X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dtgunslinger
    Addiction started
    • Nov 2004

Where is this music progressing?

Ok, so I am not the most dedicated listener, I leave, come back hoping to feel that rush I first had finding a local college station that was doing some, house, techno, Trance, Trip-Hop, electronic, industrial stuff and was total rolling with it.
    I soon started calling to find out more about what they were playing and some how some way discovered GU013 Ibiza. Whoa! I was hooked and whom else did this fine label have to offer damn John Digweed, Danny Tenaglia (come on now GU010 Athens was dark and sexy, Miss Kitten-Frank Sinatra), Dave Seaman, Hernan Catteneo, Tony DeVit, Nick Warren, etc. An open velvety music absorbing you and made you feel something deep, rhythmic. Damn good stuff is what I am trying to say. Lately though I am not seeing the direction.
    Don't get me wrong, I love to listen to it, the newer Danny is ok, the Steve Lawler Viva Toronto has moments but I am just not feeling that same primal beat that moved my soul, made me think about the mood the DJ is mixing, where it starts and where it leads you through doors and canyons. Delta Heavy Tour, Live at the Crobar, my only two shows, shame, shame, especially now that I am in NYC. There is more ground breaking going on then I am aware.
    So, my constant reader, those who are wondering if I am serious, guide me, point to someone on the edge, pushing to the next step. I will listen and appreciate the feedback. Thanks for the reply.
    Not living my life to see if I get into heaven or hell, just how long I'll have to spend in purgatory.
  • hambino21
    PFC Semen Ham
    • Jul 2004

Re: Where is this music progressing?

I hear ya. Just like the rest of the music Genre's out there, the easier the average non musically inclined people can get their hands on production software etc, the more trash you have to sift through. There is still some awesome stuff being produced but you really have to look. As for Sets, by well known DJ's; they too leave a little to be desired any more, but I am not quite sure what to accredit this too really. I like to give not so wellknow Dj's a chance also, but I am not totally impressed like I was a few years ago. everytime one sees the light of day, they are dubbed "the next biggest, or the saviour of etc," but I don't hear it. And the direction things have taken so far isn't really my taste, with all of the minimal and the melodyless techno, but thats just me . I just look for stuff that is my taste,(which takes time), and spin that, while throwing in some older classics. You gott ado what you gotta do.
    " Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"

- Me-

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Is it that time again for the forum?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Oct 2005

"(come on now GU010 Athens was dark and sexy, Miss Kitten-Frank Sinatra)"

Its all bout red light district

Comment

• hypoluxxa
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
          Maybe. I love what Diggers is playing again, so that's all that matters to me.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

I stopped fretting over the music and quit reminiscing about the old stuff or bitch about the new stuff. It's just music. If it's good, great. If it's boring, into the bin it goes. There's always more music out there. (And I'd never have said this back in the day when I was leeching music on a 36.6k modem!)

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Miroslav
              WHOA I can change this!1!
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by feather
              Yes it is!!!

All together now! Say it with me:

"The music these days, it sucks. Not like back in MY DAY when I first got into the scene. I heard those beats on Warren's Renaissance 1 back in 1972, man those loose hi hats, full snares, and predictable trancy melodies really hit the spot. Nowadays, it's all just blippy nonsense! The music is going STRAIGHT TO HELL, DAMMIT"

There. I just saved us about twenty posts in this thread.
              mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Oct 2005

hey Miroslav just wondering, i was browsing beatport today and saw a Miroslav chart. is that you?

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                  Yes it is!!!

All together now! Say it with me:

"The music these days, it sucks. Not like back in MY DAY when I first got into the scene. I heard those beats on Warren's Renaissance 1 back in 1972, man those loose hi hats, full snares, and predictable trancy melodies really hit the spot. Nowadays, it's all just blippy nonsense! The music is going STRAIGHT TO HELL, DAMMIT"

There. I just saved us about twenty posts in this thread.
                  You jaded?

Comment

• Dhar_2
                    meat and potatoes
                    • Jun 2004

NE rules!

if i could live the first moment i heard it over and over again, i'd die a happy man!

period!!!

nothing new can do that!!

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

Can I just say I HATE MINIMAL!!!

Actually I'm feeling really happy about music at the moment!! But I'm not going out much!!
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Kinetic
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Well, this is a tired old discussion, but for the record Iīll say that Iīve actually been finding a lot of great stuff out there which is more melodic and proggy, I really think weīre seeing a moment where melody and groove are making a comeback, and itīs no wonder that for me Diggers and Sasha are in their finest form since the beginning of the decade, IMO.

I donīt dislike minimal, but I do dislike the fact that itīs given a lot of talentless people an excuse to put out music.

BTW, if you donīt know about him, can I just recommend Marcel Dettmann? Check him out for some awesome minimal/techno done right.
                        "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                        http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• Shiva
                          MCast Mistress
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by dtgunslinger
                          So, my constant reader, those who are wondering if I am serious, guide me, point to someone on the edge, pushing to the next step. I will listen and appreciate the feedback. Thanks for the reply.
                          > http://www.mcast.mercuryserver.com/?cat=32

P R O G R E S S I V E (house)...and ONLY!!!

Comment

• Dhar_2
                            meat and potatoes
                            • Jun 2004

i want deep trance back!

Comment

• AndyH
                              Platinum Poster
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by hypoluxxa
                              Maybe. I love what Diggers is playing again, so that's all that matters to me.
                              This
                              [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

Working...