Recreational benders: Do you? Yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Recreational benders: Do you? Yay or nay?

I'm all for legalisation and harm minimisation. Used to go at it hard but not anymore 'cos the body can't keep up. I don't mind the occasional bender to see if I can.

But I'm glad I'm not dependant on it. Actually, more often than not, in hindsight, a lot of time is wasted getting fucked up, remaining fucked up, and then recovering. Time I could be doing other things, so I guess that's a perspective shift that comes with age.

But I'm also glad I've tried all the shit I've done, it's definitely interesting and mind-expanding. I'd even go as far as describing it as character-building but that depends on the individual, what they get out of it, or why they're doing it in the first place.

Discuss!

Now leave the webcam thread alone.

BTW I notice there's seldom such talk on [ms] so if there is some rule against it, sorry in advance.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • Shiva
    MCast Mistress
    • Nov 2007

Re: Recreational benders: Do you? Yay or nay?

^ Life is already very hard as it is and it is becoming harder by the day: social, economical etc etc...

We are all humans after all and not machines. We might be looking for a getaway sometimes; We've got one life and it is normal to try and live it to the best we can.
    So trying few recreational benders sometimes would surely add some spice to daily lifes, make you feel less ignorant about things, and maybe learn few other things about ur inner self. They key to all this is to always know the way back and therefore be MODERATE and SMART in choosing whatever recreational thing you might be getting into (if you wana do it that is). Of course, hard stuff are out of the equation coz there is no moderation in them, once ur in you're stuck. And if that recreational thing is not "musical" I personally don't even consider it coz after all I am looking for smooth fun and not nasty trouble.

Comment

• MJDub
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Shit's hilarious. Especially when I tackle my sister-in-law through the glass front door.
      http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• berps
        Gold Gabber
        • Jul 2004

A BIG Yay ! for Recreational benders
        But in Moderation you understand!!!
        Use Wisely & Stay Safe!
        Whatever your Poison!
        If these Recreational Benders last longer than a weekend its more Habit than Recreation!!

Ps Recreational Bender for me this Weekend V festival Staffordshire Camping And its Lashing it down good old british summer
        "IM GETTING CAKED@THEWEEKEND!!!!!!!!! "

Comment

• diegoff
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Shiva
          ^ Life is already very hard as it is and it is becoming harder by the day: social, economical etc etc...

We are all humans after all and not machines. We might be looking for a getaway sometimes; We've got one life and it is normal to try and live it to the best we can.
          So trying few recreational benders sometimes would surely add some spice to daily lifes, make you feel less ignorant about things, and maybe learn few other things about ur inner self. They key to all this is to always know the way back and therefore be MODERATE and SMART in choosing whatever recreational thing you might be getting into (if you wana do it that is). Of course, hard stuff are out of the equation coz there is no moderation in them, once ur in you're stuck. And if that recreational thing is not "musical" I personally don't even consider it coz after all I am looking for smooth fun and not nasty trouble.
          ^^ agree.
          And add that´s difficult sometimes to realize the limit of "it´s for recreation" and "I don´t know why, but I do it anyways"
          It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
          Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
          May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

Depending on the "recreation" I agree Shiva ... combining the experience with music is the way to go, but you need to remember not to overdo things and be sensible.

Some of me most treasured memories are from the likes of Space in ibiza where you have certain freedoms and are comfortably 1,000s miles away from your day-to-day life and colleagues/people you don't want to bump into !

Do it ... but do it responsibly.
            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• coleby761
              Are you Kidding me??
              • May 2008

Back in my clubbing days I was all for recreational benders, hitting the clubs and enjoying the scene. Then the weekends carried over into the week and jobs, relationships, and self-identity was lost. Drugs became what my life was about and I realized I had become an addict, I was looking for that escape 24/7. It took me ten years to get clean and put the drugs down. I don't want to be a party pooper and I certainly don't frown on people who use recreationally but for me it's a nay. I was gonna go see Lawler in Boston last week but couldn't put myself in that environment have to put my recovery first. That's why I love MS cuz I still get to enjoy the music and I guess I can listen to these amazing sets and picture myself in the thick of it on the dancefloor!

Comment

• Shiva
                MCast Mistress
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by simonr
                Depending on the "recreation" I agree Shiva ... combining the experience with music is the way to go, but you need to remember not to overdo things and be sensible.

