X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMightyGreg
    Editor Shmeditor
    • Nov 2006

Chicks Can't Mix

Right, now that I have your attention - especially you female turntablists out there - I'll elaborate a little.

My inspiration to make such a bold (and potentially hazardous) claim has been sparked by two events this weekend; firstly I went to see Anja Schieder at Fabric on Saturday. While her tracks selection was excellent, her mixing was frankly appaling - including the worst train wreck i've ever heard at Fabric. One fuck up is of course forgivable but from my recollection every one was fairly questionable (was anyone else there to verify).

Secondly, as i write this I'm listening to Smokin' Jo's Ibiza podcast, which although not awful, is far from proficient. Great tracks again, but very dody mixing.

I know this isn't going to make me super popular (I'll be building my Shiva-shield shortly) but this just isn't good enough. Both those mentioned above are at the top of there game and should be delivering flawless or close to flawless mixes pretty much all the time. In all the times i've been to Fabric I've never heard a male DJ mix so badly. And with something like a podcast, surely the time and effort should be gone to to make it as enjoyable a listening experience as possible? Is it the case that these DJ's just wouldn't get gigs with the skills they posses if they were male? I have to say that in some cases i think this is probably true. Ellen Alliens Fabric mix for example...one of my favourite mixes but it's badly mixed, as is every set I've heard her play.

As i type, Jo completely train wrecks another...very poor.

*Shelters from impending torrent of abuse*
    Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Chicks Can't Mix

have you ever listened to

chloe>?
    Dj rap?
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

the mixing is even off in a couple places on that new Dannita Howells mix (!)

Comment

• AndyH
        Platinum Poster
        • May 2005

I thought Anja was the best mixer I have ever heard in my life. Just coz you didnt 'get' what she did with that so called trainwreck doesnt mean she cant mix. You just need to grow and evolve your electronic music understanding my friend..
        [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• Dhar_2
          meat and potatoes
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by TheMightyGreg
          Is it the case that these DJ's just wouldn't get gigs with the skills they posses if they were male?
          this is a very valid point in its own right!

no offense, but wants to say that some ladies are given work NOT ONLY on their dj merits??? (and i dont mean sexual favours before people get flustered round here. I just mean pretty!)

for the rest your on your own! the few ladies on here are going to eat u alive.

oh yeah!! anyone else noticed that shiva chick is a real looker, but cant mix to save her life!

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
            Editor Shmeditor
            • Nov 2006

^ Yeah, Chloe is fucking quality and her annivesary mix is on heavy rotation in my office. Let's clarify - i'm not saying that there are no good female DJ's - of course there are, it's just that those i mentioned and other's besides are supposedly at the top of thier game, but the way they mix the majority of thier sets suggests they perhaps shouldn't be.

Comment

• Dhar_2
              meat and potatoes
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
              the mixing is even off in a couple places on that new Dannita Howells mix (!)
              and on janine van m's iceland mix!

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
                Editor Shmeditor
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by AndyH
                I thought Anja was the best mixer I have ever heard in my life. Just coz you didnt 'get' what she did with that so called trainwreck doesnt mean she cant mix. You just need to grow and evolve your electronic music understanding my friend..
                Prick. Let's clear this up - AndyH was there with me and screwed his face up even more than mine every time she clanged one.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                  Anyone have Styx livesets?
                  • Jun 2004

Paul Okanefold and Felix da Housecat cant mix either - that doesnt mean all male DJ's cant mix.
                  sweeping generalizations ruin conclusions.
                  EVERYONE knows that
                  ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Dhar_2
                    meat and potatoes
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by TheMightyGreg
                    Prick. Let's clear this up - AndyH was there with me and screwed his face up even more than mine every time she clanged one.
                    thats because he GOT what she was doing, hence was having orgasms with every mix!

Comment

• 88Mariner
                      My dick is smaller
                      • Nov 2006

^ yeah, but Paul and Felix also have vaginas. Which proves the general rule.
                      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Miroslav
                        WHOA I can change this!1!
                        • Apr 2006

based on my listening sample, I agree that listening to Anja Schneider in anything except a carefully edited professional CD is a risky endeavor...lol

But I don't think it's just the chicks... I routinely hear studio and live mixes by big name DJs that are just ridiculous and not half as good as what I would be capable of doing. And I also know female DJs who can mix up a storm.

Of course, this is all getting a bit harder to discern since I oftentimes can't tell if a great performance is being put on by the DJ or his/her computer...thanks to the technology we now have, the computer could automatically cue up blippy track #693 and seamlessly bring it in, thus freeing up the DJ to fake-molest the mixer, adjust his/her scarf, pass out, etc.

Actual mixing is becoming SO uncool these days.
                        mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Shiva
                          MCast Mistress
                          • Nov 2007

Ahhh.... What can I answer to that?

I just wished I had recorded that Marathon set I played last year in an afterhours club:
                          It was from 4:00am till 10:00am, non-stop, on-the-fly, played 95 trx....and boy, I just wish you were there!!!

Well I donno many MALE djs that can play a FLAWLESS (and mostly harmonic) 6hrs Marathon set...

Anyway, you are free to listen to my sets which are LIVE sets, and soon I will be hitting you with a LIVE GIG, coz there is where the real action takes place, in front of crowds...

And PLZ, keep in ming that the ratio male/female djs is like 1 in a million...or more.

Comment

• unkownartist
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

anja's ra mix was probibly one of the best i,ve heard coming from ra...i used to download them each week and that was deffinately one that stood out. djrap (L) (drooooooooooool :P) never heard her live tbh so cant really say...everytime i heard her it was old style jungle which i kid of turned off right away....mrs harris..... SHITE... i meen i only listened to her both kiss mixes for about 10 weeks solid each , never heard shiva.....yet...so cant comment....

i hear jibs in his weekend gucci tranny outfit does some good mixes from time to time

you cant expect every dj to mix perfectly everytime...its impossible if its done manually

Comment

• srbbnd
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jul 2005

I disagree Ellen Allien is one of my top DJ's right now...reminds me of Holden and Zabiela.
                              www.bestfilmsofthe20thcentury.com/

www.forwardthinkingproduction.com/

Comment

Working...