• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJ Marcus
    Fresh Peossy
    • Aug 2008

DJ Marcus 2 Hour Progressive Mix

Recorded Live August 2, 2008

1. Justin Xara feat. Aiste Smilga - Strazdas Part 2 (Tii Reworked Version)[Arctic Wave]
    2. Amine Edge - Powerful (Original Mix) [Homes Art Music]
    3. Viza-Peace (Original Mix) [Polytechnic Recordings]
    4. Arthur Deep-In Motion (Original Mix) [Tilth Music]
    5. Francis Blaid-If I Want You (Original Mix) [Tilth Music]
    6. Chris Girard- Rideau Street (Storyteller Remix) [Tilth Music]
    7. Diovanni-Can Be Real feat. Drica (Olivver & Saynne G-Juice Mix) [Tronic B7 Records]
    8. Soliquid-Iboya (Original Mix) [Baroque Records]
    9. Approaching Black-Ebb and Flow (AB’s Island Remix)[Flash Records]
    10. D:Fuse-Everything With You feat. Jes (D:Fuse’s T4L Vocal Mix) [Lost Angeles Recordings]
    11. Jeroma Isma-Ae, Oliver Moldan-White Lobster (Original Mix) [Armada Music]
    12. Kenny Shifter-Dirty Little Self (Andy Moor’s Sexy Vocal Mix) [Baroque Records]
    13. Francis Davila-Dreams (Original Mix) [Itzamna Recordings]
    14. Christopher Lawrence-Gotham (John Debo Remix) [Audacious Recordings]
    15. Tim Davison – Absolute [Baroque Records]
    16. Ben Preston – Sterile (Original Mix) [Groove Sense Records]
    17. Simon Sheppard – Fried Eqq (Original Mix) [Jigsaw Recordings]
    18. Jake Shanahan – My Seduction (Original Mix) [Discoveri]
    19. Dark Globe – Future’s Coming (Jay Lumen Dub) [GU Music Digital (Global Underground)]

Please feel free to email comments to mlschantz@gmail.com
  • Devbert
    Gold Gabber
    • Aug 2007

Re: DJ Marcus 2 Hour Progressive Mix

Will check it out - props on the share.

Comment

• l33z3r
      Fresh Peossy
      • Jul 2008

hey dj marcus just about to check out your mix, will hit back when ive listened to it.

Gotta love the Prog
      Time is the best teacher. The problem is that it kills all of its students.

Comment

• l33z3r
        Fresh Peossy
        • Jul 2008

very nice. i like that it stays with the easy listening where most prog mixes tend to get a bit dark at the end.

I particularly like you seamless mixes between tracks.

its a 8/10 from me mate.

Comment

• DJ Marcus
          Fresh Peossy
          • Aug 2008

Thanks so much for the feedback. Prog has always been my first love. I recorded another Prog mix on Saturday with nothing but pre-released material.

My record pool may release it or kick it back to me and if that happens I will post it up here with the track listing.

This weekend I am recording a prog mix for friskyRadio but am unsure when it will air. I am also looking into doing some stuff for Proton & DI.fm.

I'll be around.

In case you want to check out my other mixes, which as of today covers 5 genres, you can either search me in iTunes or go directly to my server at http://djmarcus/libsyn.com

Again, thanks!

Comment

• l33z3r
            Fresh Peossy
            • Jul 2008

Sounds like you have your hands full mate.
            I used to do a bit of dj'ing myself but i gave it up when i left college.
            Its an expensive hobby.

I still listen to a lot of music though and am always on the lookout for some new and interesting stuff.

What dj's are you into?

Comment

• i!!ustrious
              I got some N64 Games Yo!!
              • Mar 2008

sweet intuitive perception with those choon choices.

very, very good work DJ M. thanks alot.
              (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• movingzachb
                Getting Somewhere
                • Nov 2007

I have been playing this all morning on the station.
                Going over well!

Comment

• l33z3r
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by movingzachb
                  I have been playing this all morning on the station.
                  Going over well!
                  Thats a bit of publicity for you marcus

Comment

• Tatanka
                    Getting warmed up
                    • Jan 2008

One word mate... "sick" Thanks for the DL and much respect.

Comment

• DJ Marcus
                      Fresh Peossy
                      • Aug 2008

First of all, again let me say thank you! I am flattered beyond words by your comments.

And XTC radio....I used to listen to that at work everyday with RealPlayer. The fact that you played that mix is really an honor. So, thank you. Any way I could get a regular weekly show?

Let me see if I can address some of your questions and comments.

