X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Weizy
    MCast Resident DJ
    • Jun 2004

DJing DJing with two different models of CDJ-1000

For years now i have had two CDJ-1000s in my dj setup. I have one MKI and one MKII. The thing is that they both have a much different feel as far as using the jog wheel for manual pitch correction. The MKI is so slick that you can manually pitch correct without even being able to hear the brief dip in pitch. However with the MKII the wheel is way more touch no matter what you set the Touch/Brake - Release/Start knobs. When you manually pull back on the jog wheel to slow down the track it's very obvious and you can really hear the dip in pitch...

I have even gone as far as putting the same track on both CDJs and going back and forth until I get their respective responsiveness to matchup to no avail. So basically I have resigned myself to constantly be aware that, "ok you are on the mkII now so be extra careful." Basically my mixing is much weaker on the MKII...lame!!!

Anyone have any thoughts of similar experiences? I am pondering just getting another MKI until I can afford a pair of MKIIIs.
  • kassios
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: DJing with two different models of CDJ-1000

like you said get another MKI and you ll be fine
    http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

wow, i actually thought the mk2 was supposed to be better than the 1 but i guess it's all up to personal preference. I've never had a CDJ in my house. I'd love to have some, but I've spun on all three models but only in clubs and at times like that you don't really focus on the intricacies of the decks. I'm now thinking of picking up a MK1 for myself.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• kassios
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

I think on the MKIII's you can adjust the jog wheels sensitivity if im not wrong....
        http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• herre
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kassios
          I think on the MKIII's you can adjust the jog wheels sensitivity if im not wrong....
          yes and supports mp3...

Comment

• Weizy
            MCast Resident DJ
            • Jun 2004

right now I am scouring the web for a cheap mkI and hopefully I will get rid of my mkII until I can afford a new pair or MKIIIs...

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

get rid of both and get a pair of cdj400's =)

Comment

• Weizy
                MCast Resident DJ
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                get rid of both and get a pair of cdj400's =)
                what is all the hype with 400's about? Please Steve, enlighten me...

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

I just really enjoyed using them a few weeks ago when I played at a club, very sturdy and the platter was so smooth to use

not so much hype, I mean they are just another version of a cdj, but more comparible to the 1000's then they are comparible to the 200's or 800's imo

they play mp3s like the 1000's
                  they have vinyl mode
                  you can plug in a usb and play from an external storage device
                  they have the +/- 6,10,16 and wide
                  they have on board effects
                  and the looping function is that of the cdj 200

so for the price as compared to the 1000's and for home/studio use, thats what i would go with

my .02

Comment

• Weizy
                    MCast Resident DJ
                    • Jun 2004

I just really enjoyed using them a few weeks ago when I played at a club, very sturdy and the platter was so smooth to use

not so much hype, I mean they are just another version of a cdj, but more comparible to the 1000's then they are comparible to the 200's or 800's imo

they play mp3s like the 1000's
                    they have vinyl mode
                    you can plug in a usb and play from an external storage device
                    they have the +/- 6,10,16 and wide
                    they have on board effects
                    and the looping function is that of the cdj 200

so for the price as compared to the 1000's and for home/studio use, thats what i would go with

my .02
                    ok...one more question...how do they perform when you have to manually nudge the platter forward or backward?

Comment

• Steve Graham
                      DJ Jelly
                      • Jun 2004

solid mate, that platter didnt seem to spin at all if you know what i mean.. but i normally glide my hand across it rather than nudge..but it only moved as much as i wanted it to, it didnt feel like it kept going.. i hope im making sense here, lol
                      the mixes just seemed to lock in so nicely.. i would for sure try to find someone that has them to check them out first if i were you.. but i have used all versions of cdj's and to be honest except for not having a wave read out, these have been my fave to use

Comment

• Weizy
                        MCast Resident DJ
                        • Jun 2004

solid mate, that platter didnt seem to spin at all if you know what i mean.. but i normally glide my hand across it rather than nudge..but it only moved as much as i wanted it to, it didnt feel like it kept going.. i hope im making sense here, lol
                        the mixes just seemed to lock in so nicely.. i would for sure try to find someone that has them to check them out first if i were you.. but i have used all versions of cdj's and to be honest except for not having a wave read out, these have been my fave to use
                        Thank you Steve! I have had two CDJ1000s for many years now and I swear by them. However they are pricey as hell...I do want to check out the 400s, but in the end I will most likely end up a MKIII and discarding my MKII which I don't like at all...

Comment

• Steve Graham
                          DJ Jelly
                          • Jun 2004

why do you want the mkiii's?
                          what in your opinion makes them better than the mkii's? i honestly don't see the reason for them being more $$ than the others

Comment

• Weizy
                            MCast Resident DJ
                            • Jun 2004

why do you want the mkiii's?
                            what in your opinion makes them better than the mkii's? i honestly don't see the reason for them being more $$ than the others
                            How should I explain this? The first thing I use to judge each model of the CDJ1000 series is how well does it work for on-the-fly pitch correction i.e. manually pulling back or pushing forward on the wheel...the MKIIs are WAY too sensitive. When mixing with the MKIIs if you pull back on the wheel you can very easily hear the temporary change in the track's speed...with MKIs and MKIIIs you get much looser feel that I swear to god mixes better...the MKIIs were nice in that they upgraded some features over the MKI, but the core use of it (MIXING) was downgraded in the MKII. I have played extensively on the MKI and MKII and a few times on the MKIII...either way the MKII is crap that's all I can say.

The MKIIIs have a lot of nice upgrades including very nice waveform display, improved looping, fast load time, sturdier feel and of course the mixing on it is very nice. Either way I would rather have a pair of MKI's than a pair of MKII's...

I am surprised that I am only guy on here with this opinion...maybe my MKII is bunk. If I got a chance to play on the 400s and liked them I would LOVE to save some $$$ considering the cost of MKIIIs...but the investment is worth it in my opinion...i hope that rambling answered your question Steve

Comment

• Steve Graham
                              DJ Jelly
                              • Jun 2004

no, it did, I was just curious
                              when you adjust are you doing it on cdj or vinyl mode? on vinyl mode it is definitely noticeable.. whereas not so much on cdj

but the upgrades just dont seem to warrant the increase in price in my opinion. but again, for home use I just dont need them.. any where I typically play has 1000's, plus any number of my mates have them that we use when we do our own events

so I am not so much saying I dont like them as much I personally dont have the need

Comment

Working...