• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pr0ficient
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Apr 2006

Re: DJing with two different models of CDJ-1000

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
    yeah, thank God they put a 6% pitch adjustment on them. I only with they would do a 4% too, as I hardly ever go beyond that point anyway.

And I definitely have no need for a 50% pitch adjustment.
    Whew that's a lot of adjusting!
    Yes, I only wish that the 800s had pitch adjustments that fine...then they'd be the most cost effective CDJs available imo.

And a 4% adjustment option with .01% increments would be cool too. I think that some of the Denon players have this.

Not really necessary imo since .02% does the trick 99.9% of the time, but .01% would be cool for some really really long layering of tracks.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

go to the bathroom and when you come back the one has finally run out of it's song and the other is going strong. LOL.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• ShawnD64
        Quickshot the Minute Man
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by pr0ficient
        I agree with what Jeffrey said, if you're using .06% pitch adjustment you really shouldn't ever have to adjust the speed unless you're making a very long transition (2+ minutes). And if you do need to adjust the pitch, a slight manipulation to the CDJ 1000 platter (which is the best in the series) should be much more accurate than riding the pitch controls imo.
        2+mins is long? i usually do most my mixes from 2mins on... what is standard? a lot of locals i notice do like 30/45 secs...

For example:
        If I am bringing in a 124bpm track into a mix that is currently at 126 bpm I just know in my head that I need to increase the the track I'm bringing in by +1.62%...I really don't have to do any beatmatching whatsoever! It will then be as close as it can possibly be to 126.00 bpms. The only reason I'd have to adjust the speed now is if I start it a bit too early or late, which can immediately be fixed with a small push or pull of the platter.

But with .06% pitch, once the beats are lined up they're gonna stay lined up for a long time, I rarely find it necessary to touch the pitch adjustments once they're set.
        you dont even have to do those calculations. u can just make sure the pitch is on the edge of 2 bpms ie 125.00 if you want a perfect long mix, start there then make some minor adjustments and your done. quite easy mixing on these bad boys... and i am using the 200's (they also go to 6%).
        http://soundcloud.com/scd64
        http://www.myspace.com/scd64
        http://b-sidesradio.blogspot.com/

Comment

• kalin
          Getting warmed up
          • Jun 2005

I don't even consider 'riding the pitch controls' on CDJs to be an option. You definitely cannot ride the pitch like you can with a pair of 1200s.
          you should discuss this statement with Valentino Kanzyani, Cox, Umek ... just three of the people I've seen that regularly use "riding the pitch" with CDJ1000s. apparently, when using 3+ decks, some people (especially those that come from vinyl background) don't have the time to do the exact percentage calculations and they just rely on their senses
          It comes from inside, just listen ...

Comment

• Shpira
            Angry Boy Child
            • Oct 2006

It depends on what genre of music u are mixing really. I never ride the pitch...I like my long transitions around 2 min and over playing with the eq...and its real easy to get a perfect mix...at least for me...the only thing thats possibly slightly easier is getting the same with Traktor scratch.

mixing techno its a whole different ball game...
            The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
            Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• kalin
              Getting warmed up
              • Jun 2005

I'm not trying to be an assh*le or something, but I suggest you visit dancetrippin.tv and take a look at the dj mix videos very carefully. you'll notice that 99% of the djs featured there who mix on CDJ 1000s like to keep their fingers on the pitch control rather than use the jog weel, and most of them don't play raw pumping techno, on the contrary, it's mostly minimal/tech/house. I used the abovementioned names - Umek, Kanzyani and Cox, just to illustrate my point and, furthermore, because I've seen them do it "live" (as in "I've been there around the DJ booth and I've had a look"), not just because of the genre they used to play once upon a time (those were great times my friend )

cheers!

PS. I also like my transitions longer than the standard, without the annoying "waaay" sound from the forward and backward pushes on the platter or the record, that's why I try to keep them fingers on the pitch and use the EQ to it's fullest potential

PS2. and yeah, pitch riding is genre-less, if you get me
              It comes from inside, just listen ...

Comment

Working...