To I33z3r: DJ'ing can be done today on the cheap. I have had 4 decks (two 1200's and 2 CD decks CD800MKII's, plus a DJM600 mixer. That's about $4,000 right there. I held out for vinyl as long as I could and only went to CD's last year. I simply couldn't find vinyl any longer. Everything was going straight to Beatport so I gave in. Eventually I sold all of that gear.

All of my mixes are now made using Native Instrument's Tracktor 3 and a Hercules RMX controller. From a cost perspective doing it like this just makes sense. I make no money DJ'ing. It's simply my hobby. The software cost me $100 and the controller was $350. The only thing I pay for is music which I get cheaply through my record pool, and it's all good top production.

Using the software I can record to my hard drive in real time, so I no longer have to run lines from my mixer to my laptop. Doing it like this is so much easier. The software has more features than I care to mention and it can give new DJ's shortcuts. It will automatically beatmatch, but you still have to know what you're doing. Mixing cannot be computerized in my opinion. Mixing is an art and a skill that develops with time. Of course proper track selection is still organic.

What DJ's am I into? Honestly I don't listen to many other DJ's mixes these days. I am so busy during the week listening to new music and planning mixes. I work full time during the week as an attorney and only record mixes on the weekends. I spend my time on the train to and from downtown everyday with my iPod just listening to new releases.

However, I still keep track of what Deep Dish is up to, including both Sharam and Ali individually. Those guys are what got me into playing and their GU Moscow is still my favorite mix CD's of all time, followed closely by their GU Toronto.

I did recently buy Toolroom Knights mixed by Mark Knight and Felix da Housecat's GU Milan (haven't really listened to it yet).

I am trying to expand myself and over the last 6 weeks I have recorded 6 mixes of all different genres. But Progressive will always be my favorite.

You can download all of my other mixes here: http://djmarcus.libsyn.com

Also if any of you have myspace pages, please add me as a friend. http://myspace.com/djmarcus71

Also feel free to send me an email and introduce yourself to me. mlschantz@gmail.com I would like to get to know those that enjoy my mixes. I simply do this to share with my audience new music that I think is very, very good. So it's nice to know my efforts are appreciated.

If any of you want to post up links to my mixes or stream them on the internet somewhere, please do so. I can track downloads and streams from my server, which is how I found this board.

Thanks for listening!

Comment

• l33z3r
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Jul 2008

Ive been looking into dumping the vinyl in the last while. I have a set of sony decks at home and an Omnitronic mixer. It was a rather expensive bit of kit and has been gathering dust for quiet some time now.

I tend to make more music on the computer now with Propellerhead Reason. I think i shall have to sell my decks and invest in something like your set up. The only thing is, that i dont want to have to start my music collection from scratch as i like all my old tunes that i have on vinyl!

What is your experience with beatport like?

Ill check out some more of your stuff on the link you posted up.

Comment

• DJ Marcus
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by l33z3r
                          What is your experience with beatport like?
                          I understand about not wanting to give up the vinyl but you can solve that one of two ways:

1. Buy a USB turntable and convert all of your vinyl into MP3's; or
                          2. Buy them in MP3 format from Beatport, etc.

I have something like 300 vinyls and a lot of them sound really dated so losing my ability to play them did not break my heart. The really good ones that still sound good today were available on Beatport. Well most of them.

I have had no problems with Beatport. I like having to only spend at most $2.49 per track as opposed to $12.00 for a vinyl release with only one track that I would play.

Beatport has caused some not so great things however. Since labels don't have to print vinyl any longer they can literally exist out of someone's home. So, a lot more music is being produced and distributed via Beatport. Unfortunately, a lot of it is horribly bad. So you have to weed through the crap to find the gems and this takes a considerable amount of time unless you stick to specific labels and producers.

Comment

• l33z3r
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Jul 2008

I think the best and quickest way to drop the vinyl would be to buy the same tunes on beatport i suppose.

Ill have to look into it.

I had a quick look at beatport there and you are right, there is a lot of stuff to wade through.
                            Im looking at buying traktor now with the controller you mentioned also.

Do you produce much? I tried a couple of years back but never finished any tracks, and then i got bored! I used Reason. Ever tried it?

I went to the website you sent me http://djmarcus.lbsyn.com/ but there seems to be nothing there?

Comment

• DJ Marcus
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by l33z3r
                              Do you produce much? I tried a couple of years back but never finished any tracks, and then i got bored! I used Reason. Ever tried it?

I went to the website you sent me http://djmarcus.lbsyn.com/ but there seems to be nothing there?
                              Typo on the weblink, sorry. http://djmarcus.libsyn.com

Have not really tried production yet. I am sort of intimidated by all of the software/hardware. Seems like it's a pretty steep learning curve. Also I know if I start doing it seriously it would consume me, and I am pretty busy as it is.

Comment

Working...