X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • day_for_night
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Financial Crisis 101

I know we have a couple of threads running on the issue, and this is a repost, but given all thats happened over the last couple of weeks, i thought this would be a good one to revisit. download and watch to get a layman's version of what went wrong with the subprime mess...

What it boils down to now is:

- banks who owned these mortgages dont receive payments on them. they write down their balance sheets and take huge losses. at the same time they are not able to meet their debts they owe to other banks. there is huge amounts of lending between banks to meet cash requirements, or put to use 'excess' cash. some banks fail.

- banks also lend money to companies for them to cover short term cash needs. the optimal state of a business is to have all its cash tied up in investments so its not just sitting in a bank account losing its value due to inflation. thats where the commercial paper markets come in...short term lending to companies with good credit ratings.

- since the banks are getting squeezed, they stop lending to other banks, as well as companies via the commercial paper market. thats where this starts to get really nasty, and why the injection from the government is necessary, unfortunately. if the banks really do stop lending completely...companies can't pay their bills, and the economy goes in the toilet in a hurry. this is a domino effect, and a frightening prospect.

hope that made some sense. i probably oversimplified a bit, and feel free to add stuff i missed, but wanted to add my .02 of a dollar on this whole fiasco.
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Financial Crisis 101

Hyperinflation here we come!!:lol: http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Rescue_plan_seeks_700B_to_buy_0920.html

start where i do the countdown. its all there. all the facts we can think of, and various opinions from about 10 different angles. i expressed facts and no opinion untli asked.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• thesightless
      • Jun 2004

btw, the private quity groups are saving our asses today for now at least, all these buys are coming from private groups, asia (WHICH IS TERRIBLE) and european sources.

Comment

• day_for_night
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

yep, i see you're now working in PE. congrats man, great industry to be in...one of the fields i'd like to be working in 3-5 years from now. (either that or hedge fund). want to skip the banking hours all together...

Comment

• thesightless
          • Jun 2004

dont get into hedge funds. i interviewed with a few groups. 60 work week, stress, and frankly, are about to have the regulation hammer dropped on them.

privateis great, as we only play conservativly on the market, most of our gamble is in buying exzisting companies and breaking em up, and the bonds market.

we have some guys who came from stocks, and we permit very few risky investments. look for cash on the balance sheets, hard assests like machinery etc...

Comment

• day_for_night
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

^
            |
            60 hrs aint bad for the kind of money they make. and compared to investment banking, those hours are good! as far as the regulation...depends what strategy you're talking. a long-short strategy to go after alpha is not a 'risky' strategy, but if done correctly and based on good research, can net some great profits. the ones using 30x leverage to do shady things...yes they're about to have a flashlight shined on them.

Comment

• thesightless
              • Jun 2004

thats us. use the money to beat em down. get in our way, we will buy out the ground you are standing on. b4 i arrived, i heard a story where they wanted a business, got resistance, so they bought the building the company was in, and left all the storefronts vacant. after a year, they got the business.

Comment

Working...