X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minimal
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2006

Who the hell is François K?

I bought a 3 CD studio mix called Masterpiece. This compilation is actually very good, some tracks that Ive heard for the first time...
    Has anyone ever go to a François K gig? Whats up with him? His live sets I could only find for sale... some free over at myspace but I dont feel like registering to that site
    music is the answer

http://soundcloud.com/sh-oe
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Re: Who the hell is François K?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Kevorkian

François Kevorkian, alias François K, (born January 10, 1954) is a French DJ, remixer, producer and record label owner of Armenian descent living in the US. Having started his career in renowned clubs such as the Paradise Garage and Studio 54, the NYC-resident is widely considered as one of the forefathers of house music.

To this day, many people (especially in the UK) insist on mistakenly spelling his last name as 'Kervorkian', which can be traced to an erroneous credit on the Violator album he mixed for the group Depeche Mode.

4 x hour set http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LN4IZVBF

Also has done guest mixes for Digweed.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

hes a bit legendary for his sets - being able to mix all kinds of styles together over marathon sessions.
      I do think he is a masterful DJ - but the few sets Ive heard have never really done it for me - somehow lack passion.

I thought he released a commercial 'essential mix cd'??

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• minimal
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2006

thanks for linking up the set.
        music is the answer

Comment

• minimal
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles

I thought he released a commercial 'essential mix cd'??
          This is how I got to know him (check out the TL):

Went out to buy new stuff I haven't heard, also came across an album produced by A Guy Called Gerald which is not my cup of tea but its definetely worth a listen.
          music is the answer

Comment

• BureOne
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

He's the shit. Sets are massive and spand all kinds of genres, eventually leading into so deep house tech shit.

He's a great producer as well.

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
              Editor Shmeditor
              • Nov 2006

hes a bit legendary for his sets - being able to mix all kinds of styles together over marathon sessions.
              I do think he is a masterful DJ - but the few sets Ive heard have never really done it for me - somehow lack passion.
              Definately. Techincally amazing but because it's completely done on a computer it all feels slightly lacklustre.
              Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

this is the cd I mentioned (I just didnt see it in his discogs bit)

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• lilsensa
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Legend.
                  RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• minimal
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2006

this is the cd I mentioned (I just didnt see it in his discogs bit)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Mi...255463&sr=8-10
                    Huggie, I need only to see the cover and I want to go out hunt for it.
                    This dude turned out to be a hell of a surprise.
                    music is the answer

Comment

• chunky
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • Jan 2006

I posted an old mix of his from BackToBasics a while back

Francois K - Johnny Vicious BOXED96 @ BackToBasics The Dogs Bollocks

Francois K
                      MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
                      Johnny Vicious

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
                      Originally posted by res0nat0r
                      OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• simonr
                        Transitionator
                        • Jun 2004

wow ... he's got everything from James Brown to George Benson to Billy Cobham to Kraftwerk to De La Soul on there.

It's either amazingly clever ... or a complete carcrash !!
                        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by minimal
                          I bought a 3 CD studio mix called Masterpiece. This compilation is actually very good, some tracks that Ive heard for the first time...
                          Has anyone ever go to a François K gig? Whats up with him? His live sets I could only find for sale... some free over at myspace but I dont feel like registering to that site

I thought you were kidding... He's a legend ( I think someone already said that here). He's been around for a long time. He absolutely DESTROYED Space last summer, he played with Carl Cox.

