X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • el presidente Highsteppa
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

The Grudge

I'm not sure really of the point of keeping a movie's director and location, but bothering with excuses to put a lot of Americans onscreen in a nearly shot for shot remake of the original. The film spends more time trying to account for why the nearly all gaijin cast is in Japan rather than focusing on the atmosphere and scares that the original provided in such abundance. With the Americans in the lead roles, it manages to distract from the story and ambiance which drives 90% of this film.

Do yourself a favour, try and track down the original Japanese version DVD and watch it instead, it works a lot better and isn't distracted by having Sarah Michelle Gellar (who will probably never be able to shake her Buffy image much less provide a decent performance outside of the show) trying to make scared faces or feeblely explain why there are so many white people hanging around Japan.

I just wish the original had some of the slick look and special effects that this one did. Other than that, this is a pretty redundant and silly exercise.
    Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

her performance in 'The Harvard Man' was about the best she's capable of.
    i personally dont care to see this movie for two reasons:
    1. its PG-13
    2. sarah michelle gellar is in it

two top reasons to pass on a film imo, but i didnt know it was a remake.
    does the original have the same title or would i have to look for it in japanese language?

Comment

Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly";p="
      does the original have the same title or would i have to look for it in japanese language?
      The original is actually titled Ju-On: The Grudge, and it even had a Japanese TV series and a pretty decent sequel. The best thing that made the original so unnerving was the fact that there was little (if any) explanation for why the curse came about in the first place. The film bothers to add in a lame subplot with Bill Pullman (the president from Independence Day - another reason to avoid it) explaining why everything happened.

The first scene had the audience laughing so hysterically hard (and I'm guessing not intentionally so), not a great way to start off a "serious" horror film.
      Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

Comment

• Hombre
        Getting warmed up
        • Oct 2004

Re: The Grudge

First of all I don't understand why Sam Raimi got involved in this project in the first place...
        And second of all... why oh why did the jap director agreed to do this... it's as stupid as Gus Van Sant's version of Psycho... oh wait! $$$

Comment

• trancein
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

Movie Grudge

Who has seen this movie...if you didn't go see it, it will scare the shit out of you. I saw it last night, and for me its the scariest movie since Exorcist.

Comment

• peter_griffin
            Fresh Peossy
            • Oct 2004

Stupid movie.

So many horror cliches it was funny, and the way the story line went was stupid and hard to follow.

My girlfriend and I were asking each other questions about the plot the whole time.

Although she and I jumped a couple of times, I was sorely dissapointed with this film and would not recommend it to anyone.

Comment

• rewing3
              I really don't care
              • Jun 2004

Glad i did not waste my money on this movie then
              Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• GregWhelan
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Thought it was a pile of cack-these films just piss me off,they are not realistic in any way.If I heard some kid moaning in an attic the way this kid does,i would be staright outta there,not climbing up to have a look like some dumbass yank always does in these films

Comment

• koteflosse
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jun 2004

For those who have seen The Grudge, what do you think about the news of a sequel?
                  I think, why not. I would watch it. The Grudge had some good scares. And who knows, well except for those who have seen the jap. version, it may have a better story.

Comment

• fyreater179
                    Addiction started
                    • Jul 2004

well since i get in free....why not...one or two good jumps is worth it...plus i'm a loser so......

Comment

• tf10
                      Fresh Peossy
                      • Nov 2004

Re: Movie Grudge

please watch the original japanese films (1 and 2), and dont lose your time with this US crapy versions

if you want some classic horror movies just watch the asian movies :wink:

Comment

• palmer
                        Retired or Simply Important
                        • Jun 2004

continue hUr

come on man.... these were on the same page
                        todayistomorrow
                        art direction | design | animation

Comment

• koteflosse
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Jun 2004

When I first seen the previews of this movie, I thought to myself Ring 2. Later I found out, the creator of Ju-On also created Ringu. It's all coming together. But I think The Grudge will be pretty cool, it's not really meant to keep you wrapped up in some overly drawn out story line, but rather scare the crap out of you.

Comment

• DigitalReason
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2004

sarah michelle gellar
                            http://www.myspace.com/digitalreason96

Comment

Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by koteflosse
                              For those who have seen The Grudge, what do you think about the news of a sequel?
                              I think, why not. I would watch it. The Grudge had some good scares. And who knows, well except for those who have seen the jap. version, it may have a better story.
                              I've seen the Japanese sequel and it starts to bring things together as well as paints some pretty plausible reasons why things would continue, rather than have some other stupid family move into the house.

Hopefully they'll do a better job than they did with the first.

Comment

Working...