• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AntonyM
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2004

Re: Gigs coming up

Originally posted by feather

I'm inclined to check out Howells, Shonky, and Babicz; Underworld I'd like to, but they're playing NYE on Bondi Beach, not too sure about the crowd.

Oh and Radioslave is playing a boat cruise on New Year morning which would be an interesting experience if I make it to Underworld AND Radioslave
    You aussies are so spoiled, NYE in Sydney, is insane, saw Zabiela there in I think NYE 03 at Home, pretty sure that was the place, great night, great crowd.
    Originally posted by Shpira
    So came back last night...
    Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
    Originally posted by Illuminate
    Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
    2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
    3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
    4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Actually I'm fairly sure it's been so-so which is why I'm surprised at the coming gigs.

Caught Howells at the Chinese Laundry on Sat night. The place was packed, the crowd just kept coming and going the whole night which was slightly annoying because everyone at the back where I was kept talking and talking.

The set itself was great, I didn't spot any tracks but it was extremely varied. House, minimal, tech ... he'd play something groovy and then drop it deep and then bring it up with something banging and back to deep again. Usually I'd think the set is all over the place, but Howells is such a musical DJ, every mix is perfect, you hear it coming in and it's keyed beautifully so every track comes in perfect.

It's been a loooooong time since I heard such musical and great mixing. I just wished the crowd could've been different.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

^^^ Told you you shouldn't have moved to Sydney. Still, glad he was good for you as well !!

It actually sounds as though you had a bigger crowd there but the difference here would have been that every body knew who he was!! Once we were on the dance floor we stayed!!

Btw The Shonky gig here is on a boat. I don't do gigs that I can't get up and leave if I want to
        Originally posted by TheVrk
        it IS incredible isn't it??
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
        Simply does not get any better than Hernan
        The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Nah the room in Chinese Laundry is really narrow and long, it's no good for a big crowd: No space to move, no space to dance. Not a good layout at all except for a very small and intimate crowd which it certainly wasn't.

Agreed about boat parties or train parties, I never do a party that doesn't have an escape route.

Shonky should hopefully be good though I've never been to the club.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Which club is it. ??

Btw I will be down for this one http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=237464

Still thinking about Luciano and Babicz . I's silly, I really feel i should go because Babicz loves Melbourne so much
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

Did you see the we won the fight on the 2.00am lockout. Whole idea dumped!!

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
                Which club is it. ??
                Shonky is playing at The Cross in King's Cross

Yeah I heard about that ... so now they're gonna hire more police or whatever ... which is what they should've done all along!

Definitely check out Babicz. I've sworn off La Di Da after getting kicked out the last time!

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Oh fuck ...

Cinematic Orchestra
                  Matthew Herbert Big Band
                  Four Tet

Jan 09

Comment

• chanty
                    John, John, where art thou!
                    • Jun 2004

Nick Warren on the 22nd. Crystal Method on Dec.18th and our own Luke Fair for Boxing Day!!
                    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• chanty
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
                      Did you see the we won the fight on the 2.00am lockout. Whole idea dumped!!
                      What's that about DIDI?
                      Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• fletcher
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by feather
                        Oh fuck ...

Cinematic Orchestra
                        Matthew Herbert Big Band
                        Four Tet

Jan 09

Cinematic orchestra are fantastic live, they bring some great vocalists with them.

Ive got Primal Scream this thursday with Andrew Weatherall DJing warm-up (!!!! )

A psy-trance party in oxford december 13th i want to go to

Diggers / Burridge @ fabric december 20th with the bedrock forum warmup thing at Fluid

And thats about it, i want to save some money for the festival season (already booked 2 tickets, want to buy 2 more...)
                        http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by chanty
                          What's that about DIDI?
                          You have Nick Warren

Melbourne did a trial on 2.00am lockout of clubs i.e. you couldn't get into any club after 2.00am even though they were open as long as they like and if you went outside you couldn't get back in.

It was a farce, a lot of clubs got exceptions on legality , the police targeted clubs with exceptions , so my favourite club observed it even though they had a exception.

Violence in the city actually went up, and this was in our winter!!

We fought well, huge protest demo, letters to media and politicians etc. They are now doing pretty much what we all suggested. Extra police targeting problem areas, main problems were around a few really big clubs [that played music we would slit our wrists to! ]and gentleman's clubs

Unfortunately club numbers do look as though they have gone down, not getting the numbers I would have expected for really good djs.

Comment

• chanty
                            • Jun 2004

Huh...seems like a pretty silly idea to close off club entrance at 2am. What time is your last call at? Ours is at 2am but they'll let you in past 2 for a higher entry fee. We also have a lot of booze cans in this city, so it's really not a problem to have a bevy past 2am if you really want it.
                            Yes....we have Nick Warren..can't wait for that this Sat!

Comment

• DIDI
                              Aussie Pest
                              • Nov 2004

It was a really silly idea, it was supposed to lower the incidence of violence. But 24 Hour bottle shops had no restrictions. !! A lot of clubs have 24 hour licences. Basically I work around set times

Comment

• chanty
                                • Jun 2004

Well, aren't the Aussies civilized!! We're treated like little children!

Comment

Working...