Clear All
  • MJDub
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Olympics

Originally posted by Jenks
    Totally agree with you on that. Whoa... jnx agrees with shosh
    http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• MJDub
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Michael Phelps is a god.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• Miroslav
        WHOA I can change this!1!
        • Apr 2006

yeah...apparently that Phelps guy can do a spot or two of swimming.
        mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• day_for_night
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

amazing story. really happy for the guy, its not often you get to witness stuff like that. one for the books...

one of his team-mates said they coined a new phrase...'the phelpsian feat' (ala 'a spitzian feat'). seems pretty appropriate.

Comment

• MJDub
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

It's over. Michael Phelps won the whole Olympics.

I demand all Chuck Norris jokes be changed to Michael Phelps jokes.

Comment

• shosh
              Banned
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
              Totally agree with you on that. Whoa... jnx agrees with shosh
              you must have divided by 0 ---> universe has collapsed

changing the subject from michael phelps ... how bout usain bolt. that guys is amazing fast. he dropped his hands with seven strides left in the race, flipped up his palms and gestured them up and down with five strides left and pounded his chest with two left and started running sideways?. can you imagine how fast he really is, how fast he could run if he really tried and ran all the way? he's a fuckin freak

however, i think he got away with too much showboating. i think he's getting maybe a bit too much adulation and not enough critique. as espn's jim caple put it "he made Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson look restrained and humble" (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer...jim&id=3538723) in the first article that i have seen that actually criticizes him. can you imagine the media frenzy if phelps would have done similar things in the races he won by destroying his opponents? he would have been crucified. but i guess bolt gets away with it because he's jamaican mon and not american first and foremost.
              as great of a performance he had, i dont think his finish was in the spirit of the olympics, or fair play for that matter.

fuck the rest, usa's the best

go usa

america fuck yeah

Comment

• MJDub
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

One of my favorites:

Sure Jesus walked on water, but Michael Phelps swims through land.
                Yeah I agree about Usain Bolt. He was really classin' it up with all that retarded showboating. It would've been awesome to see him actually run the full 100 instead of running 80 and pulling a Deion Sanders for the last 20.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                  My dick is smaller
                  • Nov 2006

Bolt was amazing. just nuts. he can do all the showboating he wants. that's a tremendous feat. i can't honestly believe that the time he set the other night will be beaten...possibly ever.
                  you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Miroslav
                    • Apr 2006

^^ he'll beat it himself. He obviously could have. He was practically bored half way through...heard he finished up a crossword puzzle during the race, too.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                      My dick is smaller
                      • Nov 2006

^ true. re: Bolt, i was just reading that before this year, he had never run sub-10. now he's making world records. obviously, as the article stated, something is amiss.
                      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Miroslav
                        • Apr 2006

wow...and in stark contrast to Phelps: Anyone see Alicia Sacramone of the US women's gymnastics team get totally ripped off on the individual vault championships?? Sure, she screwed up during team competition, but she neatly landed two vaults with pretty good difficulty levels...then got bumped out of medal contention by a Chinese chick who FELL RIGHT ON HER ASS on one of the vaults! I'm no expert in gymnastics officiating...I just didn't realize that not landing on one's feet during the vault competition was something that the judges apparently like. I know that the judging is done by members of all countries, but it left me wondering how it might be possible for officiating to favor the Chinese.

What a joke...I feel bad for her, first her horrible team day and then getting screwed like this...

Comment

• shosh
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                          wow...and in stark contrast to Phelps: Anyone see Alicia Sacramone of the US women's gymnastics team get totally ripped off on the individual vault championships?? Sure, she screwed up during team competition, but she neatly landed two vaults with pretty good difficulty levels...then got bumped out of medal contention by a Chinese chick who FELL RIGHT ON HER ASS on one of the vaults! I'm no expert in gymnastics officiating...I just didn't realize that not landing on one's feet during the vault competition was something that the judges apparently like. I know that the judging is done by members of all countries, but it left me wondering how it might be possible for officiating to favor the Chinese.

What a joke...I feel bad for her, first her horrible team day and then getting screwed like this...
                          thats the problem with the new scoring system. a step out of bounds or a fall isn't deducted as much and keeps the gymnast in the competition. if one does an exercise and it's really good but she falls or steps out of bounds, she can get a better score than another who does a lesser exercise with no big faults

on another note:

NBC fails: http://www.nbcolympics.com/gymnastic...+liukin+silver

they might correct it but it's been immortalized

Comment

• MJDub
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

Dude fuck all these judges. The Chinese could fall off everything and take a nap, and these people would still give them the highest scores. Total bullshit.

Comment

• Miroslav
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by MJDub
                              Dude fuck all these judges. The Chinese could fall off everything and take a nap, and these people would still give them the highest scores. Total bullshit.
                              True...sure seems that way. But maybe the Chinese athletes have to get the highest scores since, knowing the Chinese government, they will probably be beaten into a bloody pulp otherwise for punishment. They treat those girls like slaves.

And on a related note, that tiebreaking methodology they used for the uneven bars is bullshit. It seems to me that this scoring system was made by short-sighted, number-crunching nerds who don't have the intellectual capacity to consider the broader perspective of their actions. Bela Karyoli was going off on it in his usual apeshit manner...and he's completely right.

1. It's completely non-transparent to the public. To me, it's less than ideal to have a system so arbitrarily complex that the public is left scratching its head when a tie comes up. The sport resonates much better with people when things are resolved in a sensible, transparent manner.

2. It actually rests the entire decision on the opinion of one judge. If the execution scores are the same, they take out the lowest score and then re-average the next three scores. Put another way, it undermines the integrity of having a panel of six judges up there. If you're going to do it like this, just send the other 5 judges home and call it what it is: a scoring dictatorship.

3. Other sports in the olympics allow double medals for athletes with the same scores. If they got the same winning score in the official competition, even down to the sub-score levels, then they both deserve the medal. That is a result that is transparent, fair, and sensible.

Comment

• ownit
                                Getting Somewhere
                                • Jan 2007

fill in the blank.._________________.

Comment

Working...