X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

McGaffe Responds to Error With Another Error

OK, I'm starting to feel a little bad for the guy. As reported in this thread, McCain incorrectly stated in an interview with Katie Couric that the surge helped usher in the Anbar Awakening, when in fact, the Anbar Awakening took place well before the surge was even conceived.

In response, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds asserted, "If Barack Obama had had his way, the Sheiks who started the Awakening would have been murdered at the hands of al Qaeda."

Unfortunately and obviously unbeknownst to the McCain camp, that actually happened:

WASHINGTON, Sept 16 [2007] (Reuters) - When U.S. Army Col. Sean MacFarland, working in his Pentagon office last Thursday, heard that a tribal leader had been killed in Iraq's Anbar province, his first reaction was: "Please don't let it be Sattar."

His fears proved well-founded. A bomb had killed Abdul Sattar Abu Risha, the founder of a movement of Sunni leaders who turned against al Qaeda in Iraq, who are also Sunnis, and transformed Anbar from one of Iraq's deadliest areas into one of its safest.

As a credit to McCain, however, I have no idea how the guy is still standing. If Obama were making these types of mistakes, this regularly, it's all we'd be hearing about.
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: McGaffe Responds to Error With Another Error

nice one mcnasty!!

Comment

• MJDub
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

lol, McGaffe
      http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• Kiff
        Getting Somewhere
        • Oct 2006

Yeah, ol McNugget is a bright one....maybe he's just getting senile. Though it does appear that some of the media (other than CBS and Fox) is hammering him on this. If anything, it just goes to show that the media is ignoring McNugget for the most part for good or bad.

Here is some coverage on it:

NY Times: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...n%20cbs&st=cse

AP: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
        “Only those who attempt the absurd...will achieve the impossible. I think...I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check.” - MC Escher

Comment

Working...