X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatanka
    Getting warmed up
    • Jan 2008

Microwave ovens..are they safe?

I always walk away while anyone used the microwave but then my peeps said there's a "net" on the door of the microwave that prevents the microwaves from radiation.
    Is this true? I searched a bit but to no avail nothing credible.
    If I can prevent myself from getting tumors or cancer jfrom staying away from the microwave I will, but what's really going on in that box?
  • BureOne
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Microwave ovens..are they safe?

some people dont' use it cause they are scared of stuff like that.
    I've been using them since they were invented. Best way to warm up some food. I have no thrid eye or sixth finger. Less brains cells?? its probably the bongs fault not the microwave.

Comment

• saucercrab
      Getting warmed up
      • Jul 2004

I've read up a bit on it and just have to give in to the trust of the government. I haven't heard about the net, but now that you mention it, every microwave I can remember has had a perforated screen across the front window. Maybe...

There are a number of tinfoil hat theories out there about what microwaves do to our food and ourselves - and they DO cause some crazy molecular vibrations - but you have to weigh the evidence against the convenience and just live your life. I think Snopes has dispelled the "plant killed with microwaved water theory," but it IS crazy to know that Russia actually outlawed all microwaves in the mid 70's. I have heard there is some truth behind non-microwave safe dishes being dangerous, and never EVER heat up food in a styrofoam container.

Next up: do cell phones cause brain tumors?

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

i never bought one on the principle that if i want food hot, i will use heat, not radiation.

that and food tastes like utter shit coming from a microwave or foreman grill. use a stove, or a BBQ.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• BureOne
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

certain foods do taste different when re-heated on a microwave... but not all. Pizza for exampe is best re-heated in an oven of course. I think it has to do more with the food being stale or "older" than fresh when first cooked or purchased.

ehh

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

thay say it´s dangerous if it´s very near you while you are cooking with it. BTW, I don´t use it because it takes most of nutricional benefits of vegetables...
            It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• lilsensa
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Ever heard of this?

Also, when using the microwave, always take food out of store bought containers and place food on a plate..I heard the plastic wrap wan melt and put chemicals on your food too..
              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• unkownartist
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Tatanka
                I always walk away while anyone used the microwave but then my peeps said there's a "net" on the door of the microwave that prevents the microwaves from radiation.
                If I can prevent myself from getting tumors or cancer jfrom staying away from the microwave I will, but what's really going on in that box?

do u use a mobile phone ?

Comment

• thesightless
                  Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                  • Jun 2004

dude. you are cooking food with radiation. simple point.
                  your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                  download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Miroslav
                    WHOA I can change this!1!
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tatanka
                    You're concerned about the netting on your microwave door? How about the actual food that you prepare in that microwave oven? Although nothing is proven, there are scientifically-based hypotheses that suggest that food prepared in microwave ovens is worse for you than food prepared conventionally. Read here:

The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking

Long story short, microwave ovens heat your food by molecular "friction" - i.e., agitating the molecules of your food. This agitation is not evenly distributed and may damage other food molecules, leading to things like changes in your hemoglobin, your HDL/LDL cholesterol ratios, your white blood cell count, enabling cancer-causing free radicals to build up in your body...

So is all this really bad for you? The jury is still out. Maybe the effect is small enough that it does not produce a statistically significant difference. Then again, maybe constant exposure to microwaved food deteriorates your body sufficiently enough that, over several decades, it contributes to (not causes) your becoming susceptible to other health problems like cancer - which perhaps, all else being equal, you could have avoided.

One last closing thought: You are so surrounded by microwave radiation in all kinds of forms that your microwave oven may be the least of your concerns. Cell phones, commercial plane travel, laptops, wireless LANS!.. You just can't escape it. You can only choose to try to minimize it in reasonable ways. For the record, I personally avoid microwave ovens whenever possible and have ordered an airtube-based headset for my cell phone talking. Again, all of this is extremely complex and the jury is still out... but keep in mind that no long-term microwave radiation exposure is principally good for you, regardless of the source.
                    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• BureOne
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

have any of you seen that video of cell phones popping the popcorn seeds???

http://www.koreus.com/video/telephone-portable-mais-popcorn.html

Comment

• Miroslav
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by BureOne
                        have any of you seen that video of cell phones popping the popcorn seeds???

http://www.koreus.com/video/telephone-portable-mais-popcorn.html
                        heard that one was debunked. there's another thread about it.

I still suspect that those devices are bad for us, though.

Comment

• unkownartist
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by thesightless
                          dude. you are cooking food with radiation. simple point.
                          not all rediation is harmfull lol

sean ur surrounded by radiation on a daily basis unless u live ur life in a lead box ?

Comment

• Miroslav
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by red1
                            not all rediation is harmfull lol
                            which radiation is good for you?

only kind I can think of is the sun, bc it significantly helps stimulate formation of Vitamin D in the body - but even that exposure should arguably be moderated.

but from everything I've read and heard, in principle you want less microwave radiation going through your body, not more.

Comment

• |Thrax|
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Mar 2007

First of all it’s important to understand that microwave cookery is perfectly safe. In fact, it’s probably the safest form of cooking, given that the oven never heats up and has no sharp edges. You cannot burn or cut yourself on a microwave oven.

Food is cooked by exactly the same source of power that is found in sunlight; i.e. short waves of electro-magnetic energy that, in the case of a microwave oven, are converted from electricity. And although this can be described as a form of radiation it is not, as some people seem to think, radioactive.

On the contrary, this is the same short-wave energy that is used in TV sets, some medical equipment and even FM radio. It’s also found in ordinary light bulbs, sun lamps and fluorescent tubes.

It cooks food because the microwaves are attracted by water molecules as well as those of fat and sugar. In turn, it causes them to vibrate, creating friction and therefore heat. It’s a process not unlike someone rubbing his, or her, hands together.

In many cases, only a part of the food is cooked in this way because the microwaves only penetrate up to a depth of about 5cm. Heat is spread to the rest of the food by convection and distribution, which is why stirring the food is important, as well as leaving it to stand for a few minutes after the oven switches off.

The speed with which microwaves cook has also given rise to the idea that they are unable to change the appearance of food and in particular that they fail to brown meat.

The truth is that most of the time meat is cooked before it has time to brown. This is particularly true of poultry and small joints. Using cooking bags can help to overcome this problem – if that’s what it is – as well as ‘painting’ with soy sauce, paprika, butter and the like.

On the plus side, meat cooked in the microwave will remain moist and succulent, retaining most of its nutrients, which in turn will give rise to enhanced flavor.

Vegetables, too, will benefit from the rapid cooking in very little water, which keeps both their color and their nutrients intact.

In short the microwave is not just for reheating leftovers and cooking TV dinners. It has a respectable place in any modern kitchen and has many benefits to offer, not the least being the fact that, while it may not entirely replace a conventional oven, it is a lot cheaper to buy, economically far superior and a good deal more versatile.
                              p.s. yes, this is a myth.
                              The "microwaves" bounce around inside because the length of the waves are took big to fit through the metal screen.

I read it in a book of truth, that debunks these.. in print at your local bookstore.
                              This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
                              Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

Working...