I just learnt why exactly satellites stay in orbit....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

I just learnt why exactly satellites stay in orbit....

.....the booster is just powerful enough to carry it to the "edge" of space. The earth continues to spin away from the rocket as it climbs and so the gravity of earth (even though its getting weaker) keeps pulling the satellite back towards earth but the vacuum of space (now that the satellite has reached a certain altitude) keeps the inertia from the initial propulsion of the rocket, continuously pushing it forward......at this stage, you have 2 opposing forces nearly canceling each other out thereby creating a low-level artificial satellite. Fascinating init? Esp considering they figured this by Newton and achieved in the mid 50's.

The speed to capture this phenomenon as calculated by Newton = 17,000 Miles/Hr.

BRILLIANT
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • heretic
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Re: I just learnt why exactly satellites stay in orbit....

well, how did you think it worked before? Theres also multiple satellite orbits that can be achieved
    I was in coma.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

But they're on a long descent back to Earth aren't they?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• CactusBeats
        Addiction started
        • Mar 2008

I totally love this kind of stuff. Well, physics really. Some of it is so simple, yet mind-blowing. Am reading a book by Bill Bryson right now called "A Short History of Nearly Everything." It makes science & physics actually interesting. It tells the stories from a different perspective. Also check out books by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Guy is an astrophysicist. Some call him the next Carl Sagan. He makes this stuff understandable to some degree also.

When you throw a baseball, it is in orbit for a little bit too. Just that the earth catches up to it.
        I like your Christ.
        I do not like your Christians.
        Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• heretic
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

I was in coma.

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

I just learned that "learnt" is actually a word. It's chiefly British past and past participle of learn. All this time I just thought it was the hick dumb-ass way of saying "learned." I was about to break off some grammar police, and i dun got learned on.

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

Originally posted by heretic
              well, how did you think it worked before? Theres also multiple satellite orbits that can be achieved
              you MUST be as drunk as me

Originally posted by feather
              But they're on a long descent back to Earth aren't they?
              no they aren't on a descent, as long as they have solar battery pack on to keep a minimal amount of thrust going, they will stay in orbit before they come crashing back to earth.
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

Originally posted by Jenks
                I just learned that "learnt" is actually a word. It's chiefly British past and past participle of learn. All this time I just thought it was the hick dumb-ass way of saying "learned." I was about to break off some grammar police, and i dun got learned on.
                dont make me come to the midwest and beat you
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Garrick
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                  BRILLIANT

not as brilliant as guinness!
                  Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Jenks
                    I'm kind of a big deal.
                    • Jun 2004

dont make me come to the midwest and beat you
                    Bring it son!!

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Do you guys learn it as 'learned' in the US? I've always known it as 'learnt' (but 'learned' is an adjective), like the past tense of 'smell' is 'smelt' but I've been seeing 'learned' and 'smelled' over the years. I thought I was losing my mind. Well I'm probably am that too.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                        meat and potatoes
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by heretic

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

Bring it son!!
                          ok I'm gonna get a bottle of redwood creek too so be prepared, I'll get drunk and you can cook with it
                          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Steve Graham
                            DJ Jelly
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
                            Do you guys learn it as 'learned' in the US? I've always known it as 'learnt' (but 'learned' is an adjective), like the past tense of 'smell' is 'smelt' but I've been seeing 'learned' and 'smelled' over the years. I thought I was losing my mind. Well I'm probably am that too.

Comment

• AndyH
                              Platinum Poster
                              • May 2005

.....the booster is just powerful enough to carry it to the "edge" of space. The earth continues to spin away from the rocket as it climbs and so the gravity of earth (even though its getting weaker) keeps pulling the satellite back towards earth but the vacuum of space (now that the satellite has reached a certain altitude) keeps the inertia from the initial propulsion of the rocket, continuously pushing it forward......at this stage, you have 2 opposing forces nearly canceling each other out thereby creating a low-level artificial satellite. Fascinating init? Esp considering they figured this by Newton and achieved in the mid 50's.

The speed to capture this phenomenon as calculated by Newton = 17,000 Miles/Hr.

BRILLIANT
                              What I always find amazing about this sort of stuff it who the f**k thought of this stuff in the first placebefore we made it happen? Its fairly out there... lol
                              [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

Working...