8th grade english lit textbook has an excerpt from obama?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shosh
    Banned
    • Jun 2004

8th grade english lit textbook has an excerpt from obama?

it's an english literature textbook and they have a 15 page excerpt from obama (dreams of his father) accompanied by a pic from him at the 2004 dnc.
    seriously, what merits does he have that he should be included in his book. not saying its his fault but it is someones propaganda...

• MJDub
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: 8th grade english lit textbook has an excerpt from obama?

...wait, are you serious?

It's no question that Obama has exceptional oratory skills, which means he has full command of the English language. This includes skillfully using literary devices (imagery, alliteration, etc.) and a vast vocabulary to paint a picture and get his point across.

I've had multiple English books with excerpts from Martin Luther King (which is arguably propaganda just as much), so where's your outrage over that?

Put your ridiculous fear of everybody being commie bastards (or whatever the fuck) aside for a minute, and acknowledge that an educated guy deserves to be an example of how to speak/write. There's nothing nefarious going on.

btw, link is down.
    http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MJDub
      I've had multiple English books with excerpts from Martin Luther King (which is arguably propaganda just as much), so where's your outrage over that?
      Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

• shosh
        Banned
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MJDub
        ...wait, are you serious?

It's no question that Obama has exceptional oratory skills, which means he has full command of the English language. This includes skillfully using literary devices (imagery, alliteration, etc.) and a vast vocabulary to paint a picture and get his point across.

Put your ridiculous fear of everybody being commie bastards (or whatever the fuck) aside for a minute, and acknowledge that an educated guy deserves to be an example of how to speak/write. There's nothing nefarious going on.

btw, link is down.
        i didnt deny that he can write and talk, i was just discussing his merits to be featured in an english literature book.

and please dont compare him to mlk.

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

why are you asking us? Why not ask the author of the book?

I don't know how his speech fits into 'english literature', but whatev. I'm not buying it.
          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

Working...