Some of me most treasured memories are from the likes of Space in ibiza where you have certain freedoms and are comfortably 1,000s miles away from your day-to-day life and colleagues/people you don't want to bump into !

Do it ... but do it responsibly.
                ^ yes, that is exactly what I mean when I say "Party Hard, Party SMART"

The need to have recreational benders is also related to many other factors. Of course, each person has his/her own limits/circumstances/needs etc etc...

As far as I am concerned Simon, I can't afford to overdo it, life doesn't allow me to do that (some would say: I'm too old for this shit!) lol
                But since I am still dealing with edm (play gigs and afterhours), sometimes an extra push is needed to carry on for the night/morning. At this point, for me it becomes a mix of work & pleasure, and when I am through with my duties it also means I am through with the recreational benders... For me there are no such things as "saturday took over sunday, and then sunday took over monday...", I simply can't afford that, I have 2 careers to manage + family..
                Everything has its own time and limit.

Comment

• unkownartist
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

erm

Comment

• Taylor Norris
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Oct 2005

During the late 90's into early 00's when raves were still huge around the mid-west I did a lot of experimentaion. However I was always the "care taker" of the group, making sure everyone stayed safe during the evening, doing head counts before we made the long trip home, ALWAYS ALWAYS taking driver duties and so on...

These weekends never seemed to spill over into the week. There was always school or some other responsibility on monday and I was usually to tired by the time we got home to think of anything but sleep.

I have absolutley no regrets. These years spent travelling with friends have produced some of my fondest memories and greatest insight into who I am. Now there may only be a few instances a year that I may partake in the extra curriculars. DEMF and maybe some random basement sessions with friends.

Im pretty sure my bender days are in the past and I believe thats where they belong.

Comment

• lilsensa
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

I did all my recreational bending back from when I was about 13-22 years old....None for me anymore...I just hate the days that follow where you are suffering from having too much fun..You can't get the time back that you wasted being "wasted"....Not for me anymore..I'd rather take an ambien. LOL
                      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Taylor Norris
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by lilsensa
                        I'd rather herb it up....
                        Ahh yes the herb....

I still enjoy relaxing w/ some smoke and a brew. All in moderation.

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
                          Editor Shmeditor
                          • Nov 2006

Last year was probably the most bender-heavy since the good 'ole days when I was 17 and used to smash it every weekend with little or no consequences. At least not short-term; I'm still waiting to find out exactly what the long term effects will be. This year hasn't exactly been a quiet one either, and I can't see it completely ceasing any time soon.

What I have found as I've got older is not that the days/weeks after have been much worse, just that I was more aware of the them and have felt more guilty than actually physically feeling bad. Drugs are such a 'mental' experience that the more of life you experience the more acutely you consider everything when on/recovering from whatever you take. Also, with the massive decline in quality over the last decade I notice that I almost expect drugs to be shite which must effect how they affect me. I've also (like many of you chaps I'm sure) had some appalling expereinces taking too many drugs that I will never forget and that have in some part tainted by 'drug honeymoon' which thankfully seems to be lasting longer than most.

Anyway fuck this, who's got the beans? I feel a five-finger plant brewing...
                          Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7

Comment

• thesightless
                            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                            • Jun 2004

my life is one long bender of booze, bud and women. it really is startying to get to me. trhank god i stopped doing things involving white or grey chimicals.
                            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• AntonyM
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Oct 2004

It is getting tougher every year, most of my friends enjoy the EDM scene are a lot younger as well as living in Vegas everyone likes to get wasted all the time, so I personally look for a show that I know will deliver that over the top mental state. Will probably ramp it up for Digweed in LA but most of the other DJ's I go see I will see sans everything, even the booze, you realize how much more social you can be without all the shite, not knocking it cause if it is on, it's on, then it is time to hit the dancefloor and get down. Overall, it would be nice to hit up a top night totally straight, but as for myself, those junky dance cells in my body start jonesin to take myself out there and sometime you have to go with it, then there are other times you go out on a weekday to catch someone or support an underground night and it sucks as you stand there at four in the morning going, damn I have to be at work in four hours, so there you go.
                              Originally posted by Shpira
                              So came back last night...
                              Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                              Originally posted by Illuminate
                              Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                              2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                              3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                              4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

Working...