X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

It Doesn't Matter

Had a thought this morning, wanted to bounce it off you all here, and that thought is that it makes absolutely no difference whether or not McCain's bold decision to suspend his campaign and address the economic crisis ends up working in his favor. Here's why:

Let's start with the proposition that although I'm sure that McCain does legitimately and earnestly care about the economic crisis, his motive in doing this is primarily political in nature. Nothing changed between Tuesday and Wednesday (apart from his poll numbers taking another hit) that would suddenly require McCain's presence, and let's face it, neither John McCain, nor Barack Obama, nor probably any individual member of Congress, is a necessary ingredient to get this deal done. McCain did what he did because he thought it would help him show leadership and help his presidential ambitions.

With that being the case, it's yet another Hail Mary out of the McCain camp. Look at how public opinion has tracked over the course of the election, though. During the primary season, Obama was up in head to head matchups over McCain, McCain took the lead around the time of the Rev. Wright thing (I think that's about when it happened) when Obama was getting tons of negative press. Obama then steadily erased that lead.

Fast-forward to the Palin announcement, another bold move that paid off in the short term. McCain takes the lead, and Obama takes it back.

With McCain trailing in the polls again, he makes another bold political move, to suspend his campaign and postpone the debates. Let's say it works and his polling numbers go up. Think he's going to hold the lead? History would suggest that he will not.

So what does he do next time he starts to dip in the polls? Another radical, game-changing Hail Mary? Those of us that watch football know that occasionally the Hail Mary gets caught, most of the time it just gets knocked down and nothing really happens, but sometimes the pass is intercepted and the game is over. How many of these things can McCain throw before it gets picked off? If it doesn't happen this time, it's going to happen eventually, I think.
  • Lorn
    Looking for a title!
    • Sep 2004

Re: It Doesn't Matter

Good analogy imo for the bailout bill itself. Its a hail mary. The odds are it does nothing but there is a chance it might get caught.

Good one.

Comment

• CactusBeats
      Addiction started
      • Mar 2008

I like your take toasty. I already heard Obama making his case yesterday of any time to have a debate, this is it! I very much agree with him. Obama will also go back to Washington, and I think he should personally confront McCain with the press and ask him why they should stand up Ole Miss (the venue) but more importantly, the American people on airing this debate. Then Obama could raise the stakes by having a venue in DC ready for them to debate. Actually, it would still be easier to do it at Ole Miss anyway. They all have their own jet planes. Isn't that what they are for??

McCain could be shooting himself in the foot with this too. Isn't there only one other scheduled debate for them? If McCain flubs that one just before the election, then he has no other forum on which to potentially show he "beat" Obama.

Obama needs to highlight McCain's willingness to duck the important questions and the forum allowed by the debate. I don't think the American people will buy this act of desperation by McCain. People really want and need to see this debate.
      I like your Christ.
      I do not like your Christians.
      Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by CactusBeats
        Isn't there only one other scheduled debate for them?
        There are actually 2 others scheduled, plus the VP debate.

Comment

Working...