X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

McCain on Georgia-Russia

I realize that with Obama chillin' in Hawaii, McCain has seized upon the opportunity to make himself look more presidential by taking this conflict head on and being extremely vocal about his position.

As I watch it unfold, though, I can't help but wonder if he hasn't unwittingly escalated the situation. He comes out strong in favor of Georgia, and President Saakashvili basically says, "Uh, that's great and all, but we need you to get more actively involved here."

Not that McCain has the authority to do diddly poo, but supposing for a moment that he did, what exactly would he intend to do when essentially challenged to act? He's rattling sabers while our sabers are tied up elsewhere -- and it's not as if we should be champing on the bit to get involved in armed conflict with an actual nuclear power anyway. It's this sort of reckless bravado that got us into this mess to begin with...
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: McCain on Georgia-Russia

well...I kinda doubt that McCain would advocate to actually get involved in a war with Russia right now, even if our troops weren't in Iraq. Even our current president probably wouldn't be that stupid. No one is eager to kick off World War III with a major nuclear power.

At the core of it, McCain seems to me to be saying generally the same thing that everyone else is saying - including Obama. They're all condemning Russia, telling them to stop, warning of vague consequences, etc. I agree that McCain certainly sounds more aggressive, though. I suspect a good part of that is an act - an superficial attempt to differentiate himself from Obama. I prefer Obama's delivery, but I don't know how much of that will translate into substantive policy differences in dealing with Russia. Both have indicated that they would support Georgia's inclusion in NATO, which would really piss the Russians off.

One final thought, though: the general message that McCain, Obama, and most every other politician is sending is the right one, in my opinion. Russia needs to feel political and diplomatic heat over what they've done. It's not good to let Russian empire-building ambitions go unchecked. We've already watched them eat up half of Europe once before.
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
      You really think McCain would just send US troops over to Russia over this?
      No, and as I read back what I wrote, it's not as clear as it could have been. I think everyone knows that we wouldn't intervene militarily even if we weren't tied up elsewhere. The point is more that it smacks of Bush's cowboy blatherings, which just sends a chill up my spine.

But imagine if McCain were president and this happens. He makes a tough statement, and Georgia actually asks for us to take action. What then? Most likely, we don't do shit and we look like smacked asses, that's what happens. Regardless, once you take a strong enough stand, you sorta paint yourself into a corner and put yourself into an untenable situation, IMO.

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

bro..... this goes beyond any election nonsense and into the realm of the idea of the "big bad USA puttting its nose where it aint suppsed to"

we are damned that we are helping, and if went sent troops, we would be poking our noses where it dont belong

let this one be, long term stable governemet in the middle east is what the world needs right now.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

last i read, neocon pundits were calling for us to get directly involved with protecting georgia. being that they and mccain are lock-step, it's hard for me to consider mccain wouldn't start shit up. at least consider that mccain is willing to expend every last life and dollar into the iraq war, a war that, in comparison to this conflict, seems clearly less legitimate.
          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

the involvemnet i want formt he US is bush to say "guys, please stop" then walk away

the the UN handle this one, with out us, we'll see if the rest of them can get it done.
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• 88Mariner
              My dick is smaller
              • Nov 2006

this is fantastic. The president of Georgia is calling McCain's bluff, asking him to walk the walk and take action.
              you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

gee, where is the UN on this one?

Comment

• FM
                  Wooooooo!
                  • Jun 2004

who cares? Georgia started this whole mess, "US backing" or not...you think they didn't expect retaliation?

Gee who does that sound like
                  FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                  "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                  Facebook!
                  A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Miroslav
                    WHOA I can change this!1!
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by FM
                    who cares? Georgia started this whole mess, "US backing" or not...you think they didn't expect retaliation?

Gee who does that sound like
                    You know, I was thinking along the same lines you were just a week ago. Now I'm no longer quite so sure... The speed and scope of the Russian response seemed to go well beyond South Ossetia and be targetted at weakening Georgia itself. And it's no secret that the Russians have a lot of reasons to hate and subdue the Georgians. Russia wants to punish not just Georgia but the West for supporting the country, for considering it for NATO, and for their entire policy in former Yugoslavia - not to mention the whole missile defense system. And, of course, there is always that major oil pipeline they wouldn't mind getting their hands on. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out that the Kremlin directly supported the Ossetians in provoking the Georgians into a war - so that they could have a "legitimate" reason to go in and decimate them. That said, the Russians are smart enough to cover their tracks to the extent that we'll never really know.
                    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

Working...