X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Biryani Perfection

So I've been trying to hone my cooking skills into making the perfect chicken biryani - i.e. tender spiced curried chicken and fragrant fluffy basmati rice, with fried onion, roasted cashew and herb garnish.

Came across these recipes, for an authentic plate of nosh:

Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvQ7T01tLo[/YOUTUBE]

Packhi Chicken Biryani

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0e2CRwfPdE4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Definately worth a try !
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Biryani Perfection

The Hyderabadi one looks tasty as a mofo.
    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

thanks, I'm starving now

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

mmmmm spicy hyderabadi biryani + chilled grolsch...... now I'm hungry. It's a pain in the ass to make tho and takes really long.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        Originally posted by ace_dl
        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Dhar_2
          meat and potatoes
          • Jun 2004

isnt that your cousin fez!?

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
            Anyone have Styx livesets?
            • Jun 2004

is it really called Paki Chicken?? surely not!

mmm.. want some nan and curries now!
            ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

me too mate, there is a new spot that just opened near me, but its called "Curriez", so I am a bit leary of going in, seems to be a bit of a chain

Comment

• simonr
                Transitionator
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Fez Up
                mmmmm spicy hyderabadi biryani + chilled grolsch...... now I'm hungry. It's a pain in the ass to make tho and takes really long.
                It's actually quite easy .... if you prep the chicken and marinade it the day before all you need to do is soak the rice for a bit, boil it for 5 mins and then put the chicken in the pot, rice on top & cook for 30 mins.

Fried onions & roasted cashews can be done at your leasure - have a few grolsh's and put on a Northern Exposure CD while you slave over the hot stove !
                sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Originally posted by simonr
                  have a few grolsh's and put on a Northern Exposure CD while you slave over the hot stove !
                  blissful bachelor days.....
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

lmfao that dude in the second video is such a moron

huggie he's talking about Kachi and Pakki Biryani (it's spelled differently on the video though but that just lost in translation). The word Kachi means raw and Pakki means ripe and I'm sure he's not trying to feed you raw chicken, its probably just in the way its made
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• simonr
                      Transitionator
                      • Jun 2004

Are you sure he doesn't mean "in the Pakistani style" ... although his title could cause offence.

Types Of Biryani: Just like there are a million of meatball recipes biryani also has several forms made by diffrent cultures and different countries.

The dish enjoys a lot of popularity in mainly north India and Pakistan. Especially in Karachi where the Beef version of this dish preferred. As far as India is concerned chicken and mutton is preferred. In lucknow, biryani is almost synonmous to the name of the city(Lucknowi biryani). Although biryani originated in the north it eventually reached the south picking up several beautiful flavours on the way. The most famous biryani during the Moghul rule was off course Moghulai biryani. But as it reached the south this biryani lost its fame as a new biryani came into existence this was nun other than the famous Hyderabadi Biryani.
                      This biryani quickly became an important part of Indian cuisine as it was savored by all parts of India. The Nizam's kitchen bosted of several uncommon biryanis like quail,deer,rabit,shrimp,etc. all prepared in Hyderabadi style. Sindh biryani is also very popular in Pakistan. Another common form of biryani is Awadhi Biryani. In Kerala a totally different style of biryani is prepared commonly known as Malabar biryani.
                      sigpicSimonR

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

There's so many types of Indian/Mughlai foods that there may well be a "Paki" chicken but I've never heard of it to date and I wouldn't bet on it. Moreover, in the way he's pronouncing it i.e. the pronunciation of the "A" isn't like the one how you'd say "barn" but more like being you'd say the "U" in the word putt. Its flattened out, which makes me believe he's referring to the word I mentioned above. He also goes back and refers to the "Kachi" Biryani which, the word "Kachi" is opposite of the word "Pakki" (as in ripe).

And yes as you have pasted above, a LOT of the Indian foods have become popular based on the regions they are made because of the styles of cooking and unique use of spices in a given region. There's tons of foods like that.
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Dhar_2
                          meat and potatoes
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Fez Up
                          lmfao that dude in the second video is such a moron

huggie he's talking about Kachi and Pakki Biryani (it's spelled differently on the video though but that just lost in translation). The word Kachi means raw and Pakki means ripe and I'm sure he's not trying to feed you raw chicken, its probably just in the way its made
                          u sure its not Karachi chicken?

Comment

• Kamal
                            Administrator
                            • May 2002

if Karachi is what he meant to say and he said Kachi, then he's a fuckin idiot
                            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Dhar_2
                              meat and potatoes
                              • Jun 2004

he's your cousin!

Comment

Working...