• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

OMFG Nerdgastic Library

From Wired:

From King James to James Bond, Chaucer to Sputnik, a personal library like no other.
    Photo: Andrew Moore

Inspiration Point Walker frequently meets with the Walker Digital brain trust in the seating area of the library, hoping to draw inspiration from the surroundings. Artist Clyde Lynds (known for integrating fiber optics into his work) created the intricate illuminated glass panels and many other visual elements. Walker himself designed the Escher-like tile floor, modeled after a tumbling block pattern from the Victorian age. He bought the chandelier (seen in the Bond film Die Another Day) at an auction and rewired it with 6,000 LEDs. The open book on the table features watercolor illustrations for an 18th-century papal palace that was never built. The globe has special meaning for Walker: "It was a wedding gift Eileen and I received in 1982."

Reading Room In the foreground are several early-20th-century volumes with jeweled bindings—gold, rubies, and diamonds—crafted by the legendary firm Sangorski & Sutcliffe. On the table (first row, from left) is a 16th-century book of jousting, a Dickens novel decorated with the author's portrait, and (open, with Post-it flags) an original copy of the 1493 Nuremberg Chronicle, the first illustrated history book. Second row: the 1535 Coverdale Bible (the first completely translated into modern English), a medieval tome with intricate illustrations of dwarfs, a collection of portraits commissioned at a 17th-century German festival ("Facebook in 1610!"), a tree-bark Indonesian guide to cannibalism, and a Middle Eastern mother goddess icon from around 5000 BC.

Walker shuns the sort of bibliomania that covets first editions for their own sake—many of the volumes that decorate the library's walls are leather-bound Franklin Press reprints. What gets him excited are things that changed the way people think, like Robert Hooke's Micrographia. Published in 1665, it was the first book to contain illustrations made possible by the microscope. He's also drawn to objects that embody a revelatory (or just plain weird) train of thought. "I get offered things that collectors don't," he says. "Nobody else would want a book on dwarfs, with pages beautifully hand-painted in silver and gold, but for me that makes perfect sense."
    What excites him even more is using his treasures to make mind-expanding connections. He loves juxtapositions, like placing a 16th-century map that combines experience and guesswork—"the first one showing North and South America," he says—next to a modern map carried by astronauts to the moon. "If this is what can happen in 500 years, nothing is impossible."

Gadget Lab A brand-new One Laptop per Child XO, far left, sits next to a relatively ancient RadioShack TRS-80 Model 100. In back, a 1911 typewriting machine and a 1909 Kent radio. The large contraption at center is the Nazis' supposedly unbreakable Enigma code machine. The book to its left is a copy of Johannes Trithemius' 1518 Polygraphiae, a cryptographic landmark. On the right is an Apple II motherboard signed by Woz. An Edison kinetoscope sits beside an 1890 Edison phonograph (along with three of the wax cylinders it uses for recording). Nearby is a faithful copy of Edison's lightbulb. The gadget with the tubes is an IBM processor circa 1960. In front of it stands a truly ancient storage device, a Sumerian clay cone used to record surplus grain.

Walker struggles to balance privacy with his impulse to share his finds with the outside world. Schoolchildren often visit by invitation, as do executives, politicians, and scholars. Last February, the organizers of the TED conference persuaded him to decorate their stage with some of his treasures. But he's never invited any press in to see the collection—until now

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • 88Mariner
    My dick is smaller
    • Nov 2006

Re: OMFG Nerdgastic Library

i would spend a few hundred just to stay a weekend there. beautiful. inspiring, even just looking at the pictures.
    you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was the first thing that came to mind

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

^^hah! i was about to say the exact same thing.

that library is freaking amazing

Comment

• Dhar_2
          meat and potatoes
          • Jun 2004

GEEK ALERT!!!

Comment

• Kat
            A pretty fn good milkshake
            • Mar 2006

wow beautiful
            i want one just like that!
            ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• Lorn
              Looking for a title!
              • Sep 2004

Way cool!

Comment

• chanty
                John, John, where art thou!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Katkich
                wow beautiful
                i want one just like that!
                Hey girl...haven't seen you around these parts in a while! How's it going?
                That is an awesome library! Just beautiful....I'd like to hang out there.
                Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Funky Dredd
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                  i would spend a few hundred just to stay a weekend there. beautiful. inspiring, even just looking at the pictures.
                  I couldn't say it any better than that!
                  Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• lilsensa
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

That place looks awesome! I'd study there.
                    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Kat
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by chanty
                      Hey girl...haven't seen you around these parts in a while! How's it going?
                      hey chanty
                      i'm great since i have retired from work, i now have lots of time to read and study things that really interest me, i tink i've read about 20 books last month but i have missed reading some good old yak yak

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        I'm merely a humble butler
                        • Dec 2005

Obv you would never have something like this in a place where there are seasonal fires like southern california!

good find.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• thesightless
                          Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                          • Jun 2004

retired at 35? can you forward me citizenship papers and find me some real estate over there>??
                          your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                          download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                            I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                            • Mar 2008

infuckingcredible.

though i would still have rather chilled in the great library of alexandria, if that arcane mothaload of profundity wasn't destroyed by ignoramus nubs.
                            (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Kat
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by thesightless
                              retired at 35? can you forward me citizenship papers and find me some real estate over there>??
                              its not the country that made it possible believe me

Comment

Working...