X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herogee
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

It all started at Jimmy's house

It all started at Jimmy's house. Sure there were the clubs like the Beacham, the Firestone and Simons, but it really started for us at Jimmy's house when we lived in Orlando. Through summers and winters and then summers again. The house took on a life of its own in all of its suburban cookie cutter glory - blinding white walls, electric green carpet, a 14 foot trampoline that occupied most of the living room plus his 8 siamese cats. Jimmy's house was more of a club with couches and kitchen than anything else, a do it yourself bar with closets and bedrooms. The main room was the record room upstairs, there was a futon couch in there but it didn't last very long.

So there were always two speakers, two turntables, an amp and a mixer in the record room, not to mention loads of records and an assortment of friends always lying around. From Friday and Saturday till Monday or Tuesday morning things went on like this with the majority of the people just filtering through, the weekenders. When we were all sufficiently shell-shocked by Tuesday we would begin the search for our keys, cars and the shoes we had on so many days before.

We all agree that we will never forget any of it but I don't think any of us really remember that much of it as it was. Get any of us talking about it and there are always two or three stories we all seem to remember but the rest has drifted back into the haze from where it came. There were always various accidents people had jumping from the second story inside balcony onto the trampoline that was in the living room. Eventually we had to move the trampoline to the back yard where it became one of the best places to lay around. Even Pope John Digweed III took a little part in the madness if you can believe that, we have it on videotape, locked safely in a vault somewhere. Mostly we remember the music, not particular songs but the unending flow of tunes from that room, the seemingly endless flow of friends and guests through the house.

The neighborhood became a party complex with houses next door and down the street dedicated to the cause. Eventually almost every house in that cul-de-sac became vacant and up for rent or sale, they simply couldn't take it anymore. The police came and went and tried and gave up and tried again. Jimmy was threatened with arrest so many times for noise complaints he would have to leave sometimes so we could turn the music down and keep the cops at bay for a few hours longer. The would-be list of famous, notorious and nameless people that made their way to and through that house is too long and treacherous to even contemplate creating. To this day we run into old friends and people we barely know that tell detailed stories about Jimmy's house and meeting us that neither Jimmy nor myself ever seem to remember. Each of these people have their own stories to try to piece together as well, but they always seem to remember something unspeakable about us. We were all so young and careless and carefree, the house was filled with the unending possibilities of freedom and exuberance.

As for the music, what can be said? I could go on and on about how it was everything and that was the whole reason we were there and all that, but that's not entirely true. We were there for each other and the endless hordes of friends and passers-by that wandered in and out throughout the main years while it was at its strongest. We were there for the party, the one that seemed as if it would never end, and it hasn't yet. It was a combination of the music and the people and the drinks and the trampoline in the living room. Now it's also for a combination of tracks on the album you're holding in your hand. Not that this album is any retrospective of what happened there but it is the direct result of what went on musically. The result of years and years of Sundays that should have been Saturdays, and Tuesdays that should have probably never been at all. I haven't heard it yet but I already know. I've been through it a thousand times before. It will start with all the best intentions and before any of us know what's going on it will be a mad race to something, a race to many things at once and then some long mad twisted journey home.

Sean Cusick (NYC), Bedrock II sleevenotes, Compiled and Mixed by Jimmy Van M, 2001.
    If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air,
    quaint little villages here and there ...
  • lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: It all started at Jimmy's house

I love that story. Wish I could have witnessed all of it first hand.
    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• chunky
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Jan 2006

I would love to hear some recordings from Jimmy's house back in the day. I like that Cd so much i bought another copy. I saw a Japanese copy with an nice cardboard fold out gate fold sleeve. Instead of the standard plastic case the UK version came in.
      Originally posted by res0nat0r
      OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• the sun the sea
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

i've always loved reading those little stories like that about that special moment in time.

i've also love the notes in the GU series.
        download dj sets at: www.mixwalla.com

Comment

• progressive420
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

^^^AGREED. BETTER DAYS!!! Not that today is bad....in fact its been good lately.... Great story and even better mix album
          "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• threehills
            I heart Lollergirl
            • Jun 2005

Good stuff. Brings one of those sentimental smiles to the face.
            It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• simonr
              Transitionator
              • Jun 2004

fantastic sleeve notes ... fantastic album !
              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Bender420
                Tickle me Elmo!
                • Jun 2004

gonna have to dig up that album and give it another listen. i've been getting the itch to hear the first bedrock lately as well.
                Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment

• simonr
                  Transitionator
                  • Jun 2004

sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• progressive420
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

My friends Russell Saltzman and Brock Habbit are thanked by JVM in the liner notes. They used to book him at parties back in 97-99 when he was still using his full name. Brock tragically died in 2005. RIP
                    "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• scifi pi
                      Addiction started
                      • Oct 2004

Yup, I remember those central florida days..or daze.... as wells as the Simon's Gainesville, Florida daze as well. Back then, Florida was like its own underground dance music world. From the Panhandle (Pensacola) to Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa and Miami Beach..IMHO it took the rest of the country another 4-5 years to catch up. Oh the memories...

Comment

• THE_LIGHT
                        MCast Resident DJ
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by scifi pi
                        Yup, I remember those central florida days..or daze.... as wells as the Simon's Gainesville, Florida daze as well. Back then, Florida was like its own underground dance music world. From the Panhandle (Pensacola) to Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa and Miami Beach..IMHO it took the rest of the country another 4-5 years to catch up. Oh the memories...

I second that.

cheers
                        Hafid

Comment

• BureOne
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

still one of my fav albums, always a good one to pop in when on a nice long drive up north or south to the border.

Comment

• herogee
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lilsensa
                            I love that story. Wish I could have witnessed all of it first hand.
                            +1

I just happened to dig up Bedrock 2 yesterday and then I took a look at the sleevenotes, I liked Sean Q6 writing so much I had to share it with ya ...

And of course I love both discs of that compilation ...
                            If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air,
                            quaint little villages here and there ...

Comment

• AndyH
                              Platinum Poster
                              • May 2005

Man I want to see that Digweed video
                              [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

Working...