X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Awesome commercial

man, i missed this whole story back in 92. great commercial. story brought a tear to my eye.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9wV8AUe6_A[/YOUTUBE]

One of the most memorable moments in recent Olympic history took place in 1992, at the summer Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain. You may remember the name, Derek Redman. He was the British runner who had been through 22 surgeries after an injury he suffered while getting ready for the 400 meter race in the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.

It was a shock to everyone that he was even running again, much less competing as the best athlete from his country. When the gun went off for his race, Derek took off. He was in the middle of the pack of some of the fastest runners in the world when, about halfway around the track, he pulled his hamstring and fell to the ground.

Of course, everyone thought he was finished; the broadcasters started yelling out, “Derek Redman is out of the race! Derek Redman is out of the race!” The cameraman stayed with the rest of the runners as they finished the race, but then raced back to Derek Redman who was still down on the track, trying to pull himself back up. He was determined to finish the race.

Much to everyone’s amazement, this great athlete slowly stood up and began to hobble around the track, writhing in pain. You can see this on the video footage. As you watch his face, there were tears streaming down his cheeks. Yet, in spite of his determination, it was obvious to everyone watching that there was just no way he would be able to finish that race; he was in such pain.

Just as Redman was about to collapse for the final time, a man came running down out of the stands. He climbed the fence at the side of the track, pushed his way past two big guards and ran onto the track. The man who came to Derek Redman’s side that day was Derek’s mentor. He had been sitting in a section at the top of the grand stand that day in Barcelona, but he could not imagine anything but getting involved.

The man’s name was Jim Redman. He happened to be Derek’s dad. For years, he had been there by his son’s side, getting up at four o’clock in the morning for practices, encouraging, supporting and cheering his son on. Now, he felt he just could not stand by and let his son fail to finish the race.

So, he came jogging up to his injured son; and, when he got close enough, he reached for him, putting his hand on Derek’s shoulder. Derek took a few more steps and then turned and fell into the chest of his mentor and dad. Then, Jim Redman said these words, which were later quoted in the newspaper. He said, “Derek, we started this thing together and we are going to finish this thing together.”

Then, Jim took his son’s arm, put it around his own shoulders, put his arm around Derek’s shoulders and held his son up. I mean, literally, just held him up as together they made their way around the rest of the track. As you can imagine, the crowd was roaring its approval as Derek Redman finished his race.

• feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Awesome commercial

Originally posted by Jenks
    story brought a tear to my eye.
    x2

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

AWESOME. A true story of of a man that really had HEART.

Gotta have Heart.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• poults
        Platinum Poster
        • Nov 2006

Absolutley amazing story.
        Reminds me of this which is also an amazing feat:
        Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
          • Jun 2004

Lol what's so amazing about a guy injuring himself and hopping to the finish line?

Let's all go get Visas!
          "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Adzey
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Mar 2008

^ have a heart you prick

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by SyntaxTerror
              Lol what's so amazing about a guy injuring himself and hopping to the finish line?

Let's all go get Visas!
              Bet you didn't even bother reading the story. Dick.

Here's the real video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MRoIDXeuY[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• Adzey
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Mar 2008

absolutely right jenks the idiot probably didnt read the whole story

the video still wont play

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• thesightless
                  Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                  • Jun 2004

up there with the jay mac story and as heartbraking as jimmy V's speech.
                  your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                  download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                    • Jun 2004

Lol I read the story and I've known about it for years.

I'm sorry I just don't get what's so amazing about a guy pulling his hamstring and finishing a race. But hey if it sells more Visas...

I find this athlete much more inspirational: :-D

Eric the eel comes from a country with no swimming pools...
                    "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

^there's way more to the story than "guy pulls hamsring, finishes race," which isn't even the touching part of it, and you've got to be pretty obtuse not to see that. But hey, if you don't think it's touching, that's fine. let's go kill some puppies.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                        My dick is smaller
                        • Nov 2006

yeah? what about carrie strug? you know, gettting injured then clinching GOLD afterwards?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsQcwHc1Jfw[/YOUTUBE]

nuts. i still get goosebumps watching this over ten years later....
                        you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

Working...