X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Weizy
    MCast Resident DJ
    • Jun 2004

Re: DJing with two different models of CDJ-1000

I did actually try both CDJ and VINYL modes last night and I still could not get them work with the same feel...

I am going to check out the 400s at Guitar Center sometime soon and yes the costs are RIDICULOUS

Comment

• Shpira
      Angry Boy Child
      • Oct 2006

I agree with Steve 100% to be honest. . .I have used the cdj 1000 mkIII and I still went for the 400 even though I could have bought the 1000. I preferred to spend that money on some other stuff and thought that such a steep price increase is simply NOT worth it. The 400 has a smooth plater its (not as sensitive as that seems to be your main concern). I would even say its less sensitive than a CDJ 200!
      Now I have (in my opinion) an almost perfect setup. . .2xcdj's, 2x1210's a djm 600 (need an Allen & Heath xone 92 really) and my new found love and best investment ever Traktor Scratch...

By the way the 400's can also be used as MIDI controllers with traktor or other software. . . which is also a big bonus
      Hope that helps. . .
      The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Weizy
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Jun 2004

thanks for the input. it sounds like the 400 is the real deal and I will certainly be checking them out.

Comment

• kassios
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

thought that the MkII's supposed to be better than the MkI weird...
          http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• chuckc
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

^^yeah me too...i guess i really wasted my money getting mkII's....should of just waited and got th 400s

Comment

• kassios
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

^^Are you not satisfied with the mkII's?

Comment

• Steve Graham
                DJ Jelly
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chuckc
                ^^yeah me too...i guess i really wasted my money getting mkII's....should of just waited and got th 400s

but you got a tremendous deal mate

Comment

• chuckc
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kassios
                  ^^Are you not satisfied with the mkII's?
                  to tell you the truth i havent had too much time to mess with them...been real busy studying every other minute when i am not working...hopefully next year i will have more time on my hands to mess with them.

...i did find it hard to keep a mix together. at times it would be matched perfectly then it would fall out of place. seems like they are real sensitive....but like i said i got a long way to go and i am sure when i really put more time into it everything will fall into place

i am surprised by all the negative reactiion to these...i thought they were top of the line cdjs..... i am sort of confused by this thread

Comment

• Steve Graham
                    DJ Jelly
                    • Jun 2004

i think you are taking it wrong mate, i love the 1000's, i for one am just talking cost compared to practicality, and mainly for home use scenario.. since i have access to 1000's when i play out, owning them isnt really necessary

my other thoughts are based on not really seeing how the mkiii's are so much more (when they first came out) than the mkii's.. now the mkii's imo are a lot better than the mki's, but the cost jump to the mkiii's as compared to the supposed upgrades just didnt seem worth it. i dont play mp3's so that was irrelevant to me, the wave form yeah its a bit more detailed but still irrelevant, and the sensitivity adjustment dial i've never used.. like anything you just have to adapt to new gear, it takes time thats all

but they are not perfect, you still have to stay on top of the mix, just because you are mixing cd's doesnt mean you can match the beats and walk away and it will stay on time.. but a little tip.. keep the pitch adjust on the +/- 6

Comment

• kassios
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                      i think you are taking it wrong mate, i love the 1000's, i for one am just talking cost compared to practicality, and mainly for home use scenario.. since i have access to 1000's when i play out, owning them isnt really necessary

my other thoughts are based on not really seeing how the mkiii's are so much more (when they first came out) than the mkii's.. now the mkii's imo are a lot better than the mki's, but the cost jump to the mkiii's as compared to the supposed upgrades just didnt seem worth it. i dont play mp3's so that was irrelevant to me, the wave form yeah its a bit more detailed but still irrelevant, and the sensitivity adjustment dial i've never used.. like anything you just have to adapt to new gear, it takes time thats all

but they are not perfect, you still have to stay on top of the mix, just because you are mixing cd's doesnt mean you can match the beats and walk away and it will stay on time.. but a little tip.. keep the pitch adjust on the +/- 6
                      Nice tip Steve!

Comment

• day_for_night
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

speaking as someone who has the MKIIIs...get them. you honestly wont regret it. just gotta deal hunt. i managed to pick up a pair brand new, with shipping to canada, for $2200. www.avgiant.com (look for their ebay auctions)

you're other alternative to buying them new is to talk to shops that rent them out and see if they'd be willing to sell a pair of rentals. they do this every so often and replace them with new ones. friend of mine got an MK3 that way for $750. they discount the price based on how many hours the cdj has been rented for...

Comment

• kalin
                          Getting warmed up
                          • Jun 2005

to the original poster - dude, just learn how to ride the pitch since you have the best pitch levers in the whole CDJ series, and you'll never have to touch the platter again ... it's that simple.
                          It comes from inside, just listen ...

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                            Not cool enough
                            • Jun 2004

i usually just set the pitch controls at 6% instead of 10% which is usually what I see them at. It gives you more room to really get the decks locked in.
                            Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                            My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                            My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• pr0ficient
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kalin
                              to the original poster - dude, just learn how to ride the pitch since you have the best pitch levers in the whole CDJ series, and you'll never have to touch the platter again ... it's that simple.
                              I don't even consider 'riding the pitch controls' on CDJs to be an option. You definitely cannot ride the pitch like you can with a pair of 1200s.

I agree with what Jeffrey said, if you're using .06% pitch adjustment you really shouldn't ever have to adjust the speed unless you're making a very long transition (2+ minutes). And if you do need to adjust the pitch, a slight manipulation to the CDJ 1000 platter (which is the best in the series) should be much more accurate than riding the pitch controls imo.

For example:
                              If I am bringing in a 124bpm track into a mix that is currently at 126 bpm I just know in my head that I need to increase the the track I'm bringing in by +1.62%...I really don't have to do any beatmatching whatsoever! It will then be as close as it can possibly be to 126.00 bpms. The only reason I'd have to adjust the speed now is if I start it a bit too early or late, which can immediately be fixed with a small push or pull of the platter.

But with .06% pitch, once the beats are lined up they're gonna stay lined up for a long time, I rarely find it necessary to touch the pitch adjustments once they're set.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                                Not cool enough
                                • Jun 2004

yeah, thank God they put a 6% pitch adjustment on them. I only with they would do a 4% too, as I hardly ever go beyond that point anyway.

And I definitely have no need for a 50% pitch adjustment.
                                Whew that's a lot of adjusting!
                                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...