X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shiva
    MCast Mistress
    • Nov 2007

This weekend: "Info workshop day"

I donno if you ever found yourself in the situation where you have to clean up the digital info you receive. When I say infos I mean: Software/Music/Pix/Articles etc etc....that is stored onto the pc.

Since this weekend seems to be a calm one over here, i.e. no gigs no partying, I am profiting to reorganize my "logistics", reorganizing and managing all this.
    I usually do this once a year, and it is not easy coz I find myself sinking in files spread around the house on cds, memory sticks or hard drives. Even my main pc and laptop become so filled with info that I dont have anymore space disk to work with...
    And now that I have gathered all this in one place I see a 1 meter and 1/2 tower of cd boxes that I have to go through, delete duplicates, archive oldies (music), backup pix etc etc....

I donno, but for me this reorganizing information thing that I call my "workshop day" is really time consuming and I cant afford not to do it at least once a year otherwise I will saturate my pc, my internal network, my music, my files and will definetly get lost sooner or later....

According to the amount of info that I have to reorganize, it will take me probably a few days before my hubby and I complete this task.

You guys, users, djs, artists, do you face similar issues on ur pcs?
    How do u manage all this quantity of info and files, i.e. music/software/pix etc etc...?
    Do you copy them onto dvds to store them or you use a tape backup device? Buy external hdds and use a sync system for that? Do you manage your files periodically? If yes how often?

• feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: This weekend: "Info workshop day"

DELETE.

The best helper when it comes to organising. Too often we accmulate shit we never have need for anyway, just because we think we might need it some time later.

It'll be harder for you to delete if you need the mp3s for playing, etc. These days I delete 80% of the sets after I've heard them, so the 20% or less goes into a 'permanent' collection ... which I seldom ever pull out again for listening anyway.

There's just too much data out there these days. Surely the Law of Conservation should apply to data!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Shiva
      MCast Mistress
      • Nov 2007

Till now I gathered approximately 120 cds to throw.
      I didnt start with the hard drives yet...

I have all the info organized into 3 sections: Music / Software / Pix&Vids (Modeling & personals)
      The BIG section is the music section that has 4 subsections:
      Sets (All) / Djing (trx) / Production (projects) / Production Software
      And here lies the bulk of my problems...lol

Comment

• Taylor Norris
        Platinum Poster
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by feather
        DELETE.
        +1

I have my permanent music/pics/and apps stored on CD and an external HD. All the rubbish never leaves my laptop and goes straight to the trash. It was getting pretty unorganized at one point and now I just stay on top of all the data instead of having a "workshop day" once or twice a year. Seems much easier that way. You just have to come up with a system and NOT procrastinate. Things can pile up quickly.....

On my external I have two main directories, Stored and Not Stored. Under the Stored directory I have all the backup CD's stored as folders. For example:

A folder called "DJ Sets Spring 08 #1". This contains all the music stored on the corresponding CD called "DJ Sets Spring 08 #1". This way if Im looking for a certain set on CD for some reason, I can search my Stored directory and find out which CD its on.

Under the Not Stored directory I have basic folders labeled Music, which breaks down into DJ Sets, DJ Tracks, Non EDM, etc.... Pics, breaking down into different folders by event and so on. Once I have enough pics, music or whatever to fill a CD I will put that data into a folder with the new CD name, burn the CD, and move that folder into the Stored directory.

Its a system. Find whatever works for you.

Comment

• Shiva
          MCast Mistress
          • Nov 2007

Lots of duplicates, tracks, sound banks, refills, pix.... a mess! lol

Comment

• Taylor Norris
            Platinum Poster
            • Oct 2005

lolz good luck

Comment

• raver_mania
              Watch out....I'm trying to sense here
              • Aug 2004

Usually just back-up stuff on DVD's to store them, but an external hard drive is also a good option. In fact, that reminds me that I need to back-up a bunch of stuff from my old desktop that I don't use anymore.

This is easier said than done but doing a clean-up once a month rather than once a year will make it seem much less of such an unsurmountable task. However, like I said, easier said than done, and I need to follow my own advice.

And of course deleting is KEY!

Comment

• Steve Graham
                DJ Jelly
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Shiva
                Lots of duplicates, tracks, sound banks, refills, pix.... a mess! lol
                YES! I try to do a little each day, but I really need to start by organising what I have and go from there.. the digital age is great as far as music access but it has made a mess of my HD, lol

Comment

• Shiva
                  MCast Mistress
                  • Nov 2007

^ A disaster on my hdds

Comment

• Steve Graham
                    DJ Jelly
                    • Jun 2004

^^^ new track name IMO

Comment

• Shiva
                      MCast Mistress
                      • Nov 2007

And I have these folders where I archive tracks I receive from other djs and friends that play different styles of music, not proggy but rather techno music, zabiella style...

Comment

• Dhar_2
                        meat and potatoes
                        • Jun 2004

yeah, i know how u feel!

every now and then i try and tidy stuff up.

ie this weekend.

problem is its time consuming and boring as fuck!

fun! fun! fun!!!

Comment

• Taylor Norris
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dhar_2
                          yeah, i know how u feel!

every now and then i try and tidy stuff up.

ie this weekend.

problem is its time consuming and boring as fuck!

fun! fun! fun!!!
                          Should have plenty of new music to listen to while organizing..

fun! fun! fun!!!

Comment

• Steve Graham
                            DJ Jelly
                            • Jun 2004

^^^^ there in lies another problem, i start organising and coming across old or new stuff i havent heard in a while or ever before and start compiling tracks for a new mix or my next gig.. ADD anyone? lol

Comment

• lilsensa
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

Once a week...Go through your files and delete...If you haven't listened to them in a week...Delete them, you won't miss 'em...
                              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

Working...