to hear unoriginality and maybe you've felt it has started to change. we try to analyze that. like we love, great music. that is deep, or uplifting.. but most importantly, keeps us on our toes.
                      This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
                      Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

• clintlove
                        Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                        • Jun 2004

I have never cared what genre of edm I'm listening to, as long as it pleases the ol' ears. I stopped categorizing my music collection years ago. It's a pointless battle.

No offense to any of you who do care, this is just my opinion. And come to find out, my opinion is pretty gay most of the time.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• djsethnichols
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

Have to agree with jenks. When you start clasifying everything you hear, you are pre-judging the music and making your mind up before you even give it a chance. You are closing your mind and ears to potential.
                          It is best to try and be naïve and positive minded. You might me surprised what you will enjoy. Don't be to proud

Also I disagree that once musical styles fuse they are no longer minimal. So basically you're saying once a minimal sound fuses with a progressive sound it is no longer minimal? Then what is it? Progressive? Why not minimal? Does it depend on which style is more dominant? That track is 40% minimal and 60% progressive, so its progressive?
                          Sorry, just confused on the logic.
                          Your example given was a bit extreme, anyone knows that Electro house and idm have no similarities that could class them close to each other.
                          https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

Working...