Compilations
                          • 'Various - Masterpiece: Created By Francois K' (Ministry Of Sound) 2008
                          • 'Frequencies' - 2 x CD - (Wavetec) 2006
                          • 'Deep Space NYC (vol. 1)' (Deep Space Media/Wave Music) 2005
                          • 'Live At Sonar' (SonarMusic) 2003
                          • 'Body&SOUL NYC (vol. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) (Wave Music) 1998-2007
                          • 'Deep & Sexy (vol.1)' (Wave Music) 2001
                          • 'Choice: A Collection of Classics' (Azuli) 2002
                          • 'Essential Mix - François K' (London/Ffrr) 2000
                          Video Game DJ Mix
                          As a producer
                          • 'Snake Charmer' Jah Wobble, The Edge, Holger Czukay and Jaki Leibezeit (Island Records) 1983
                          • "May The Cube Be With You" Dolby's Cube 1985
                          • 'Species Deceases' Midnight Oil (Columbia Records) 1985
                          • 'We're On The Move' Jamaica Girls (Sire) 1985
                          • "Strong Enough" Loleatta Holloway (Active Records) 1992 co-produced with Yvone Turner and Alan Friedman
                          • "Got To Be In Love" Barbara Mendes (Wave Music) 2003 co-produced with Eric Kupper
                          • "Rootsman" U-Roy (Deep Space Media) 2005 co-produced with Russ Disciple
                          As a mix producer
                          • 'Electric Café' Kraftwerk (EMI/Warner Bros.) 1986
                          • 'Violator' Depeche Mode (Mute) 1990
                          • 'Erasure' Erasure (Mute) 1995
                          • 'Blondosaurus' Rebecca (Sony Japan) 1989
                          As a remixer
                          • "In The Bush" Musique (Prelude) 1978
                          • "I Hear Music In The Streets" Unlimited Touch (Prelude) 1980
                          • "You're The One For Me" / "Keep On" / "Music" / "Walk On By" / "Misunderstanding" D-Train (Prelude) 1981-1983
                          • "Beat The Street" / "Never Give You Up" / "Send Your Love" / "Can You Handle It" Sharon Redd 1982-1983
                          • "Body Music" The Strikers (Prelude) 1981 co-mixed with Larry Levan
                          • "Let's Go Dancin'" Sparque (West End) 1981
                          • "Situation" Yazoo (Mute) 1981
                          • "Go Bang" Dinosaur L (Sleeping Bag) 1981
                          • "Two Hearts Beat As One" / "New Year's Day" U2 (Island) 1983
                          • "This Charming Man" The Smiths (Rough Trade) 1983
                          • "Tour De France" Kraftwerk (EMI - Warner Bros.) 1984
                          • "Lucky In Love" / "Just Another Night" Mick Jagger (Columbia) 1984
                          • "Blue Light (12" Mix)" David Gilmour 1984
                          • "Solid (As A Rock)" Ashford & Simpson (Capitol) 1984
                          • "Sleepless" King Crimson 1984
                          • "Zoolookologie" Jean Michel Jarre (Disques Dreyfus France) 1985
                          • "Perfect Way" Scritti Politti UK 12" Single ((Version)) (Virgin) 1985
                          • "Why Can't I Be You" / "Japanese Dream" / "Hot, Hot, Hot" The Cure (Fiction-Elektra) 1985-1990
                          • "The Telephone Call" Kraftwerk (EMI/Warner Bros.) 1987 co-mixed with Kraftwerk and Ron St. Germain
                          • "Don't You Want Me" Jody Watley (MCA) 1987
                          • "Rent" Pet Shop Boys (Parlophone/EMI) 1987
                          • "My Bag" dancing mix Lloyd Cole and the Commotions (single b-side, Polydor) 1987
                          • "Personal Jesus" / "Enjoy the Silence" / "Policy of Truth" / "World in My Eyes" Depeche Mode (Mute / Sire / Reprise) 1990
                          • "Radioactivity" Kraftwerk (EMI/Elektra) 1991
                          • "Higher Love" Depeche Mode (Mute/Sire/Reprise) 1994 co-mixed with Goh Hotoda
                          • "Get Another Plan" Abstract Truth (Wave Music) 1996
                          • "Tout est bleu" Ame Strong (Delabel) 1997
                          • "Sangue De Beirona" Cesaria Evora (Lusafrica / Wave) 1999
                          • "Expo Remix" Kraftwerk (EMI) 2000 co-mixed with Rob Rives
                          • "Hunter" Dido (Arista) 2001
                          • "Swollen" Bent (Ministry Of Sound) 2001
                          • "Josephine" Chris Rea (Warner Bros.) 2001 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                          • “La La Land” Green Velvet (Music Man) 2002 co-mixed with Rob Rives
                          • “Community” Audio Soul Project (NRK) 2002 co-mixed with Rob Rives
                          • "Forever More" Moloko (Echo) 2003 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                          • "Walking on Thin Ice" Yoko Ono (Twisted) 2003 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                          • “Aborigine’s Jam” Cirque du Soleil (Cirque du Soleil) 2003 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                          • “Aero Dynamik” Kraftwerk (EMI - Astralwerks) 2004
                          • “Welcome Dub” Herbest Moon (Soundscape) 2004
                          • “Disco Infiltrator” LCD Soundsystem (EMI UK) 2005
                          • Ride a White HorseGoldfrapp (Mute) 2005 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                          • TalkColdplay (EMI UK) 2005
                          • "Here Comes the Sun" Nina Simone (Columbia) 2006
                          As an editor
                          • "Happy Song" (bootleg) Rare Earth (labelled as: "Happy Song And Dance")
                          • "Is It All Over My Face" Loose Joints (West End Records) with Larry Levan --uncredited on label--

Comment

• AndyH
                            Platinum Poster
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by hypoluxxa
                            I thought you were kidding... He's a legend ( I think someone already said that here). He's been around for a long time. He absolutely DESTROYED Space last summer, he played with Carl Cox.

