X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: my vinyl obsession

First of all, thank you to each one of you for your congratulatory remarks - very kind of you! I've been driving all day, so now I'm finally catching up at a Comfort Inn somewhere in Missouri... Sry for all the quotes, but I think this is the only way I can respond!

Originally posted by chanty
    How long have you been collecting records? I'm curious to see what you spent annually.
    I think this is just now going onto my 6th year...so spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,500 a year - probably more than that earlier back when I had a real job. But I must say, I have come remarkably far with my record buying budget even while at school...tax refunds help, as does an early bonus for my new job and summer internship income. On the flip side, I think I haven't really bought new clothes in like two years!

Originally posted by Jenks
    Traktor Scratch Live is your friend Miroslav. All that vinyl nicely packed into a thumb drive.
    [quote=Taylor Norris;640852]Agreed...quote]
    Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to start using Traktor in the near term, because it's the only thing that fits my need for mobility right now. I'm going to be moving around the country a lot over the next two years because of my job, and it's just gets to be a hassle bc I'm not doing full company-sponsored moves with trucks, etc. - I'm basically doing "light" moves to furnished apartments, etc. If I was stably settled down somewhere and had a house in which to store all of my stuff, I wouldn't sweat it...

Originally posted by djsethnichols
    My vinyl addiction has taken my collection to about 4k records currently. ... Figures, I made the right choice.
    Right on. I'm not going to totally drop the vinyl, bro. I took less with me so that I could add more to my collection...

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
    Congrats Miroslav on your masters. You should get in touch with me if you want a place to store those records. I've got a nice closet with plenty of space to spare, so if you came around for a weekend you could pick the rest up.
    Thank you, Jeffrey. I should've hit you up earlier! Alas, now it's all arranged and I'm headed out of town... but I will keep it in mind.

Originally posted by 88Mariner
    congrats Miroslav. Where are you headed to with the job?
    I would recommend taking the vinyl. it can't be that much extra weight/space...
    I'm working for a company called Textron. Among other things, they make Cessna airplanes, Bell helicopters, aerial drones, smart bombs...even golf carts! Coming out of B school, I'm in their financial rotation program...which means I get to spend 6 months at Cessna (Wichita, Ks), 6 months at Bell (Dallas-Ft. Worth), and 1 year in Providence, RI - and after that, who knows. My assignments will be covering everything from business unit planning/forecasting/reporting to Six Sigma to treasury management to investor relations... it's a living...

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    ....I bet it was hard to part ways with some of it already....I know it would be hard for me to part with some of the vinyl I have collected over the years, and I don't even DJ!
    Oh my goodness!...I have spent SO much time over the past few days sifting through my record collection. I listened to every single record I was going to give back to make sure that I wasn't letting anything go that would really hurt later...and I kept so much that I thought I might get rid of. And then, I spent forever selecting the records that I'll take with me for now... tired just thinking about it

But I have to say...vinyl has been really good to me. So much so that it deserves it's own post (this one is long enough)!...
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• phuck'm-up
      MCast Resident DJ
      • Jan 2008

Sounds familiar....You always want more!

Time to go to a VA meeting!!!
      https://soundcloud.com/bass00monkey/aquanaun_rebirth_club_controler_demo_a_real_dj_featuring_eddie_golds_fly_away_with_k_major

Comment

• phuck'm-up
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Taylor Norris
        Agreed. It was awkward at first but you get used to it and there are major benefits. Im actually starting to prefer CDJ's too

still not anywhere near comfortable playing on cds
        https://soundcloud.com/bass00monkey/aquanaun_rebirth_club_controler_demo_a_real_dj_featuring_eddie_golds_fly_away_with_k_major

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

I have to say... even as I'll probably start to use Traktor, nothing will ever take the place of those records. It's so much more than just the music on them... it's the road trips I'd make to get to the store in Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland...the time I'd spend hard at work going through stacks of records...the good friends I've made through it... It was a great feeling to look back through my collection and see how far I've come, from early d&b to house to progressive to minimal. And the gems that I've kept...every time I come across them and look at the covers and put them under the needle, it's all like tasting a wine that just gets better and better with age. No mp3 is ever going to be able to provide that full range of meaning to me.

The vinyl has been good to me, and even though I may start doing some digital, I won't ever totally foresake it. The real gems, I'll still be getting those on vinyl.
          Here's to you, precious vinyl records!
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• i!!ustrious
            I got some N64 Games Yo!!
            • Mar 2008

we sold our soul for wax and needle!!

best of luck with all that ish dude.

(((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• BureOne
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
              I have to say... even as I'll probably start to use Traktor, nothing will ever take the place of those records. It's so much more than just the music on them... it's the road trips I'd make to get to the store in Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland...the time I'd spend hard at work going through stacks of records...the good friends I've made through it... It was a great feeling to look back through my collection and see how far I've come, from early d&b to house to progressive to minimal. And the gems that I've kept...every time I come across them and look at the covers and put them under the needle, it's all like tasting a wine that just gets better and better with age. No mp3 is ever going to be able to provide that full range of meaning to me.

The vinyl has been good to me, and even though I may start doing some digital, I won't ever totally foresake it. The real gems, I'll still be getting those on vinyl.
              Here's to you, precious vinyl records!
              hear hear man! For the past 2 months, I've set the mp3's aside for just a moment and I've been sticking my fingers in my shelf... pulling out stuff from 94, 95, its awesome to dust away the dirt and put the needle on the rekid, listen to the crackles and the old bass sound.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                Not cool enough
                • Jun 2004

Best of luck to you bro.
                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...