Clear All
  • lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

RIP Leroi Moore

Wow.....

Dave Matthews Band sax player LeRoi Moore dies

By RAQUEL MARIA DILLON – 7 hours ago
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Dave Matthews Band saxophone player LeRoi Moore, one of the group's founding members and a key part of its eclectic jazz-infused sound, died Tuesday from sudden complications stemming from injuries he sustained in an all-terrain vehicle accident in June. He was 46.
    Moore died at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, according to a statement released on the band's Web site. The statement did not specify what led to his death.
    Moore was initially hospitalized in late June after the accident on his farm outside Charlottesville, Va. He was later discharged and had recently returned to his Los Angeles home to begin a physical rehabilitation program when complications forced him back to the hospital on July 17, the band said.
    Galina Shinder, a nursing supervisor at Hollywood Presbyterian, said the hospital could not release any details.
    Ambrosia Healy, the band's publicist, said the band's show Tuesday night in Los Angeles was not canceled. Saxophonist Jeff Coffin, who played with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, had been sitting in for Moore during the band's summer tour.
    Moore, who liked to wear his trademark dark sunglasses at the bands' live concerts, had classical training but said jazz was his main musical influence, according to a biography on the band's Web site.
    "But at this stage I don't really consider myself a jazz musician," Moore said in the biography. Playing with the Dave Matthews Band was "almost better than a jazz gig," he said. "I have plenty of space to improvise, to try new ideas."
    Lead singer Dave Matthews credited Moore with arranging many of his songs, which combine Cajun fiddle-playing, African-influenced rhythms and Matthews' playful but haunting voice.
    The band formed in 1991 in Charlottesville, Va., when Matthews was working as a bartender. He gave a demo tape of his songs to Moore, who liked what he heard and recruited his friend and fellow jazzman Carter Beauford to play drums, and other musicians.
    The group broke out of the local music scene with the album "Under the Table and Dreaming." The band won a Grammy Award in 1997 for its hit song "So Much to Say" off its second album "Crash." Other hits include "What Would You Say," "Crash Into Me" and "Satellite."
    RIP ~ Steve James

• lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: RIP Leroi Moore

What a musician....A must hear video...Leroi's saxaphone solo will rip you a new one in this vid...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesIbOfT8hk[/YOUTUBE]
    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• chanty
      John, John, where art thou!
      • Jun 2004

Sad news indeed! RIP
      Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• lilsensa
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Man, just thinking about the amazing jam sessions....This first vid is really something..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTow153PMo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_341FVawB4[/YOUTUBE]
        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• jeffrey collins
          Not cool enough
          • Jun 2004

Damn, sorry to hear about that. He really helped to make that bands sound different from other groups.
          Jeffrey Collins: Painter
          My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
          My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• res0nat0r
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • May 2006

I heard this news this morning, sad...

Comment

• BSully828
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Awful news. One of a kind alright, will be listening to Crash in tribute tonight.
              Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
              a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• AntonyM
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Oct 2004

Definitely changes the bands chemisty, what is #41 without that sax. He could take a song is such great directions, will be missed.
                Originally posted by Shpira
                So came back last night...
                Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                Originally posted by Illuminate
                Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• lilsensa
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

A buddy of mine was at the concert in LA when Dave announced that Leroi had died...He said everyone kinda heard rumors of his death and were questioning it with one another. Then when he announced it, everyone lost it...I don't know how they played that night...They even played the night after (Last night...Unreal...I heard it was a crazy good show..If I can get it on torrent, I'll post it.
                  RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• lilsensa
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

^^And here it is... 3 hour show!!

http://www.dreamingtree.org/download...flac16.torrent <---Torrent here....

Info..

This recording is dedicated to LeRoi, just as the show was. Please send all thanks and gratitude to him.

Dave Matthews Band
                    August 19, 2008
                    Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA

Taper: Jon Koch
                    Source: Schoeps MK4 > active cables > Nbox+ > IRiver iHP-120 (Rockbox)
                    Transfer: IRiver iHP-120 > USB > PC
                    Edit: wav > Sony Soundforge 7.0b > wav > CD Wave > wav
                    Conversion: wav > FLAC frontend 1.7.1 > .flac

---PRESERVE THE QUALITY, PLEASE DO NOT ENCODE INTO MP3 OTHER THAN FOR PERSONAL USE---

Disc 1:

01: Intro [03:35]
                    02: Bartender [14:52]
                    03: Proudest Monkey > [08:00]
                    04: Satellite [05:46]
                    05: So Damn Lucky [08:18]
                    06: Eh Hee > [05:49]
                    07: Water Into Wine [04:03]
                    08: Burning Down The House [04:06]
                    Total: [54:29]

Disc 2:
                    01: Dancing Nancies [10:00]
                    02: Loving Wings [10:44]
                    03: The Maker [09:10]
                    04: Sledgehammer [06:21]
                    05: Grey Street [05:55]
                    06: The Dreaming Tree [13:56]
                    Total: [56:06]

Disc 3:
                    01: Crash Into Me [05:39]
                    02: Everyday [09:01]
                    03: Anyone Seen The Bridge > [03:09]
                    04: Too Much (fake) > Ants Marching [08:42]
                    05: Encore break/story about Roi [07:47]
                    06: Sister [04:40]
                    07: Cornbread [06:15]
                    08: Two Step [16:25]
                    Total: [61:38]

Notes: And so ends a very sad day. I'll leave it to the DMB crew to say it best (see below). Rest in peace, Roi. We all love and will miss you.

As we sat this afternoon contemplating the loss of our brother, we wondered how we could possibly do a show today. Dave put it into perspective stating, "There's no place I'd rather be than here with you guys right now." We cherish special memories of our lost friend. Tonight, Dave told a story about LeRoi at a bar in Virginia where the cash register was near the stage and LeRoi leaned on the register because "standing had become a chore". Roi proceeded to play the most beautiful version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Dave said, "that was the day I fell in love with him. And I'm still in love with him." It's safe to say we all were in love with him. "It's always easier to leave, than to be left." -DM

The DMB Crew
                    Wednesday, August 20
                    12:27 AM PDT

Never pay for or sell live recordings.

Compiled on 8.20.08
                    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• coleby761
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • May 2008

So sad such a gifted musician. Love their old stuff before it got to commercial and saw some amazing shows in the late 90's. Thanks for the post. Such a true statement " always easier to leave than to be left."

Comment

• diegoff
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

very bad news!!!! I love the sax of that band... btw, I have tickets for their show; they´ll play in Buenos Aires in October 3rd, holy shit! I´ll miss him...
                        It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                        Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                        May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• lilsensa
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

Go!! The reviews are coming in saying that they are at their best. I saw them in July...What a show!
                          RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• diegoff
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

how do I download from the link??? thanx!
                            It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• lilsensa
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

^^It's a torrent file...You must download a torrent client such as Bit Torrent.. http://www.bittorrent.com/
                              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

Working...