• Show
Clear All
  • Shiva
    MCast Mistress
    • Nov 2007

Re: Chicks Can't Mix

Originally posted by TheMightyGreg
    I do I do

You You,.....I haven't forgotten about YOU...
    you were the one who opened that thread....and I got my eyes on ya....

I will make you justice very soon darling, you and all the other macho guys who think that....

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
      Editor Shmeditor
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Shiva
      You You,.....I haven't forgotten about YOU...
      you were the one who opened that thread....and I got my eyes on ya....

I will make you justice very soon darling, you and all the other macho guys who think that....
      Justice? Is that some kind of cake? If not i don't want it...you'll only mess it up.
      Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7

Comment

• Shiva
        MCast Mistress
        • Nov 2007

Justice? Is that some kind of cake? If not i don't want it...you'll only mess it up.
        lol...Yes, It will be a mighty cake written on it "Chicks CAN Mix", a cake I would be more than willing to splash it frontal in your F_A_C_E

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
          Editor Shmeditor
          • Nov 2006

^ Frontal? Splashing in faces? Maybe we will get on!

Comment

• Shiva
            MCast Mistress
            • Nov 2007

^ I'm not gona comment on ur reply.

You opened a thread making a claim about female djs, stick to that claim coz that's what we are dealing with here, only!

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
              Editor Shmeditor
              • Nov 2006

Fair enough...I'd actually left this thread to it's own devices as it moved on from a debate about gender to one about mixers and other equipment which I didn't feel qualified to comment about. Now that it's back on topic, I think all that can been said has been, and despite all well articulated arguments to the contrary, I still believe that my inital points are valid. Will I be particularly popular for this point of view? Probably not. Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course. Am I a sexist pig/complete asshole? I'd like to think not.

(cue AndyH: 'Yeah he is I live with him')

And I'm out

Comment

• Shiva
                MCast Mistress
                • Nov 2007

Nobody judged you of you are or you are not. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but once you claim something the least you can do is listen to the counter-argument...then feel free to think whatever you want.

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
                  Editor Shmeditor
                  • Nov 2006

And I'm back...

I did listen to the counter arguments and reponded to each, before the thread went completely off topic.

^ Yeah, Chloe is fucking quality and her annivesary mix is on heavy rotation in my office. Let's clarify - i'm not saying that there are no good female DJ's - of course there are, it's just that those i mentioned and other's besides are supposedly at the top of thier game, but the way they mix the majority of thier sets suggests they perhaps shouldn't be.
                  You and me both. I'm not a senseless She-Jay basher, just wanted to express an opinion I thought there was more than a grain of truth in. It's anoying that within two days a podcast and a live mix that should have been amazing were made almost unlistenable by shoddy work(wo)manship.
                  But do you see any truth in the assertion that there are female DJ's who are being booked more because they are competent (but not particularly gifted) DJ's AND they are female. As Shiva pointed out, the ratio male to female DJ's is massively skewed, so do you think the 'novelty' factor of having a female behind the decks may be influencing promoters choices more than they perhaps should?
                  Ok so think of your top 5 male dj's - I expect on the whole you'd think they were pretty sharp behind the decks and have a few favourite sets of theirs which are more ore less flawless...now think of your top 5 female dj's - can you say the same thing about them. I would say my favourite 5 female spinners are Ellen Allien, Magda, Smokin' Jo, Monika Kruse and Chloe - and with the notebale exception of Chloe all of the sets I've enjoyed from these gals both live and pre-recorded are poorly mixed.

In no way am i saying that there are no chicks who can mix - that would be ridiculously arrogant and unfair. I'm just sayingthat in my experience those that i have heard have been well below the male equivalent with comparable levels of experience and exposure.

If i'm missing a shitload of female talent (and I'm sure I am) please point me in it's direction...I' would genuinly like to be proved utterly wrong
                  This is a very good point, although it doens't completely overrule mine. This would be true using the figures you do, but there are clearly more than 100 female DJ's in the world. Therefore if we stick to purely statistical measurement, you would expect that out of all the female dj's in the world (several thousands proffessionals I would estimate) you would be able to select 5 who could put the majority of thier mixes together without creating an unpleasant listening experience. All I'm saying is that I can't, and while i am by no means claiming to be an authority on the subject, I think i have enough experience of listening to EDM to be able to consider my opinion at least some way to being valid
                  Freedom of thought is a precious commodity, and one that should be influenced but hopefully not ruled by others. If everyone was the same the world would be a fucking boring place !

Comment

• AndyH
                    Platinum Poster
                    • May 2005

. Am I a sexist pig/complete asshole who gets off hating on female DJs? I'd like to think not.

(cue AndyH: 'Yeah he is I live with him')
                    [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• 88Mariner
                      My dick is smaller
                      • Nov 2006

i think chicks can mix. I watch paula dean like twice a day. she does it best.
                      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Shiva
                        MCast Mistress
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lilsensa
                        Moshic and Zidan - Nightstalker
                        WRONG answer....it is Moshic, but not this track...

Comment

• Miroslav
                          WHOA I can change this!1!
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                          i think chicks can mix. I watch paula dean like twice a day. she does it best.
                          hahahahaha

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifIt3dJdP4[/YOUTUBE]

skillz, I say!
                          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                            I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                            • Mar 2008

^ omfg yes. Paula wins

from that video:

"...Your ready for the picnic to start arn't ya buddy!? ..u wanna treat? ...yeeeah.. Y'all, the first recipie that I'm gunna share with y'all today is called.. uh... CHOCOLATE GOOEY BUTTER COOKIE .."

sounds like a perfect mix-set title
                            (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Shiva
                              MCast Mistress
                              • Nov 2007

Comment

• Jenks
                                I'm kind of a big deal.
                                • Jun 2004