X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davetlv
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Knesset agree to withdraw from Gaza!

In what can only be seen as an historic vote, members of the knesset (Israeli parliament) voted 67 to 45 in favour of Ariel Sharon's plan to withdraw settlers and the IDF from the occupied Gaza strip.

• Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Knesset agree to withdraw from Gaza!

I haven't really been following that, but from what I know it was a hard struggle for Sharon to get this plan through, right?

But what exactly does it involve, what does he hope to win by that?/In what way does this bring him and the Palestinians closer to peace?
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• davetlv
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Basically it involves the following being carried by the end of 2005:-

1. Israel will withdraw all its settlers, and troops protecting them, from all of the Gaza strip. (Until a final settlement with the Palestinians it will maintain control of land borders and the ocean).

2. Israel will also evacuate 4 settlements in the West Bank.

As for what Sharon hopes to achieve, i couldn't tell you, what i can say is that a majority of the Israeli people hope it will lead to a complete pull out of territories captured during the 1967 six day war.

With regards to bringing Israel and the Palestinians closer together, personally i doubt it. As far as many factions within Palestine are concerned the move does not go far enough.

It was not hard to get passed as it had the complete support of the Labour party, (with some 23 seats in the Knesset). However, it will be interesting to see what happens in the Likud party (Sharon's party), as 17 out of 40 MK voted against the bill, as well Education Minister Limor Livnat and Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu threating to quit the govertnment unless a bill is passed to put the withdrawal plan to a national referendum within the next 14 days. It should also be noted that after the Bill had been passes Sharon fired to ministers (from his own party) who voted against the bill.

Regardless of what happens in the Likud party, this is now the Bill, which is supported by a majority of the population, assuming that opinion polls are correct.

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Thanx Dave...we'll see what happens now eh?
        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

Working...