• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chloe harris
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

worlds first touch screen decks

World's First Touch Screen Decks
    Gotta love the technophiles with tons of time on their hands...

Feast your eyes on the world’s first touch-screen decks. No, these aren’t the product of a major corporation like Vestax or Technics, they are in fact the brainchild of a student at Dundee University (Dundee, Scotland) studying innovative product design. For his final year project he’s created a touch screen turntable that lets DJ’s loop, sample and scratch wave forms just as you would a record. Someone certainly has been eating their haggis, because this is a work of genius. Most students have the same idea at the same points in their lives: “I’ll do something for my final year that I can use to get me a job”.

It usually ends up like rubbish, right?

Not Scott Hobbs. “With the TT you can see and touch the music,” Hobbs told the press.
    Hobbs: guaranteed a date now “It shows where all the beats are, which gives you complete control of the song in a mix.” Hobbs’ touch screen creations are supposed to be used in a traditional turntable configuration, with two of them connected to a mixer via a line-out. A laptop harbours the MP3 or audio tracks that are then manipulated via the touch screen decks. Hobbs even wrote the damn software: “I have plans to develop it to work with other DJ software,” he exclaimed. “The TT would make an amazing Midi controller, as well as just a standalone unit, so DJs can use them as they wish.” The ATTIGO TT is currently a working prototype, and Scott is looking for manufacturers to partner with.

Check out his creations at www.scotthobbs.co.uk and for more videos http://www.vimeo.com/961877
    pillow humping rules.
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: worlds first touch screen decks

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/the-future-of-djing1/ wow:) Cheers Hafid

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

Too bad that kid can't dj right to help promote the tables. I really doubt he was the one who came up with it.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• chloe harris
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

why would you doubt it?

(sorry it was posted)
        pillow humping rules.

Comment

• Bender420
          Tickle me Elmo!
          • Jun 2004

that's still some cool shit
          Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment

• bobjuice
            Banned
            • May 2008

Geek!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
              Not cool enough
              • Jun 2004

I doubt it because you would think if he was the one who made them that he'd be really good by now at using them.
              Jeffrey Collins: Painter
              My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
              My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                My dick is smaller
                • Nov 2006

would the end result of using say m-audio or some mp3 mixer be the same if it was uploaded to a touch-screen laptop? watching the video, it seems as though this is exactly what that is. hmm. i would hate to be mixing on that and someone threw a cd or a cigarette on it.....could be disastrous
                you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Dhar_2
                  meat and potatoes
                  • Jun 2004

sounds like a cool idea.

would be interesting to see how they work.

i hope he's patented the idea!

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Hmmm ... what's wrong with something like Final Scratch or Traktor? Those make sense since they use vinyls on decks, and DJs only have to lug their laptop, some kinda box, and 2 vinyls + spares.

Whatever the DJs are doing software-wise can all be done on a laptop anyway, the reason they have controllers is because pressing a keyboard doesn't beat the tactile feel/feedback of tweaking knobs, and I doubt if touchscreen can surpass that experience either.

I'll wait for the next version to be released as an iPhone app.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                      meat and potatoes
                      • Jun 2004

now your thinking feather!!

iphone decks. the way of the future!!!!

Comment

Working...