X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kinetic
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: R.I.P. Richard Wright

I was very saddened by the death of Kurt Cobain back in 94, and I was 19 at the time, but I was even more saddened at knowing this yesterday, and I´m 33 now, so you can imagine what an impact this has had.

Pink Floyd have always been my musical foundation, there was a time when I painstakingly collected all their records, both in vinyl and in CD, and actually there was a time when I was obsessed to the point of listening to nothing else. There´s so many layers to what they´ve done, that you can say that they basically opened the doors to everything else for a lot of people, including myself.

I would aggree that they are the most influencial rock band of all time, sure that on the surface The Beatles could appear as being the ones, but in retrospect their influence is more noticeable in pop music, and they´re responsible for a fair share of crap.

People always discuss Waters and Gilmour, but it has to be said that Rick Wright played a huge part in their sound, so many songs of theirs thrived from Rick´s passages and the melodies he played on the keyboards, the solos in the Shine On tracks are monuments, and you can see influences of his landscapes in lots of prog-house music, for example, and in fact maybe many of us wouldn´t even be here at [ms] if the wasn´t for the Floyd and Wright´s work, whether all many of us acknowledge it or not.

RIP Rick, and many thanks for all the journeys you´ve given me.
    "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
    http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

^^^ well said

though Cobain leaving us was sad yet selfish

Comment

• Bender420
        Tickle me Elmo!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Misspent Youth
        And this is different from any other time how?
        b/c this time i actually made an effort.
        Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment

• i!!ustrious
          I got some N64 Games Yo!!
          • Mar 2008

golden. have a nice melody. =)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxC6kfrwBLs[/youtube]

"death is like changing clothes, or shedding a hair."
          (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• kassios
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Such a shame ...Wright was surely a big influence as much as the rest of the band.....may his soul rest in peace !
            http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• Dzone
              Platinum Poster
              • Jul 2004

For me Pink Floyd is the greatest band of all time, no one can even come close to the music those guys produced. i've lived for years lisenting to thier music and still do till today and will prop do for the rest of my life.
              It’s the saddest news I’ve heard this year and this truly effected me deeply as one of my life dreams or Goals was to see Pink Floyd on stage, but I guess this is not possible any more without Richard Wright.

RIP Richard Wright, you might be dead but your music will leave for Many Years to come.
              ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• chuckc
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

^^^yeah I lucked out and saw them back in 1994 for division bell and also caught roger waters in 2000. My dream was to see them with all the original members together but that will never happen unfortunatly.

Comment

• Bender420
                  Tickle me Elmo!
                  • Jun 2004

i know, i kinda feel like my dream died!
                  Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment

Working...