X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

FAO US Voters: Election Day Tuesday, 11/4

Turnout is supposed to be massive tomorrow, and long lines are probably to be expected most places. With that in mind, I wanted to pass along a few tips to help speed up the process -- please pass them along to your friends, and above all, get out and vote!!!

1. Educate yourself on the various propositions and ballot issues before you go in.

In addition to the President and other races for political office, there are a number of different proposals for state and local matters that appear on the ballot -- take a few minutes before you go to the polls so you can quickly vote on these issues without having to read them, consider them at the time, etc. The number one thing that slows down the voting process is people reading through, considering and deciding upon often long and poorly worded ballot measures. If you've already got your mind made up when you go in, you're obviously in and out much quicker, which helps keep lines down.

You can generally find sample ballots on your county's board of election web site, your local paper's site, or the Secretary of State's site (although that will only have state-level measures).

2. Vote a paper ballot, and vote it as soon as you get it in your hand

There have already been issues with the touchscreens not registering votes properly, being poorly calibrated, etc., but the biggest problem is simply that they are slower than paper ballots. In most states, you have the option of using a paper ballot instead, and you should take advantage of that option if it's available to you. Also, there's no requirement that you use one of those little booth things with the paper ballot, either -- you can do it against the wall, on a friend's back, on the floor, anywhere you can find space if you don't mind the relative lack of privacy.

3. Remember that you can't wear candidate gear in a polling center

Silly though it might seem, wearing candidate buttons, hats, shirts, etc. is considered electioneering in most states, and you may not be allowed in the polling location without removing or covering anything that advocates a particular candidate or position. Plan accordingly, so that you don't have to run back to your car to put on a jacket to cover it, etc.

4. Avoid Straight Ticket Voting

Notwithstanding substantive reasons to avoid straight ticket voting that would be best discussed in the Politics forum, in many states, the Presidential election is not included in the straight ticket vote. In other words, if you vote a straight ticket and don't do anything else, there's a reasonably good chance that you will not have cast a vote for President -- which is the most important race for most voters.

All little things, but if you use them, and you pass these tips along to your friends and family, they can have an impact, resulting in shorter lines and a more pleasant process for everyone. Even if lines are long, though, make sure you stick it out and VOTE -- it's too important to not do it...
  • pr0ficient
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Apr 2006

Re: FAO US Voters: Election Day Tuesday, 11/4

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

thanks for the info toasty!

Comment

• 88Mariner
        My dick is smaller
        • Nov 2006

i suppose the best tip would be to 'get there before the sites open"
        you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner
          i suppose the best tip would be to 'get there before the sites open"
          Definitely, but if you can't do that, your best bet would be to try to go at an odd time, like 10:00 am or early afternoon. Worst times will likely be 8-9 am, lunch, and after work.

Good news is that if you're in line when the polls close, you'll be allowed to vote, even if you're not yet in the polling location.

Comment

• 88Mariner
            My dick is smaller
            • Nov 2006

can you hire a proxy to stand in line for a little while? placeholder?
            you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• i!!ustrious
              I got some N64 Games Yo!!
              • Mar 2008

Thanks a lot Toasty, for these vital pointers.

Glad I only have to walk a few paces down the street to the fire station.
              (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Dhar_2
                meat and potatoes
                • Jun 2004

doesnt matter anyway!

bush is gonna win again!

Comment

• 88Mariner
                  My dick is smaller
                  • Nov 2006

^ strange. that may be the most genius comment you've made without ever intending it to be smart. for that matter, you're absolutely right.

----PEACE-----

Comment

• simonr
                    Transitionator
                    • Jun 2004

How to Chads fit into the equation this time ?
                    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• nsite
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

the champagne is on ice.
                      ...I love you when you're not masterminding my downfall

Comment

• toasty
                        Sir Toastiness
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by simonr
                        How to Chads fit into the equation this time ?
                        hopefully, not at all

Comment

• Dhar_2
                          meat and potatoes
                          • Jun 2004

^ strange. that may be the most genius comment you've made without ever intending it to be smart. for that matter, you're absolutely right.
                          damn it!

Comment

• Aleks_B
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Nov 2006

i heard from a friend in NYC thats the adv. polls were chaos. well, not chaos but lineups...

I am really interested to see the results!!
                            Last edited by Aleks_B; November 4, 2008, 03:59:29 PM.
                            aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• Garrick
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

can you hire a proxy to stand in line for a little while? placeholder?
                              yes, you can.... a talkshow in atlanta was giving away free "placeholders" for callers today

don't expect the people behind you to appreciate it very much though...
                              Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

Working...