Compilations
                            • 'Various - Masterpiece: Created By Francois K' (Ministry Of Sound) 2008
                            • 'Frequencies' - 2 x CD - (Wavetec) 2006
                            • 'Deep Space NYC (vol. 1)' (Deep Space Media/Wave Music) 2005
                            • 'Live At Sonar' (SonarMusic) 2003
                            • 'Body&SOUL NYC (vol. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) (Wave Music) 1998-2007
                            • 'Deep & Sexy (vol.1)' (Wave Music) 2001
                            • 'Choice: A Collection of Classics' (Azuli) 2002
                            • 'Essential Mix - François K' (London/Ffrr) 2000
                            Video Game DJ Mix
                            As a producer
                            • 'Snake Charmer' Jah Wobble, The Edge, Holger Czukay and Jaki Leibezeit (Island Records) 1983
                            • "May The Cube Be With You" Dolby's Cube 1985
                            • 'Species Deceases' Midnight Oil (Columbia Records) 1985
                            • 'We're On The Move' Jamaica Girls (Sire) 1985
                            • "Strong Enough" Loleatta Holloway (Active Records) 1992 co-produced with Yvone Turner and Alan Friedman
                            • "Got To Be In Love" Barbara Mendes (Wave Music) 2003 co-produced with Eric Kupper
                            • "Rootsman" U-Roy (Deep Space Media) 2005 co-produced with Russ Disciple
                            As a mix producer
                            • 'Electric Café' Kraftwerk (EMI/Warner Bros.) 1986
                            • 'Violator' Depeche Mode (Mute) 1990
                            • 'Erasure' Erasure (Mute) 1995
                            • 'Blondosaurus' Rebecca (Sony Japan) 1989
                            As a remixer
                            • "In The Bush" Musique (Prelude) 1978
                            • "I Hear Music In The Streets" Unlimited Touch (Prelude) 1980
                            • "You're The One For Me" / "Keep On" / "Music" / "Walk On By" / "Misunderstanding" D-Train (Prelude) 1981-1983
                            • "Beat The Street" / "Never Give You Up" / "Send Your Love" / "Can You Handle It" Sharon Redd 1982-1983
                            • "Body Music" The Strikers (Prelude) 1981 co-mixed with Larry Levan
                            • "Let's Go Dancin'" Sparque (West End) 1981
                            • "Situation" Yazoo (Mute) 1981
                            • "Go Bang" Dinosaur L (Sleeping Bag) 1981
                            • "Two Hearts Beat As One" / "New Year's Day" U2 (Island) 1983
                            • "This Charming Man" The Smiths (Rough Trade) 1983
                            • "Tour De France" Kraftwerk (EMI - Warner Bros.) 1984
                            • "Lucky In Love" / "Just Another Night" Mick Jagger (Columbia) 1984
                            • "Blue Light (12" Mix)" David Gilmour 1984
                            • "Solid (As A Rock)" Ashford & Simpson (Capitol) 1984
                            • "Sleepless" King Crimson 1984
                            • "Zoolookologie" Jean Michel Jarre (Disques Dreyfus France) 1985
                            • "Perfect Way" Scritti Politti UK 12" Single ((Version)) (Virgin) 1985
                            • "Why Can't I Be You" / "Japanese Dream" / "Hot, Hot, Hot" The Cure (Fiction-Elektra) 1985-1990
                            • "The Telephone Call" Kraftwerk (EMI/Warner Bros.) 1987 co-mixed with Kraftwerk and Ron St. Germain
                            • "Don't You Want Me" Jody Watley (MCA) 1987
                            • "Rent" Pet Shop Boys (Parlophone/EMI) 1987
                            • "My Bag" dancing mix Lloyd Cole and the Commotions (single b-side, Polydor) 1987
                            • "Personal Jesus" / "Enjoy the Silence" / "Policy of Truth" / "World in My Eyes" Depeche Mode (Mute / Sire / Reprise) 1990
                            • "Radioactivity" Kraftwerk (EMI/Elektra) 1991
                            • "Higher Love" Depeche Mode (Mute/Sire/Reprise) 1994 co-mixed with Goh Hotoda
                            • "Get Another Plan" Abstract Truth (Wave Music) 1996
                            • "Tout est bleu" Ame Strong (Delabel) 1997
                            • "Sangue De Beirona" Cesaria Evora (Lusafrica / Wave) 1999
                            • "Expo Remix" Kraftwerk (EMI) 2000 co-mixed with Rob Rives
                            • "Hunter" Dido (Arista) 2001
                            • "Swollen" Bent (Ministry Of Sound) 2001
                            • "Josephine" Chris Rea (Warner Bros.) 2001 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                            • “La La Land” Green Velvet (Music Man) 2002 co-mixed with Rob Rives
                            • “Community” Audio Soul Project (NRK) 2002 co-mixed with Rob Rives
                            • "Forever More" Moloko (Echo) 2003 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                            • "Walking on Thin Ice" Yoko Ono (Twisted) 2003 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                            • “Aborigine’s Jam” Cirque du Soleil (Cirque du Soleil) 2003 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                            • “Aero Dynamik” Kraftwerk (EMI - Astralwerks) 2004
                            • “Welcome Dub” Herbest Moon (Soundscape) 2004
                            • “Disco Infiltrator” LCD Soundsystem (EMI UK) 2005
                            • Ride a White HorseGoldfrapp (Mute) 2005 co-mixed with Eric Kupper
                            • TalkColdplay (EMI UK) 2005
                            • "Here Comes the Sun" Nina Simone (Columbia) 2006
                            As an editor
                            • "Happy Song" (bootleg) Rare Earth (labelled as: "Happy Song And Dance")
                            • "Is It All Over My Face" Loose Joints (West End Records) with Larry Levan --uncredited on label--
                            Bloody amateur wannabe
                            [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
                              Editor Shmeditor
                              • Nov 2006

^ Yeah, can someone actually post some useful information ffs
                              Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7

Comment

Working...